The Unmoderated Classical Music Recommended Recordings Thread

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kedar, looking back at the thread, I'm really glad I started it, as it has some great discussions. It's time to breathe new life into it, so why don't you do a review.

Oh, and I'm still sober; I had just forgotten all about this thread. Thanks for reviving it with your comments. I'll try and post a few reviews.

I wonder what has happened to Todd (tsv) and Jeff (Krazykiwi); I particularly enjoyed Todd's skewed sense of humour. They added a lot to the thread, but have not posted anything in any thread in a long while.

This Vivaldi Album by Cecilia Bartoli has an operatic performance on Griselda, second track, which is an audition track. Love it - the CD quality is average but it's the only one so a must buy. Here is the track

Also this from Verdi's Rigoletto is a favorite, the CD is Natalie Dessay, Virgin Club Classicls

That Bartoli album is becoming one of my favorites. Loving each song.

The Song and Dances from Death here is very good

Attachments

• 20141015_114111.jpg
    20141015_114111.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 46
This is a superb, superb album. Just her vocals and piano, that's it.

Attachments

• 20141015_132156.jpg
    20141015_132156.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 45
This is a superb, superb album. Just her vocals and piano, that's it.

Kedar,

Looks like a good thread to revive. This cd looked good so I ordered it from Amazon and should receive it in about a week. Maybe we can keep this thread going a while.

Gary

Also get her vivaldi album, I have put a link to one of the arias up

In 1967 I stopped by the local record store in Seaside, Oregon and purchased my first album. It was the 1958 recording by van Cliburn of Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto #1 (RCA). It had been the number one selling classical album for 9 years and would continue to be number one for another year. I still have my original although it is probably not playable as our "record player" at the time was not so friendly to records. I have attached a youtube clip of a von Cliburn concert of the piece in Moscow from either '58 or '62 at the height of the cold war with Nikita Khrushchev in attendance. It is a reminder that music touches us all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=6qROema2MDI

This is a fun disc with good sound, for CD, and lovely playing of some Boccherini. The Passe Calle from 'La musica notturna delle strade di Madrid' was featured in Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World

61JTY209AWL.jpg

This one is really good. A Reference Recordings of Respighi's Belkis: Queen of Sheba, the Minnesota Orchestra under Eiji Oue. Typically excellent Prof. Johnson's pure analog recording, dead quiet surfaces, dynamic, impactful sound with gorgeous timbral balances and some of the most entertaining music yet heard. Very Oriental in flavor with Respighi's big orchestral sound. Paired with a good version of Pines of Rome which has some similarities to the Belkis, listen to the big finale (Orgiastic Dance) and you'll hear the family resemblance.DSC01385.jpg

Last edited:
heard these in the demo of Marty's system, brilliant.

"Vienna", RCA Living Stereo, Solti conducting Covent Garden Orchestra
"Espana", Decca, Argento conducting the LSO

For anyone who enjoys audio-only operatic performances (and frankly, I usually do not... but this is an exception), you might consider Humperdinck's classic Hansel and Gretel (EMI CDS 7 54022 2). Superb sonics, wonderful performances by every single cast member (not a clinker in the bunch), and one of the very few operatic works I own that is completely engaging. You know how you'll spin-up a disc and somewhere just a few minutes in your mind wonders and you start mentally cueing up the next disc? That just hasn't happened to me while listening to this work.

There are many, many versions of this opera, but to my ear, and according to several reviews, this one is high on the list. Barbara Bonney shines (as usual).

You can pick up this outstanding 2CD release for under $5 + shipping right now (used - rated "very good") on Amazon. A steal to say the very least. It also includes a comprehensive and THICK Libretto with artwork, photos, and of course, all the dialogue - in English even :)

Beware of German witches with child-sized ovens.

I couldn't agree with you more. This is a terrific recording!!

Bach Christmas Oratorio

If you're looking for something for the holidays, this recording of the Bach Christmas Oratorio from Hyperion is a winner. I bought the 24 bit download just after it was released in 2013. It's a fresh and lively performance and the audio quality is top notch. The soprano and tenor soloists are especially fine.

I'm not having any luck inserting images of the recordings into my posts so here's the URL to Hyperion's site. You can listen to samples:

http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/dc.asp?dc=D_CDA68031/2

Kedar, have you ever heard Bruch's Violin Concerto #1? It will really melt your heart, regardless of the system on which it is playing.

Back