The Unmoderated Latina Vocal Recommended Recordings Thread

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MARTA GOMEZ: AFRI-SPAANS
I finally received the CD today, after what seemed like an interminable wait. Another incredible CD from Marta. It has a mixture of nostalgic and upbeat songs. That last song on the video delivered all that it promised; it was nice to hear the growl of the cello, which was unexpected, and it also has a gorgeous violin section. Highly recommended.

Last edited:
XIOMARA LAUGART: XIOMARA

Another nice CD from Xiomara, again on the Chesky label. The first track is quintessentially Cuban. I like a lot of the other tracks, but have one major reservation: the famed "Moliendo Cafe". She sings it well, but the song is screwed up by the damned electric guitar. It sounds like crap on this track.

where's a wardrobe malfunction when you really need one?

where's a wardrobe malfunction when you really need one?
Okay, you got me - what the dickens are you talking about? I assume your comment is related to my use of the word "crap".

Re: that track, the intro sounds like the intro to a piece of rock, not Latin music. The musicians really buggered up this one, to the extent that I cannot listen to it - I do not like rock.

Okay, you got me - what the dickens are you talking about? I assume your comment is related to my use of the word "crap".

Re: that track, the intro sounds like the intro to a piece of rock, not Latin music. The musicians really buggered up this one, to the extent that I cannot listen to it - I do not like rock.

Hi Bernard... I should have "quoted" just the picture as your comment was totally unrelated. I was in 15yr-old-boy-mode - wondering what a broken clasp on the back of Ms Xiomara's black dress might have "produced".

I forget you're in Canada. A few years ago during a marginally popular American football playoff game (aka The Superbowl), Janet Jackson's outfit "malfunctioned" during the half-time show and we were, ummm, subjected to some less-than-spectacular mammalian showcasing. Based on the album art cover you posted, I think most of America might have preferred that malfunction to have befallen Ms X.

And yet you don't recall the then newly coined term "wardrobe malfunction"... are you saying you don't religiously watch Access Hollywood? ;)
Does anyone else here remember the term, apart from your illustrious self? Access Hollywood? Is that about the freeways into the city?

Time to resuscitate this thread.

Strictly speaking, these are not Latinas, but they are singing in Konkani (a language spoken in Goa, India), which is derived from Portuguese (Goa used to be a colony of Portugal). This is my parents' mother tongue; I can understand some of it. The last song is a lullaby.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBzANyMQS6M

Check out the Spanish group Mecano, specially the slow songs like "Hijo de la Luna", Me cuesta tanto olvidarte", "Dalí", "Mujer contra Mujer." She has the most angelic vice and the music is different and captivating.

The singer, Ana Torroja, eventually went on a solo career.

I have both CD and vinyl of some of their albums, I think you'll enjoy Mecano.

Check out the Spanish group Mecano, specially the slow songs like "Hijo de la Luna", Me cuesta tanto olvidarte", "Dalí", "Mujer contra Mujer." She has the most angelic vice and the music is different and captivating.

The singer, Ana Torroja, eventually went on a solo career.

I have both CD and vinyl of some of their albums, I think you'll enjoy Mecano.
I listened to Mecano on YouTube. You're right, they're good. Ana reminds me a bit of Lucia Galan from Pimpinela, the Argentinian duo.

Back