System #380 (Summit X)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heuboda

Reaction score
Member Name: Gunter

ML Model(s): Summit X

Year Purchased: 2010

Mods/Changes: I would not touch the Logans

Associated Electronics:

- PS Audio P1000
- Pro-Ject 6 PerspeX plus Ortofon Valencia
- Sony XA7ES
- Lua Serenada MKII Super Tubes
- 2 x Lua Alborada MKII Super Tubes

Comments and/or stories about your Martin Logan experience:

Startet 20 years ago with Infinity Kappa 8.2. First experience with electrostatic headphones. Build "self made" electrostatic speaker.
After I bought ML Odyssey. Last year I bought the Summit X.
Tried Accuphase A-65 class A amplifier, but was to aggressive at high frequencies. Have now tube pre- and end- amps. Be aware that because of the low load on low sound volume and active bass, the tubes with the transformer output can start to oscillate. I put an 20 Ohm resistor parallel to the speaker output.
The Summit X with the tube amps (2 x 150 sinus) blow me away. Tubes & Logans = rocks!
Sound from another galaxy! Thank you Martin Logan!

Attachments

• MyHiFi.jpg
    MyHiFi.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 5,165
  • Tubes.jpg
    Tubes.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 2,978
Last edited:
Feldkirch, cooool !

... that's about 10 minutes from my place.

Over the years, I had the impression I'm almost the only ML afficionado in our region. Feels comfortable not all alone ;)

Very nice Systenm, btw.

Welcome Gunter. Great-looking system. Is there any toe-in on those speakers, or are they firing straight ahead?

Welcome Gunter. Great-looking system. Is there any toe-in on those speakers, or are they firing straight ahead?

Looks like some toe-in to me... if you look at the alignment of the black (stone?) platform under the speaker to the right versus the platform under the amp right next to it. Not a lot but definitely some. Maybe two inches or so?

Hi,

the speakers are not straight ahead. Should they? My listening room is not too long and so there are toe-in. Not too much, but my feeling is that it is right for the size of this room.
The distance between the spekers to each other are about the same distance to the listening position. I know it sould be longer, but I dont have enough space.
The plates on the floor are made of granite stone.

Did you step thru the flashlight alignment process? It's explained in detail in the X user manual. Assuming you're somewhere in that range wrt toe-in, I think you're good - although maybe some fine tuning of the toe-in and potentially even rake angle will help to further focus the image.

Then there's the whole wall treatment discussion... but it's early yet ;) Enjoy your speakers as much as you can before the wall treatment debate kicks in :)

Cheers

Last edited:
Did the setup like it is written in the manual with the flashlight. Thanks for the comments so far.

Just been researching your amps. Very powerful indeed - as a couple of 211s per mono-block in push-pull generally seems to be. I must say I bet that cage gets hot, as 211s get incredibly hot - but with the EL34s in there as well - phew!

I bet you could have some fun with my 211 collection:music: Check my system pages as my amps are Austrian.

Myabe the only way forward for us is the Amperex 212:D Cos bigger is better.;)

Attachments

• 211.jpg
    211.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 2,092
  • 212e2.jpg
    212e2.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 2,199
Hello,

thanks for those compliments. It was always a dream to heave the best possible (not always affordable) sound system. There is always something better. But after 20 years of saving money, buying and selling HiFi systems I reached now the zenith. Hope it will last for a long, long time.

@user211: Wow that is a nice collection of 211 tubes. I am electronic engineer but I have to say that even I have tube amps, I am not good in tube engineering. I spent a lot of money when I bought the tube amps to upgrade to "super tubes" what ever this means. Probably only making more profit for the dealer. The 211 are made in China but from a new made factory (???), the EL34B are made in Russia, and the 12A17WC are made in USA.
I tried also an Accuphase A-65 (class A amp) with was really well designed and a heavy but beauty beast. Than I got an Kronzilla SXI from KR Audio which is located at Czech Republic. They design and produce own tubes and amps for the audio marked. Never saw bigger audio tubes.
The Accuphase was to dominant on the high frequency, the KR Audio Kronzilla was to diffident. And because I had the LUA Alborada MK I before, I tried the MK II and there are fine for me. I missed the chance to test the McIntosh amps. I am sure they sound nice.

@Jeff: Wow your system is incredible!

@ to all: its good to have the same passion! :music:

Attachments

• Image_020159.jpg
    Image_020159.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 2,143
  • Image_020170.jpg
    Image_020170.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 2,361
  • Image_020151.jpg
    Image_020151.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 2,927