System #378 (Quest Z)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krazikiwi

Reaction score
1. Member Name: F Jeff

2. Location: Middle Earth, New Zealand

3. ML Model(s): Quest Z

4. Year Purchased: 1996

5. Mods/Changes: Resprayed failing surfaces in Piano Black gloss finish, ML Quest z's vertically bi-amped, newer ML spikes.

6. Associated Electronics: Michell Gyrodec, SME 309 & V, Benz, Koetsu, EAD DAC & Transport, Sony SCD XA777ES SACD, Magnum Dynalab Etude Tuner, Jeff Rowland Consummate pre amp & phonos with 2x Model 8 power amps, Cardas Hexlink Golden 5-C balanced end to end.

7. Comments and/or stories about your Martin Logan experience: The long road to Martin Logan began with KEF Concerto speakers which gave way to Magnapans (I could never own another ‘normal cone speaker’ again!), migration without said planars got me into Quad ESL 57’s to tide me over until repatriation of my gear some 5 years later.

It was on one of my many business trips to the US that I first heard Martin Logans demonstrated in Denver that I realised I could have 3 dimensional bass together with the ‘stat’ sound. Finding amps that could ‘do the business’ was an entirely different act altogether. I would say that 85% of the demos I heard were harsh, downright unlistenable (to me) and often it was the amp that either had not enough current or I simply did not like the sonic ‘hifi’ signature of them. It was clear to me that MLs were incredibly revealing and took no prisoners in exposing what was in the chain before them.

I finally found (by accident) the American amp with the closest audio and musical signature to my valve Quad amps but with the V8 delivery the MLs required – Jeff Rowland Design Group.

Once this was finally sorted, I set about finding ‘my’ MLs......they appeared as 8 month customer owned out of Oxford HiFi in the UK and I duly shipped them back to Germany where I lived. Fine tuning (taming!) the system was done with Cardas cables as I was too chicken to go with a more ‘open’ cable in case I got the ‘edginess’ I had so often heard in demos around the US.

My music tastes are universal but Jazz, Italian Baroque followed by rock and other classical are the order I like my music.

The MLs are not perfect, they do not have the ‘air’ of my Maggies or the absolute purity of mid range of my veteran Quad ESLs but they do (IMHO) all things so well, enough of the time, that I can accept their compromises. They are unique and I constantly smile in wonder when I sit down and discover performances and music events via LP, CD, SACD and FM.

What else can make one smile every time one gets up after a ‘music session’ after all these years.........only a live concert can, my Martin Logans are my next best thing!

All these years and no more ‘upgrade-itis’!

Take care
Jeff

Attachments

• DSC_0101.jpg
    DSC_0101.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 1,608
More Jeff Rowland - spot the difference

Thanks Gents,

I also consider the insides of Jeff Rowland's amps to be art in itself, too good to close off, he actually made perspex covers for those who wanted to 'enjoy the view'.

See if you can see what is different about the rest of his gear here.

Jeff

Attachments

• DSC_0079.jpg
    DSC_0079.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 1,321
Never mind the finish Sir, feel the width

Try this close up of Jeff Rowland's pre amp stages, ever seen this custom finish, it is the only one Jeff Rowland agreed to do (that I know of). The Magnum Dynalab Etude is amazing to listen to classical public radio on, the exterior finish was a bit disappointing, its signal amplifier is better finished. Spot the restored Nakimichi 1000II, it rarely gets used but it is a piece of engineering and art (in its day) that pulled amazing sound off cassette tape.

Jeff

Attachments

• DSC_0083.jpg
    DSC_0083.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,301
Last edited:
Old School - Hi Res Analogue

For those of us who never left analogue. This is my 3rd Michell TT, I asked John Michell to make it with the materials I chose, he didn't like the colour mix but agreed to do it. Likewise the SME arms were also custom built, the 309 is in fact mechanically a V but with the 309 tube and removable headshell. Both have Van den Hul cabling running balanced into the 2x Jeff Rowland phono preamps.

Attachments

• DSC_0114.jpg
    DSC_0114.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 1,695
Last edited:
Early Digital Man

Red Book is not just for Maoists. The two EAD 7000 units are linked with ST&T multimode glassfibre with the DAC running balanced to the Jeff Rowland Consummate pre amp. Running the iTouch with ALAC lossless via the Wadia 170i Transport into the EAD DAC is interesting. A liquid music server is next but for hi res digital downloads........work in progress.

Attachments

• DSC_0125.jpg
    DSC_0125.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 1,392
Last edited:
Is your last name Midas by any chance?

Will the Model 8 fascias be getting "the touch" as well at some point?

Some gorgeous gear there mate! Now you have me imagining gold plated CLXs ;)

BTW, I just saw in the news that a quake has rocked middle-earth. All OK at your coord I hope...?

His middle name is probably Goldfinger !

And I thought Bernard was going to say Goldmember!

Yup, it's official, we hifi'ers come in all shapes and sizes........and colours apparently.

No Todd, the Model 8's will stay in their 'natural polished aluminium' state, they are works of art IMHO.

For Amey01 across 'the ditch', here is a side shot of the piano gloss black finish...........it is actually Toyota Onyx Black with a few coats of clear laquer......spot my left foot reflection.

If any of you have read 'Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance' by Robert Pirsig you will find that the original Greek word for art was 'techno'......we like our hifi technology playing the art form music but how many manufacturers actually make art?......it is a great book BTW.....

Yes, sadly part of New Zealand is seriously in trouble, it is our largest natural tragedy in modern times........

Jeff

Attachments

• DSC_0179comp.jpg
    DSC_0179comp.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 962
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back