The Unmoderated Classical Music Recommended Recordings Thread

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Piano / cello sonatas

To me, the most profound, beautiful combination of instruments I've ever heard.

And to that point, I highly recommend the following.

All are Channel Classics Multi channel SACD's. The artists are Dejan Lazic / piano, Pieter Wispelwey /cello.

Beethoven / Complete Sonatas and Variations. 2 CD's. CCS SA 22605.

Brahms / Sonatas Opus 38, 73, and 120. CCS SA 24707.

Sonatas for Cello and Piano. Shostakovich, Prokofiev, and Britten. CCS SA 20003.

GG

PS: And yes, the sound is stunning. Somewhat closely miked with a wonderful sense of ambiance.

Last edited:
What could be a better Valentine's day gift for your spouse (or yourself) than a selection of wonderfully vibrant works from Valentini's Concerti Grossi Opus VII? Well, maybe it would be in-addition-to the more typical diamonds, gold, lingerie, new ML speakers, etc. Imagine though that you cue up this disc in your candle-lit living room having just popped and decanted a bottle of Cakebread cab. Your MLs begin gently offering the gorgeous strains of this pristine master-work. Then, well... what happens after the Cakebread is gone and the candles burn low is best left to the imagination.

This is exceedingly well recorded and performed (Ensemble 415). Highly recommended for anyone who enjoys Italian Baroque. Thank goodness for these labels that pull these works from the dark, forgotten, cob-webbed vaults of history and literally breath new life into them... true resurrections (without all those messy religious implications).

Anyway, if you can at all tolerate Locatelli, Corelli, Vivaldi, etc... you will most likely appreciate Giuseppe Valentini as well. I know I do.

Cheers

http://www.amazon.com/Valentini-Con...C2D7/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1297011410&sr=8-4

Attachments

• 512ycXaU+dL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    512ycXaU+dL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 120
Todd, have you scoured the Erato, Harmonia Mundi, and DG Archiv labels for Baroque works?

Todd, have you scoured the Erato, Harmonia Mundi, and DG Archiv labels for Baroque works?

Scouring is such an abrasive term. (sorry, couldn't resist)

I have dozens of CDs from those well-known labels, but lately have been interested in more obscure offerings from less known labels. CPO, Brilliant, Pentatone, Divine Art, etc.

Across the very broad landscape of classical releases, I feel as though I've barely taken a single step in my journey of personal discovery - which is why I place such high value on forum threads such as this.

Cheers

Todd,

Would highly encourage you to explore the Pentatone catalog.

Many rich recordings and consistently good sound.

Speaking of good sound, anyone here like George Crumb?

Available on the "Bridge" label. Admittedly contemporary and may take some getting used to.

If you want a taste, try "Orchestral Music"(Bridge 9174), which contains "A Haunted Landscape".

I know it's not Bernard's cup to tea but, to me, pretty interesting stuff.

Gordon

Davidov Cello Concertos

In keeping with my semi-obscure theme (because obscure is my middle name... or is that obtuse? or maybe obscene...) anyway, here's a gorgeous little set of concertos for cello, piano, and orchestra. To me, this really captures that soft, dreamy, melodic aura of 19th century Russian romantic period composition. Stellar recording from the Alto label (love these off-road labels).

Have the leesten commrads... you vill like, da!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00354NBFO/ref=oss_product

Attachments

• 51Iepl4DN1L__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    51Iepl4DN1L__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 111
For anyone who enjoys audio-only operatic performances (and frankly, I usually do not... but this is an exception), you might consider Humperdinck's classic Hansel and Gretel (EMI CDS 7 54022 2). Superb sonics, wonderful performances by every single cast member (not a clinker in the bunch), and one of the very few operatic works I own that is completely engaging. You know how you'll spin-up a disc and somewhere just a few minutes in your mind wonders and you start mentally cueing up the next disc? That just hasn't happened to me while listening to this work.

There are many, many versions of this opera, but to my ear, and according to several reviews, this one is high on the list. Barbara Bonney shines (as usual).

You can pick up this outstanding 2CD release for under $5 + shipping right now (used - rated "very good") on Amazon. A steal to say the very least. It also includes a comprehensive and THICK Libretto with artwork, photos, and of course, all the dialogue - in English even :)

Beware of German witches with child-sized ovens.

Attachments

• 51rnSBeBzgL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    51rnSBeBzgL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 97
Beethoven: Farewell to the Piano

A couple of decades ago, when my niece was studying piano, she came across sheet music of a piece of music called "Farewell to the Piano", which was attributed to Beethoven, but is most likely not by him. One comment I read was that it was attributed to him to try and make it more popular.

In any case she did a great job of it, but she moved away so I can no longer exult in the music; she always played it very expressively. It has the qualities of a Beethoven composition (sad but strong; you always feel Ludwig is in control in all of his compositions).

I have been looking for a recording of it that I like, for a very long time. I found one by a Jeanne Newhall, who plays it "en passant", i.e. with no soul. There are a bunch on YouTube (including one where you wonder if the performer is in a rush to get somewhere else), most of which are not very good. My niece's version reigns supreme. I also found a CD called "Beethoven for Elegant Dining", where it is orchestrated, but loses all feeling.

If anyone comes across a recording other than the YouTube stuff, please let me know.

For anyone who might be interested, I was just at ClassicsOnline nosing about and saw that they're running a special on two spanking new Naxos sampler discs. You'll see them off to the right of their home page. If you download music, and if you like classical, and if you like exploring new releases, and if you have $2.98, and if you have similar little voices in your head as mine... you may want to take a few minutes to check these out. They're 320k resolution, so not far off from redbook (I'm listening to Debussy right now and so far no migraines or blood trailing from the ears). FWIW

Cheers

Attachments

• Naxos-Feb-2011-SamplerI.gif
    Naxos-Feb-2011-SamplerI.gif
    18.4 KB · Views: 73
  • Naxos-Feb-2011-SamplerII.gif
    Naxos-Feb-2011-SamplerII.gif
    19.3 KB · Views: 77
Todd, I listened to samples from both disks. I think I prefer the second one.

Me too... although I like them both more than usual because of the almost free nature :) and the fact that the let you really explore a wide variety of works.

karajan2560061.jpg

Here's one for even the novice classical listener. It has a nice mix of composers and some music you most likely have heard at some point in your life. Maybe on a Bugs Bunny cartoon and didn't know it was classical music.

Deutsche Grammophon has high quality production and good vinyl, that plays quiet. Do note that the gatefold jacket is printed in German.

Track List :
1.Holst The Planets op 32 Mars The Bringer Of War
2.Offenbach Orphee Aus Engers Ouverture
3.Strauss An Der Schonen Blauen Donau Op 314 Walzer
4.Mozart Die Zauberflote Magic Flute Ouverture
5.Offenbach Les Contes D Hoffman Barcarole
6.Prokofieff Symphonie Classique op 25

Re the post immediately above, I have a pre-digital LP of Strauss waltzes by von Karajan, and highly recommend it for light classical music.

Here's one for even the novice classical listener. It has a nice mix of composers and some music you most likely have heard at some point in your life. Maybe on a Bugs Bunny cartoon and didn't know it was classical music.

Deutsche Grammophon has high quality production and good vinyl, that plays quiet. Do note that the gatefold jacket is printed in German.

Track List :
1.Holst The Planets op 32 Mars The Bringer Of War
2.Offenbach Orphee Aus Engers Ouverture
3.Strauss An Der Schonen Blauen Donau Op 314 Walzer
4.Mozart Die Zauberflote Magic Flute Ouverture
5.Offenbach Les Contes D Hoffman Barcarole
6.Prokofieff Symphonie Classique op 25

So funny that you mention Bugs... a crystal clear early guidepost for me wrt my enjoyment of classical music. Those shows were peppered with Wagner and Rossini amongst others. "What's Opera Doc" being perhaps the all-time ultimate cartoon period, ever, in the existence of cell-based animation! I would kill (da wabbit) for one of those original cells! Of course "The Rabbit of Seville" is another landmark as well.

Attachments

• chuck_jones-opera-set.jpg
    chuck_jones-opera-set.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 141
  • bugs-bunny-barber.jpg
    bugs-bunny-barber.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 147
La Fille mal Gardee - Herold/Lanchbery

Well this is a find!

Todd, thanks for your Italian Baroque recommendations, it is my second love after Jazz.

This is a recommendation from very early in my classical exploration.

This recording of Ferdinand Hérold's score for "La Fille Mal Gardée" was adapted by John Lanchbery for the Royal Ballet and first released by Decca on LP in Mono and then Stereo -SXL 2313.
La Fille mal Gardee LP.jpg
It has so many different paces going on within the album but the startling realisation for me was just how much resolution there was on the original recording back in 1960. It made realise that this aging vinyl medium has so much to offer in terms of historical musical performances, stuff we cannot always get on CD although thankfully this one is. It is also on Decca and in fact is the complete piece.
La Fill mal Gardee CD.jpg
The music is vital, full of life, the orchestra is agile, the critics say the various tracks are 'hacked' together from popular songs and operas as tended to be the case in 19th Century Ballet productions. Who knows but if you don't consider yourself a ballet affictionado then start here...........this music, this recording shows me how approachable this genre can be and how good old recordings can sound on an apparently old archive medium, the LP!

Start with the CD, if that gets your motor going, hunt down a rereleased LP and be amazed at how much information is coming out of this music, recording and the LP medium.

Spellbinding after all these years.

Jeff

Well this is a find!

Todd, thanks for your Italian Baroque recommendations, it is my second love after Jazz.Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Glad to see another Baroque lover! I hadn't come across Herold before this. The audio samples on JPC have convinced me to pull the trigger on "La Fille" . Thanks!

In addition, I came across this other Herold SACD which I plan to buy as well.

Cheers

Another Ballet album

Well since this is unmoderated........:cool:

Todd, if you need anything on the JPC site translated, just ask (Mann spricht Deutsch!), it is a good pointer, thanks, that SACD sounds interesting, I might have to smuggle one down here to Middle Earth!

I have another album of ballet music which just blows your socks off if you are not ready for the dynamics and temperment! It has latin influences and is frightening in the dynamic range that the orchestra delivers, from oh so very quiet to unadulterated KABOOM (technical hifi term, trust me!).

It is Le Cid by Massenet and played by The City of Birmingham Symphony, conducted by Fremaux.
Le Cid.jpg
I have both the LP and the CD and it is a favourite one to pull out when I get the "you still play that old vinyl crap!" comments. I do of course wind up said cynic a bit with 'bits per inch' discussion whilst I load up the CD and que the LP, then I commence playing them together and invite the poor sod to instruct me to switch from source to source at will. Meanwhile things are thundering along (most unusual for ballet music, right?!) and I offer the victim the chance to say which is the CD, when he (never a woman thus far!) calls it, I offer to pause the CD.......et voila!......of course the music carries on (100% hit rate so far)!!!..........it is the LP that shines for resolution and immediacy of performance.

This recording is not only stunning for its dynamics, the music development is moving as it progresses and paralyses me to the spot (as it does most visitors who 'know better' about LPs)...........not bad for ballet music. Who would have thought that an english orchestra based out of Birmingham, UK had it in them to pick up the tempo as they do.

I invite you to 'take a walk on the wild side' of ballet music.........this one is unreal if you can get both the LP and CD, it will also show you what your system can deliver hifi wise.

Jeff

Well since this is unmoderated........:cool:

Todd, if you need anything on the JPC site translated, just ask (Mann spricht Deutsch!), it is a good pointer, thanks, that SACD sounds interesting, I might have to smuggle one down here to Middle Earth!

It is Le Cid by Massenet and played by The City of Birmingham Symphony, conducted by Fremaux.

Jeff

Holy Fremaux Batman! ... this disc runs $275 (!) new on Amazon. My search continues ;)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...297773585&sr=8-5&seller=&colid=&condition=new

Thanks Jeff for the offer to translate JPC as well. I took two years of German in high school (in the 70s) and have retained just barely enough to clumsily struggle through the text (and/or get myself into serious trouble)... I may well request your Dienstleistungen ;)

Last edited:
If you liked this one, check out the Mahler 4th

Hi Gordon,

Over on my CLX thread you mentioned you're a Mahler fan... have you seen this? May be worth checking out. The Amazon reviewers seem to have gone completely bananas over it. I haven't seen it myself, but am definitely considering it.

Cheers

http://www.amazon.com/Lucerne-Festival-Orchestra-Blu-ray-Mahler/dp/B004DIPKZK/ref=ed_oe_blu

Oh, and there's a standard DVD version of it as well FWIW.

First, thanks for starting this thread, I am a veteran classical music fan, mostly vocal and opera. There is a recent (2010) blu-ray of Abbado and the LFO doing Mahler symphony No. 4 and the Ruckert Lieder with Magdalena Kozena, the great Czech mezzo. Here is the URL on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Symphony-4-Ru...ef=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1297784245&sr=1-4
It is a spell-binding performance that had the audience holding its collective performance until the end.

Back