The Unmoderated Classical Music Recommended Recordings Thread

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Attachments

• Ballet Masterpieces 35CD.jpg
    Ballet Masterpieces 35CD.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Hi Jeff,

I see your paltry 35 disc set, and raise you 50! :D

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938811&pf_rd_i=507846

This set is probably as close to a royal-straight-flush as we're likely to find in the world of boxed ballets. It includes a mind-bending 60+ hours spanning from the Baroque era on up. And for a little more than $1 per disc, it would seem to be at least worth a glance. The few Amazon reviewers seem to like it for it's variety and quality (sound and performance). Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Cheers

-Todd

Attachments

• 5179RIX5o8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    5179RIX5o8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 92
And on that subject... check out Orff's Catulli Carmina... lots of "mamulae, mamulae, mamulae" :D

Yup, that music phrase culminates in "gemina pomma"! I do have a recording, as well as "Trionfo di Afrodite", the third in the trilogy.

Francesco's ode to Arcangelo

For all you Baroque enthusiasts, here's a blissfully performed set of various pieces pulled from Geminiani's opus 3,1, and 5 by the Ensemble Risonanze. This is highly melodic, dream-like, transporting music. But the more interesting aspect here is the recording itself. I have a few CDs by this label "Tactus" and it is completely hit or miss wrt sound quality. There are a few discs that sound as though they were recorded in a hall of mirrors... literally unlistenable. However, this particular recording is dead-on in terms of hall ambience, clarity of instrumentation, and conveyence of the composer's emotional intent. Just listen to the first sample (Concerti Grossi dall' Op.3 di A. Corelli: n.1 in Fa maggiore: Grave) to get a feel for the sound and soul of this beautiful production. Enjoy!
http://www.amazon.com/Geminiani-Con...OC88/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1298209021&sr=8-2

Attachments

• 615CqQGpjjL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    615CqQGpjjL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
Hi Jeff,

I see your paltry 35 disc set, and raise you 50! :D

This set is probably as close to a royal-straight-flush as we're likely to find in the world of boxed ballets. It includes a mind-bending 60+ hours spanning from the Baroque era on up. And for a little more than $1 per disc, it would seem to be at least worth a glance. The few Amazon reviewers seem to like it for it's variety and quality (sound and performance). Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Cheers

-Todd
My turn to say Holy Galavanting Tutus Todd!

I think the Fete du Ballet 10 CD set is the one to jump on. It has the interesting performances on it and Decca (London in th US) had the stable of conductors and directors in the late '50s and early '60s.

I was listening to Le Cid yesterday with my daughter who does ballet, the dynamics of the orchestra and the pieces were incredible. Too much for her.

Now Geminiani, that is my kind of Baroque. I shall have dig a few favorites out for review.

Jeff

Last edited:
My turn to say Holy Batman Todd!

I think the Fete du Ballet 10 CD set is the one to jump on. It has the interesting performances on it and Decca (London in th US) had the stable of conductors and directors in the late '50s and early '60s.

I was listening to Le Cid yesterday with my daughter who does ballet, the dynamics of the orchestra and the pieces were incredible. Too much for her.

Now Geminiani, that is my kind of Baroque. I shall have dig a few favorites out for review.

Jeff

I agree (wrt Fete du Ballet) and have that one or order. WRT your daughter taking ballet, both of my girls danced (and still do to varying degrees). As a father, there are few things more precious than watching your little girl out on the big stage :)

As for Geminiani, here's another one (his Opus 4 on the Allegria label) that I had actually forgot I owned. Playing it now and thoroughly enjoying it.

Another interesting (less mainstream) label is CPO. Not afraid to dive headfirst into the fairly deep waters of classical obscurity... As evidenced by their boxed set of Ferdinand Ries (complete symphonies - with Symphonies 7&8 on Hybrid SACD no less!). I might describe Ries as Beethoven's forgotten cousin. Very similar orchestral textures to Ludwig. Recommend checking him out if that sounds at all interesting. Nice recording too.

Cheers

http://www.amazon.com/Concerti-Gros...=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1298238727&sr=1-3

http://www.amazon.com/Ries-Complete...=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1298238758&sr=1-1

Attachments

• 61Ft46AZyyL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    61Ft46AZyyL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 142
  • 610VBQzVk9L__SL160_AA160_.jpg
    610VBQzVk9L__SL160_AA160_.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 139
SACD and beyond

I picked up this disc based on my love of strings as well as to try out the Blu-Ray audio option (i.e. 24/192 LPCM). This is actually a 2-disc set so you get the hybrid SACD version as well as the Blu-Ray version (the Blu-Ray disc has no video save the setup/track menu).

One thing I do not like from a practical standpoint is that the Blu-Ray disc doesn't just automatically start when you slide the disc into your player. You need a video display for nav. That seems peculiar to me since this is supposed to be an audio-only offering. Sure, the vast majority of setups that include a Blu-Ray player also include a display (goes without saying)... but in my defense, if an ultra high-res BR disc has no video, why exclude the option for automatic playback without navigation? Maybe I'm just being an ass (more than usual).

Anyway, unless I'm missing something, I won't be playing the Blu-Ray version thru my 2-Chan system with any real frequency. I will however be enjoying the SACD disc immensely. Everything about this disc absolutely screams quality. The sound is immersive, dynamic, and airy. The performances are unparalleled (IMO), and the selections are particularly intriguing (i.e. non-mainstream).

On the technical side, these recordings were captured using DXD (Digital Extreme Definition) at 352.8KHz using a 32 bit floating point quantization scheme. This is effectively 4x the resolution of DSD (wow!). They then use this DXD master and encode to DSD for SACD and 24/192 for LPCM carried by the Blu-Ray disc.

Bottom line, this is stunning sound. If you're reading this, you have at least some interest in classical... so do yourself a favor and at least check into this recording, I don't think you'll be sorry. I'm not (well, not for this recommendation anyway... but for so many, many other things - well, that's another post ;))

http://www.amazon.com/Divertimenti-...IU82/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1298813125&sr=8-4

Attachments

• 51eFHjVM+-L__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    51eFHjVM+-L__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 128
Jeff (Krazkiwi)... are you still with us? I don't think I've seen a post from you since that quake struck NZ last week. Terrible situation which I couldn't imagine :(

I hope everything is OK for you and your family!!

I picked up this disc based on my love of strings.........

Bottom line, this is stunning sound. If you're reading this, you have at least some interest in classical... so do yourself a favor and at least check into this recording, I don't think you'll be sorry.
Todd, what's the music like? Is it lyrical? Abstract? I'm not a great one for abstract (modern) music.

Since you love strings I was wondering if you have heard the Bruch Violin Concerto #1. The slow movement has a violin solo that is incredibly beautiful. I have it by Arthur Grumiaux on the violin, on LP. This is the closest I have come to it on CD:

Attachments

• Bruch.jpg
    Bruch.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 125
J. S. Bach - The Complete Orchestral Works

From material and performers to production and recording - a fantastic set of 9 CDs.

I have some of these recordings on Philips "Living baroque" vinyl and would assume that all of the material on these CDs was issued in this series.

It looks like there has not been a re-issue of this set and although second-hand sets tend to have ridiculously high prices even with the that price tag I'd say it's worth it!

Attachments

• 51GBK9A8YNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    51GBK9A8YNL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 124
Todd, what's the music like? Is it lyrical? Abstract? I'm not a great one for abstract (modern) music.

Since you love strings I was wondering if you have heard the Bruch Violin Concerto #1. The slow movement has a violin solo that is incredibly beautiful. I have it by Arthur Grumiaux on the violin, on LP. This is the closest I have come to it on CD:

I don't think I have heard the Bruch concerto. I will endeavor to do so and appreciate the pointer.

On The 2L strings recording... I struggle to compare it to anything really, and of course there are three different composers included, so while there is the general stringed theme, the compositions are somewhat unique. I find the music to be highly engaging. I too have little tolerance for some of the more abstract (and often atonal) work that''s out there. I would not place these 2L recordings in that dissonant group. Best that you just follow the link and sample for yourself Bernard. I know you have very specific tastes, so best you judge for yourself and ignore my would-be feeble attempt to describe.

http://www.amazon.com/Divertimenti-...IU82/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1298813125&sr=8-4

Cheers

Best that you just follow the link and sample for yourself Bernard. I know you have very specific tastes, so best you judge for yourself and ignore my would-be feeble attempt to describe.
I did go to the link. While I do like strings, I find it tiring listening to strings alone; I like the balance that the piano provides, hence my recommendations to you on Mischa Maisky. I like the combination of cello and piano.

I did go to the link. While I do like strings, I find it tiring listening to strings alone; I like the balance that the piano provides, hence my recommendations to you on Mischa Maisky. I like the combination of cello and piano.

I hear ya... I like balance, interplay, and complimentary instrumentation as much as the next guy/gal, but not exclusively. There's just something about the sonorous harmony of massed strings (assuming suitable composition) that really transports me to my happy place. Plus, I'm not sure I've heard better recorded strings than this 2L release. It is simply stellar!

So, where am I Bernard? Batting about 500 or so in terms of my recommendations vs your preferences?

So, where am I Bernard? Batting about 500 or so in terms of my recommendations vs your preferences?
You're doing okay. I did like the Salas, and you have also recommended some other interesting stuff, but I don't have deep enough pockets to buy everything; those damn groceries that I like so much cost a bundle.

I picked up this disc based on my love of strings as well as to try out the Blu-Ray audio option (i.e. 24/192 LPCM). This is actually a 2-disc set so you get the hybrid SACD version as well as the Blu-Ray version (the Blu-Ray disc has no video save the setup/track menu).

Bottom line, this is stunning sound. If you're reading this, you have at least some interest in classical... so do yourself a favor and at least check into this recording, I don't think you'll be sorry. I'm not (well, not for this recommendation anyway... but for so many, many other things - well, that's another post ;))

Hi Todd,

I had high hopes that BluRay would rescue us from the failed SACD/DVD A standards debacle but apart from the odd project out there, it is a bit sad. I am working on building a hi res music server and going the download route although I think there is a lot of SACD material still available for buying.

I am away from home at present so digging out my favourite Italian Baroque recommendations will have to wait but Geminani is one of my personal favorite composers closely followed by Locatelli.

Fjeff

Hi Todd,

I had high hopes that BluRay would rescue us from the failed SACD/DVD A standards debacle but apart from the odd project out there, it is a bit sad. I am working on building a hi res music server and going the download route although I think there is a lot of SACD material still available for buying.

I am away from home at present so digging out my favourite Italian Baroque recommendations will have to wait but Geminani is one of my personal favorite composers closely followed by Locatelli.

Fjeff

Hey Jeff,

Yes... I think you've essentially hit on it. LPCM Hi-Res audio on discs just couldn't reach critical mass before large file downloads started becoming feasible. So, just like CDs and DVDs (more and more), those silvery discs of pits and flats will end up being interesting conversation pieces in the not too distant future. Sure, the "virtually challenged" of us will need something tangible to hold for some time to come, but eventually the physical disc format will be propped up right next to the wax cylinder in museums around the world. Museums where visiting future generations, with brows furrowed, will point and ponder.

Thank goodness SACDs are somewhat generally available. In another thread, I mentioned that I found and have installed an audio de-embedder that allows me to pull LPCM converted DSD (24/88) from my SACDs and feed the stream directly to my outboard DAC. All in an effort to maximize my hi-res listening options.

Whoever said digital is inferior... I wonder if they've heard well recorded hi-res on a stellar playback system any time lately?

And yes... I'm also very fond of Locatelli (and Albinoni, and Boccherini, and Corelli, etc etc etc)

Cheers and hope all things are going well!

DSD from SACD

Hi Todd,

Can you point me to this software to de- embed SACD, I am open to 'liquifying' my existing re res digital content.

Part of the journey.

Jeff

Can you point me to this software to de- embed SACD

Ah, but therein lies the true magic... no software required! Here's a link to the site that manufactures the de-embedder box: http://www.atlona.com/Atlona-HDMI-1.3-Audio-De-Embedder-with-3D-Support.html

If you decide this is of some interest, let me know and I would be happy to share my experience with you. Additionally, you might find some of the posts in this other thread useful: http://www.martinloganowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10808

Cheers

Back