Manufacturer: Next Gen HD - DVD player...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Choose an electronics manufacturer for your "Next Gen." HD - DVD Player...

• Denon

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Sony

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Toshiba

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pioneer

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Panasonic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • JVC

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Samsung

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Other

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters
TheBobGoat said:
At CES last night MSFT annouced they would be selling an add-on to the xbox 360 that would be a HD DVD player. I figure unless blue ray destroys HDDVD, I will be using my 360 and that format

The DVD player in the PS2 was a poor quality player, same as the Xbox and 360's DVD player. I can't see the 360's HD-DVD being any better. I will not be buying the add on.

That pioneer and sony's players look good. There are some lower priced MSRP players around $499 to $899.00 range.

depending how much it will cost - we will see. if its only 100 dollar addon, i will prob go with it..otherwise it will be replacing my current dvd player with a regular one...then i have to chose blue ray or hddvd

Pioneer Elite Blue-Ray...

Joe,

The Pioneer Elite Blue-Ray DVD player is looking really very good, so far...
I'm thinking after about 3 - 6 months after the pioneer Elite's come out the price will go down to a reasonable level, what do you think?

Cheers

-Robin

Robin said:
Joe,

The Pioneer Elite Blue-Ray DVD player is looking really very good, so far...
I'm thinking after about 3 - 6 months after the pioneer Elite's come out the price will go down to a reasonable level, what do you think?

Cheers

-Robin

Hard to say?

Pioneer Elite is the reference level line of pioneer gear and usually doesn’t drop in price too much. Their products have traditionally had high MSRP’s, like my Pioneer Elite DV-59Avi had a list price of $1699.00. I was able to get one from my local dealer for $1185.95, before the 59 I had a DV-47A I was able to purchase for about $400 off MSRP. The Elite BR player lists for $1800.00 so I think it will street for around $1200 to $1400.

Sony is saying $1800 MSRP for there player, and Samsung doesn’t have a price set for there player yet but is estimating it around $1000.00. Sharp, LG, Panasonic, Hitachi, Mitsubishi, and Philips have Blu-Ray players coming but no MSRP’s have been given.

Toshiba has two HD-DVD players coming, one at $499.99 MSRP and the other at $799.99 MSRP. RCA, LG, and Phillips have HD-DVD players coming but no MSRP’s have been announced that I know of.

Microsoft announced an external HD-DVD drive for the Xbox 360, it will be for movies only, and no game support, release date and price have not been announced. Rumored to release winter of ’06 between $99.99 - $199.99. The Sony PlayStation 3 will launch some time this year with a Blu-Ray player built in for both movies and games, price for the PS3 is estimated around $399 to $499.

As far as the movie industry go’s. All but one movie studio supports Blu-Ray, and that studio is Universal. But about less than half the studios are backing HD-DVD. So right now it looks like HD-DVD players will be cheaper then Blu-Ray but software will be much more limited for HD-DVD.

Photo’s of the Hi-Def players from CES'06 can be found here.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=626453&page=2&pp=30

Blue-Ray players...

Zip3kx07 said:
Hard to say?

Pioneer Elite is the reference level line of pioneer gear and usually doesn’t drop in price too much. Their products have traditionally had high MSRP’s, like my Pioneer Elite DV-59Avi had a list price of $1699.00. I was able to get one from my local dealer for $1185.95, before the 59 I had a DV-47A I was able to purchase for about $400 off MSRP. The Elite BR player lists for $1800.00 so I think it will street for around $1200 to $1400.

Sony is saying $1800 MSRP for there player, and Samsung doesn’t have a price set for there player yet but is estimating it around $1000.00. Sharp, LG, Panasonic, Hitachi, Mitsubishi, and Philips have Blu-Ray players coming but no MSRP’s have been given.

Toshiba has two HD-DVD players coming, one at $499.99 MSRP and the other at $799.99 MSRP. RCA, LG, and Phillips have HD-DVD players coming but no MSRP’s have been announced that I know of.

Microsoft announced an external HD-DVD drive for the Xbox 360, it will be for movies only, and no game support, release date and price have not been announced. Rumored to release winter of ’06 between $99.99 - $199.99. The Sony PlayStation 3 will launch some time this year with a Blu-Ray player built in for both movies and games, price for the PS3 is estimated around $399 to $499.

As far as the movie industry go’s. All but one movie studio supports Blu-Ray, and that studio is Universal. But about less than half the studios are backing HD-DVD. So right now it looks like HD-DVD players will be cheaper then Blu-Ray but software will be much more limited for HD-DVD.

Photo’s of the Hi-Def players from CES'06 can be found here.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=626453&page=2&pp=30
Joe,

Thank you for the excellent run-down of the up coming and projected HD-DVD and Blue-Ray players, I really appricate it... :D I will have to start looking and researching all of my options. I am difinately planning to purchase a Blue-Ray player this year sometime.

Thanks again, Joe

Cheers

-Robin

Latest posts

Back