CLSiiz modifications

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enodog

Reaction score
Hello fellow ML owners. I am a newbie to this site and would like to reach out for some advice. A couple of years ago I bought a used pair fo CLS2Z speakers from an original owner. The panels and control boxes are serial #0, 1, 2 & 3. Pretty cool. In any event I recently ordered replacement panels just so I could have an extra pair of panels so that I could keep these speakers for a lifetime (I like having spare parts for things I will keep). I was toying with the idea of building a frame for the new stator panels (not too difficult) and I would like to expereiment with these new panels. So here are a few things that I was toying around with:
1) Would it be possible to somehow stack the two panels and run them as one. This would require wiring two panels in series and powering with one beefy amp channel through the single black control box. Maybe side by side? I realize this will have major sonic implications, I am just thinking out loud.

2) Perhaps I would build one giant frame for a double tall speaker. I realize that this may have a tremendously negative sonic impact. if so please tell me as I am not interested in destroying anything. I realize that these sound great as they are, I just have this extra pair of panels and I am a bit of a tinkerer.

3) Is it possible to put one of my new panels in a new frame that I build, turn it on its side and use it as a center channel? Again, I realize that the panels are designed to be vertical and the dispersion pattern will be wrong. I was going to simply turn my CLS2's on thier side and seeing how bad it would sound.

4) Maybe I just need to buy a pair of CLS2z control boxes and use these new panels as a side speaker in my surround setup (kind of overkill).

Last edited:
Fellow Greenville, SC Enthusiast

Hello Enodog,
I notice you are from Greenville as well. I am looking for the closest dealer that has a showroom where I can audition Martin Logan speakers. Do you happen to know where that might be?

A double-tall could be built, that's not a problem, but then you only have one speaker ;-)

I'd recommend using 'extra' panels to solve your center channel needs.

For center duty, the panel must be vertical, as the dispersion of the curvature works in that orientation.

You will need a projection system with an Acoustically transparent screen though.

Personally, I'd use the new panels to update the CLS, and use one of the older panels to create a center.
Speak to Russ at http://www.justrealmusic.com/ about some electronics to drive that.

Back