The Unmoderated Classical Music Recommended Recordings Thread

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernard

Reaction score
As an alternative to the Recommended Recordings section (which is moderated, so that each post requires moderator approval, hence posts take time to show up), this thread is unmoderated, and will be used to discuss classical music.

I would like to establish a few basic guidelines:

1) If possible include a picture.

2) Tell us why you like the album; don't just say "what a great album".

3) If your post is long, please break it up into readable paragraphs.

4) If you quote another post, please quote only the salient points. Please don't quote long posts in their entirety.

Carl Orff: Carmina Burana

A bit of background: In a monastery in Germany (Benediktburen), there were some racy scripts found, which in Latin verse described drinking and debauchery. The composer Carl Orff set them to music. The music is very rhythmic and most enjoyable. It is composed for orchestra, soprano, tenor, bass and choirs (both adult and children).

I first heard this played by Seiji Ozawa and the Boston Symphony Orchestra, on TV. It's funny but in most cases the first perfomances remain the standard by which you judge all others; there are exceptions, but this is the case here.

I have four different recordings, and like the Ozawa best. The Herbert Kegel sounds dull by comparison, and I'm not too fond of the Tillson-Thomas, either. The Robert Shaw version comes close to the Ozawa version, but some of the tempi I find too fast.

The soprano (Evelyn Mandac) on the Ozawa is definitely the best, especially when she sings of lascivus love, her voice sensual. The worst I heard was Charlotte Church singing that section in her pure child's voice. Mandac also handles the treacherous "Dulcissime" superbly.

Some of the music will be familiar to people who do not normally listen to classical music as it has been used in numerous movies.

The cover of the LP/CD shows a guy "appreciating" a boob.

Attachments

• carmina burana.jpg
    carmina burana.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 271
Awesome Bernard!!!

Great way to kick off this thread!

I'll post something semi-rigidly within stated guidelines asap.

Cheers

Karl Jenkins: The Armed Man: A Mass for Peace

This is the one classical disc that I have from a contemporary composer that I really like. It actually has melodies, good sound quality with choral and orchestra. There is a wide dynamic range and an arrangement that showcases all different parts of the orchestra.

I first heard it on Classic FM (London Radio) that I listen to at home on my Squeezebox's. It actually brigns to mind the best and worst aspects of Classic FM. The best is that I hear some orchestras and artists that I probably would not here here in Ohio, but Classic FM has the annoying habit of playing only one movement of something at a time. So I had heard several parts of The Armed Man before purchase, but I had never heard the whole thing.

http://www.amazon.com/Karl-Jenkins-Armed-Mass-Peace/dp/B00005NDVJ

Attachments

• 41cKgRkJhCL__SS400_.jpg
    41cKgRkJhCL__SS400_.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 274
This thread needs moderating, since all classical music should be banned (iPhone wink).

I may have posted this somewhere before, but it's worth posting again. To my ear, this set of six concertos from a lesser known (arguably even obscure) English composer is, at it's core, quintessential baroque. I first heard Garth on a mixed compilation CD ("The Concerto in Europe" one of Hyperion's Helios series releases CDH55035) which is worth hearing in it's own right. It wasn't long after that I discovered this excellent full set of cello concertos by the Avson Ensemble. Crystal clear recording (thankfully, and as good cello works demand).

In a sea of classical recordings, many of which tend to blend together in a sort of malais, I find this 2-CD set stands out both in terms of composition and performance. Richard Tunnicliffe is a master cellist and this recording is evidence for all to witness.

If you enjoy Baroque, you are doing yourself and everyone you know a grave and ghastly disservice by not owning and playing (with frequency) this wonderful set. My only issue is I'm having trouble finding more Garth as the liner notes suggest he was a fairly prolific composer. The search continues.

http://www.amazon.com/John-Garth-Si...=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1296775104&sr=1-1

Attachments

• 618Ydz56gLL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    618Ydz56gLL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 261
Justin, what turned me on to classical music was one of your bretheren in the movie "A Clockwork Orange". The main character, in a drug-induced haze, listened not to heavy metal (whatever it was called at that time), but to the master, Herr van Beethoven.

Last edited:
Hi Bernard,

Thanks for starting this new thread. I trust our beloved Pres will understand.

Have numerous recordings that I will comment on / recommend. Will do so in due time. Because I don't have a vinyl playback or computer based system, all will be CD / SACD based.

Tend not to buy different versions of the same music so my comments will be limited to the particular disc / version that I have.

Don't have a digital camera or a cell phone so you will have to do without pictures. Will provide all appropriate info if others wish to explore.

Gordon

Don't have a digital camera or a cell phone so you will have to do without pictures. Will provide all appropriate info if others wish to explore.

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

No need for digital gadgetry wrt image uploading. Amazon provides artwork for a huge variety of CDs. Just find your disc on Amazon then right click on the album cover and "save image as" to your pictures directory. Then just upload to this thread via the image-attachments tool under the window you use to write your commentary. Clickety click, one quick trick.

Look fwd to your recommendations. In fact, your mention of SACDs has prompted me to post another post - post-haste.

Cheers

For all you Baroque lovers out there (which I suppose is slightly different than boring-lovers... although there could be a connection... but I digress far too soon).

Anyway - Whenever I find something of interest on Amazon and there are no audio samples, I immediately hit my JPC bookmark and e-wing overseas to a most excellent site. A strange foreign virtual land where the uber-obscure is gleefully presented with Germanic jargon and 99.9% audio clip coverage. Uber-Awesome!

So, I stumbled across one Johan Joachim Agrell on Amazon, a Swedish composer from the Baroque era, but alas, no audio samples. fear not, off to JPC to give a listen and voila, a video clip to boot... an embarrassment of riches on this site!

For a young Swedish lad in his very early twenties, I was/am duly impressed with the light and lively flow of his compositions. If you care to spend a few minutes, you might find the video of some interest (or not... one never knows, does one).

At any rate, I bought the SACD (from Amazon) and look fwd to it's arrival. I emphasize "from Amazon" because the last two times I tried to buy a CD from Europe, my card companies (two different cards) immediately shut down my accounts. Apparently, any Visa purchase from the UK or Europe is considered "high fraud risk" and results in CC unpleasantness. Probably nothing any of you don't already know... but thought I would share just the same.

There you have it. Bernard, I trust my boundary-pushing (re: directing folks to a video) is not so heinous as to place me on some sort of double-secret-thread-probation. But then if so, it won't be the first time for me.

Cheers all
http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Johan-Joachim-Agrell-Orchesterwerke/hnum/6577675

Attachments

• 51qwPQlznZL__SL500_AA280_.jpg
    51qwPQlznZL__SL500_AA280_.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
There you have it. Bernard, I trust my boundary-pushing (re: directing folks to a video) is not so heinous as to place me on some sort of double-secret-thread-probation. But then if so, it won't be the first time for me.
Relax, Mein Herr, you are safe.

Last edited:
Brahms: Hungarian Dances

I bought this LP of Brahms' Hungarian Dances an eternity ago, and really enjoy it. It's the piano duet version played by Alfons and Aloys Kontarsky; there are also orchestral versions available.

This is wonderful gypsy music - very lively and spirited. I must confess that, much as I like it, I can't listen to both sides at one sitting as it can get a bit exhausting, but in a good sense.

The LP cover is different from the CD cover. I am attaching a picture of the CD cover, which I got from Amazon. The label is DG, and I've read numerous complaints about DG quality over the years in TAS, but it sounds good to me; maybe I have a tin ear?

Attachments

• Brahms Kontarsky.jpg
    Brahms Kontarsky.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 235
Last edited:
... Pylon Pig ...

Made me smile. You like it, then?:ROFL:

Actually, one thing I will say, Todd. If you get either that or the Younger Brother album, I can guarantee you it will sound absolutely stonking through yer CLX. I'd get both if I were you.

Last edited:
Justin, what turned me on to classical music was one of your bretheren in the movie "A Clockwork Orange". The main character, in a drug-induced haze, listened not to heavy metal (whatever it was called at that time), but to the master, Herr van Beethoven.

I dunno but it had a nice Michell record player in it. To be honest, though, throughout my life, classical music has just never appealed to me. I like very little, and a lot I just plain hate. In order to like it, you must be on some pretty heavy drugs, IMHO.;)

On the other hand, druggy music of that ilk is just so sonically good, all you need is a glass of port or two...:) Let's face it, though - one hell of a lot of music is drug influenced. Beatles, Stones, rock'n'roll in general...

Last edited:
Made me smile. You like it, then?:ROFL:

Actually, one thing I will say, Todd. If you get either that or the Younger Brother album, I can guarantee you it will sound absolutely stonking through yer CLX. I'd get both if I were you.

I do enjoy some trance/dance/electronica. Back in the day, my brother used to crank Alan Parsons I-Robot straight up to 11 and, being an easily impressionable young teen, I drank it in like a cheap fruit wine.

As you mentioned, Pylon Pigs is a bit less trippy than the first one you posted... but I like them both. Trippyness, when executed properly, is pure fun.

Also, while "stonking" does not appear to be accepted by my iPhone Scrabble game (Words With Friends), I still plan to add it to my vernacular - as it is, well, stonking!

I dunno but it had a nice Michell record player in it. To be honest, though, throughout my life, classical music has just never appealed to me. I like very little, and a lot I just plain hate. In order to like it, you must be on some pretty heavy drugs, IMHO.;)
I did not like classical music either, until my early twenties, when I saw "A Clockwork Orange" (no kidding). That really got me hooked on Beethoven, and it grew from there. No drugs needed, and I don't sit around like a limp noodle while listening to it. Just listen to some of Beethoven; he can make you cry and he can also make you kick butt.

On the other hand, druggy music of that ilk is just so sonically good, all you need is a glass of port or two...:) Let's face it, though - one hell of a lot of music is drug influenced. Beatles, Stones, rock'n'roll in general...
Rock makes me think that each stone-deaf musician is just trying to outdo the next guy. They must be stone deaf because of the levels to which they subject themselves. And what's with the stuff involving smashing guitars and throwing water on the audience? I'm sure too that rock concerts can be dangerous places.

And what's with the stuff involving smashing guitars and throwing water on the audience? I'm sure too that rock concerts can be dangerous places.

If it were great rock music the band would be throwing urine on the audience, not water. :ROFL:

Hi Bernard,

Thanks for starting this new thread. I trust our beloved Pres will understand.

Have numerous recordings that I will comment on / recommend. Will do so in due time. Because I don't have a vinyl playback or computer based system, all will be CD / SACD based.

Tend not to buy different versions of the same music so my comments will be limited to the particular disc / version that I have.

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

Over on my CLX thread you mentioned you're a Mahler fan... have you seen this? May be worth checking out. The Amazon reviewers seem to have gone completely bananas over it. I haven't seen it myself, but am definitely considering it.

Cheers

http://www.amazon.com/Lucerne-Festival-Orchestra-Blu-ray-Mahler/dp/B004DIPKZK/ref=ed_oe_blu

Oh, and there's a standard DVD version of it as well FWIW.

Back