Purity advice

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stereonerd

Reaction score
6 Bayly St, Baylys Beach, 0377, New Zealand
Hi MLC discussers!
I recently bought my first pair of Martin Logan speakers, the powered Purity. Having edited a hi-fi magazine in New Zealand, I had been lucky enough to audition ML speakers, but they had always been out of my price range. The Purity came to me out of a misfortune: the local distributor of Martin Logan stopped doing so, and sold off its remaining stock at ridiculously low prices. My chance to own some ML goodness!
So... I'm hoping that the ML experts here may be able to give me a bit of advice.
My main question is around the fact that on SOME disks I'm getting a top end that could take my head off, figuratively if not literally. It's not so much harsh as in cutting. This isn't true of well-recorded disks, but as we know, that represents a very small number out of the total released. I'm wondering a) If this is a hall-mark of MLs (or Purity?) and b) What can I do about it, if anything?
I do have a few other questions, but I'll leave those until later.
Can anybody help me with advice on this?
Thanks!

First off, welcome to the club!

Sounds like an overly bright room to me. Have you tried any room treatments?

My room was ear bleeder also, but room treatments brought that under control!

Some US brands for room treatments include: GIK, ATS, RealTraps and ASC.

re. Purity advice

Thanks for welcoming me on board, and also for your advice.
My room hasn't sounded overly bright with previous speakers - it has carpeted wood floors and seems fairly "dead" to me. However, my listening position is in front of almost ceiling to floor windows, so it's possible the speakers are reflecting off the glass, or perhaps they don't like the material (some kind of composite material from the '50s) in the wall behind the panels.
I'll certainly investigate the room treatments you recommend - I had a look at your set-up/room/gear, highly envious!
One of these days (when I'm rich if not famous) I might just have to graduate to a serious class of MLs like yours.

Hi Stereonerd,

And welcome to the wonderful world of electrostatics.
When I had Puritys (now upgraded to Ethos and PrimaLuna)
I noticed quite a difference in treble when experimenting with the toe-in.
I got more treble when using the flashlight - 1/3 method than pointing to the sweet spot, a bit to my surprise. Might be worth a try.
Another point is that they are very revealing to other components.
If possible you might want to start to test other cables. Then of course source and amp (what input are you using).
Actually when I had them I wanted more air in the treble an could notice an improvement when changing from Transparent to JPS also the power cables can have a large influence.

I must admit that after getting the Puritys I went over my budget about tenfold and now I have get rid of the wife so I can replace the hideous book shelf (can you believe it, it actually contains a relic from the seventies, a display case) with a Finite Element rack, some might say it's an addiction...

Anyway, it's a never ending journey

Rgds
Stefan

Last edited:
Back