System #386 (CLS)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mact3333

Reaction score
Name: Won L.

ML Model: CLS I

Year Purchased: originally 2005, sold, rebought Feb 2011...previously owned Sequel II and Aerius

Associated Gear:

2010 Mac Mini(Itunes/Pure Music)

Musical Fidelity VLINK asynchronous USB SPDIF converter

PS Audio Digital Link III DAC

Pass Labs X1 preamp

Pass Labs X250 amp

ML CLS I

Comment:

Have been an audiophile wanna-be since 1985...have loved ML speakers every since I heard a demo in college of the Monoliths...at the time, have never heard speakers sound like those...right then I knew I had to have ML's eventually...since then I have been a audiophile wanna be on and off for past 25 years...just got back on the train in Jan of 2011...all equipment gathered since the beginning of this year.

img0066kv.jpg

Thx Tom!...figured I should get my system up since I have been asking alot of questions from the experts here.

img0068g.jpg

Nice !! Love those ClS speakers, great color ! How does the VLINK compare to the built- in optical output of the Mac ?

Nice !! Love those ClS speakers, great color ! How does the VLINK compare to the built- in optical output of the Mac ?

To be honest, the items that made a slight improvement in sound quality was adding the VLINK and new USB Wireworld Starlight cable...when I say slight I mean it did have improvements but you really had to listen for it...what made modest improvement was going from Macbook Laptop to Mac Mini 2010, this was surprisingly noticeable...also, adding Pure Music to Itunes made a modest improvement...going from cheap old SS preamp to X1 made a modest improvement too...but by far what made the biggest improvement for me was switching the amp from cheap 50wpc int tube amp to the X250.

I found pure music on memory play to be a huge improvement,maybe because i use external hard-drives with my Mac. Before pure music, songs from the internal drive always sounded best ! A good CD player still sounds better to me !
I do like the convenience of iTunes and my iPhone, have even got a toslink input on my d/a converter in my car, great on long drives. All that music at our fingertips!

Nice system, There is a certain magic of a full range ES that just isnt there in the hybrid designs.

Back