M.Logans aerius i.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
H

hsam

Hi guys!
Im new on the ML side.Im about to buy my first set of ML's (aerius i ) I need some info from you guys.
How old (can) they be.Since i cant find them on ML's website.
Is there something i should look xtra after on the speakers?
Im buying them form a dealer.(LONDON)
And how about power for them (Im using a MF KW 500 at the moment)
Cables?
When i get the serie nr from the dealer ,can i post it here or do i have to contact ML (reg how old they are)
Many thanks
Hsam
London. :)

Here's a chart I found somewhere back that is the "unlock code" for the serial number on each ML speaker that gives model, month/year it was built, etc. I finally got it small enough as a .pdf file-- hope you can open it. Let me know if you can't, or PM me and I can email it.

MF KW 500--that's a smokin' amp with a huge horsepower. Will be a cake walk to drive the Aerius.

I have Aerius i rears, and listen to them occasionally in the rear-only mode or front/rear together mode sometimes. You'll enjoy the speaker!

Attachments

• ML Serial Number Codes.pdf
    44.3 KB · Views: 19,019
Last edited:
undefined
hsam said:
Hi guys!
Im new on the ML side.Im about to buy my first set of ML's (aerius i ) I need some info from you guys.
How old (can) they be.Since i cant find them on ML's website.
Is there something i should look xtra after on the speakers?
Im buying them form a dealer.(LONDON)
And how about power for them (Im using a MF KW 500 at the moment)
Cables?
When i get the serie nr from the dealer ,can i post it here or do i have to contact ML (reg how old they are)
Many thanks
Hsam
London. :)
Hi Hsam,I,ve used Aerius speakers now for 3 years and in a small to medium room nothing comes close!As for power the MF is fine however if you really want them to sing valves are the way to go,as for cable it,s your choice on sound but mine sound great with Chord cables.
happy listening Alex

M.logans

Is they 2 versions of the aerius? (A bi-wire and a non bi-wire) Is that why its called aerius and aerius i.
Pls help,before i buy a pair? :(

hsam said:
Is they 2 versions of the aerius? (A bi-wire and a non bi-wire) Is that why its called aerius and aerius i.
Pls help,before i buy a pair? :(
All things being equal, get the later version the version "i".

Things they changed/improved on the "i":

1. Power supply turns on with signal. The older Aerius is on all the time collecting dust from the positively charged strator panel.

2. I think the stock cone spike feet are larger on the "i".

3. They tweeked the "i" to have higher extended highs, and took out the frequency bump that makes you hear master tape, tape hiss (Windom Hill CD's).

4. The "i" will be a few years younger, maybe not fresher if the stator panels were never changed out - ask for a history.

5. I am pretty sure they are both sealed woofers and not ported. I have the original sealed "Aerius" and love them. Maybe a Aerius-i owner can chime in. I think I recall something about a woofer change, not sure what it may be.

6. I am pretty sure that at one time, an owner could of upgraded their power supply and board to an "i" standard. However it was a little expensive to do at the same time as changing strator panels.

Hi all,

Have owned the i's for the past 8 years. About 2 years ago, I purchased the new panels. Have checked thru my files and found an original Aerius brochure. Here are some of the published differences:

Freq. Response:
Aerius: 40-20,000
Aerius i: 40-22,000

Crossover Freq.:
Aerius: 500 Hz
Aerius i: 450 Hz

Sensitivity:
Aerius: 89 db/2.83 volts
Aerius i: 87 db/2.83 volts

As you can see, the i uses slightly more panel frequency. This probably accounts for the slightly lower sensitivity.

Also, the woofers in both models are not ported. The spikes appear to be the same. Both models offered bi-wire capability as options. And, of course, the power supply turns on with a signal, as kach stated.

Hope this helps.

My System: http://67.19.167.226/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=222

kach22i said:
All things being equal, get the later version the version "i".

Things they changed/improved on the "i":

1. Power supply turns on with signal. The older Aerius is on all the time collecting dust from the positively charged strator panel.

If my memory has not given totally out (and it may), I believe I recently read where the power supply turn on via signal was after a certain date with ML, and I believe it was 1994.

Can anyone confirm that?

I did not know the crossover and sensitivity differed.

Heard the "i" driven by a modest Marantz reciever once, no strain, no lack of loudness either, but it was a small demo room.

The upgraded spikes I have from M/L do make a slight positive difference, there are some pretty cool looking aftermarket ones too.

M.logan aerius i serie nr.

Just got the serie nr from the dealer.
AEIH 498i and 499i.Does that means that there are from 98 or 99 :confused:
HELP....

hsam said:
Just got the serie nr from the dealer.
AEIH 498i and 499i.Does that means that there are from 98 or 99 :confused:
HELP....
Someone recently posted a link which explains the serial numbers, search around for it.

The Aerius-i speakers with the turn on power supply have a little red light on the lower front panel. If an owner installed a turn on power supply on an original Aerius I guess it would not have the light. You don't need a turn on power supply, but it is an upgrade.

M.logan aerius serie nr.

As far as i can see they are from aug 1997.
So is there something i need to look xtra for.How long will the panels last(i think thats what they called) :confused

Best cable 4 the aerius i.

1/ MIT 750 bi-wire
2/ kimber 8 TC
3/ Vdh
4/ Nordost blue heaven.

Augist of 1997 is what I determined also.

There are many things that will determine if the panels need to be replaced. Such as: how often were they played, the environment-I.E cats, dogs, smoke and probably the overall care of the speaker.

Also see if you can get the serial numbers on the back of the box itself. The panels have their own serial number. The "box" will actually tell you the manufacture date. My guess is it the same.

If the price is right and you feel good about it then buy them. The first thing I would do is vacuum the panels after some listening. Look at the panels closely for "dots". This is dust mostly but can be accumulated from years and also may have become discolored too. There is also washing of the panels which may help. I am sure there are replacement panels available as well as electronics and if these are not the "i" version you may be able to get the "i" electronics.

I do not want to scare you, just make you aware of as much as possible. Most ML owners are people that take very good care of their stiuff. :D

Good Luck

Jeff :cool:

Should get them 2morrow.

I have looked at pic's of the aerius i on the web and can see that some have butterfly plugs and some with other connections,have many times have M.logan change there bi-wire connection on the back?(the model i bought has there connections like a square) And not like an angel (hope you understand me) :confused:

Take a photo and post the picture.

Nordost makes a "Z-Plug" that fits nicely into the hole in the back of the typical terminal post.

LaserMark4 said:
If my memory has not given totally out (and it may), I believe I recently read where the power supply turn on via signal was after a certain date with ML, and I believe it was 1994.

Can anyone confirm that?

It was from Mid 1993 I believe.

The KW500 will be a great amp for your Aerius. Follow the others' lead in decoding the serial numbers, and also watch for panels that have been changed (the panel serial number is decoded in the same way. ).

All the best.

Serie nr.

Where do a see the panels serie nr???
Reg serie nr on the speakers it is correct,but the boxes are marked as 2001. :confused:

Last edited:
The "box" serial numbers are on the back. The serial numbers for the panels are on the back of the panels at the top and I think in the left corner.

Jeff :cool:

Serie nr.

Just had a look.(the serie nr on the panels are the same as the speakers).So it must be the orig panels. :)

Latest posts

Back