What Are You Listening To Right Now?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just checking some of these out now. The technique is to wait for a few posts, then fire up Spotify or some other music streaming service and check them out.

Spotify - 320Kbps streaming is fantastic, but them seem to be having trouble launching stateside. 320Kbps Ogg Vorbis is genuinely very acceptable stuff. Love it.

Todd - you've done well - the wife loves Stacey Kent!

Last edited:
Genre: Acoustic Blues
Chris Smither, "Happier Blue"
Another great album by Chris, a great American acoustic blues performer. After an hour or so of listening to shuffled "my favorites" from my server, I finished up with this album.

1178222632_XY7De-O.jpg

Last edited:
Just checking some of these out now. The technique is to wait for a few posts, then fire up Spotify or some other music streaming service and check them out.

Spotify - 320Kbps streaming is fantastic, but them seem to be having trouble launching stateside. 320Kbps Ogg Vorbis is genuinely very acceptable stuff. Love it.

Todd - you've done well - the wife loves Stacey Kent!

I'm delighted to hear it!

Just picked up a copy of soundtrack from O Brother, Where Art Thou?

Great stuff!

Attachments

• OBrother (Small).jpg
    OBrother (Small).jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 261
Didn't see a Genre there Sleepy. Wake up - follow the rules.

Genre: Trip Hop

From my home town. Check out the woman's voice on Babel and Paradise Circus. Is she good or what?

Awesome sonics, mega bass. When Babel hits my Apogee bass panels it's truly an alarming experience. Masses of air movement as those huge panels shift air like there's no tomorrow, and I wonder how the ribbons manage to stay connected to the speaker.

Massive-Attack-Heligoland.png

Last edited:
Listen to the music, Bernard, listen to the music. I actually think you'd like some of it, especially the lady singer.

I've been in some of the same clubs as the band members, know where the lead singer used to live, where he lives now, and what he has had done to his house. I also know someone who knew him pretty well. Then basically stopped hanging around with that sort of crowd - for reasons of settling down/getting married and having kids etc. We fairly recently went out on a bender together to re-live old times. Great night out. Port only night, of course;) Er...:rolleyes:

Anyway, basically the album is excellent in my book.

Good story, Justin, great album!

I try to revisit my youth regularly. ;)

Listen to the music, Bernard, listen to the music. I actually think you'd like some of it, especially the lady singer.

I've been in some of the same clubs as the band members, know where the lead singer used to live, where he lives now, and what he has had done to his house. I also know someone who knew him pretty well. Then basically stopped hanging around with that sort of crowd - for reasons of settling down/getting married and having kids etc. We fairly recently went out on a bender together to re-live old times. Great night out. Port only night, of course;) Er...:rolleyes:

Anyway, basically the album is excellent in my book.

She sounds a little like Lasswell (urge you to listen to this whole song... I am utterly entranced by her voice)

Also, read her comments just above the play-icon... I love that she was "a little inebriated" whilst recording. I want to meet her!

http://ccmixter.org/files/lazztunes07/14590

Last edited:
Genre: Indie rock?
This is a good album from a few years back by one of Austin's more popular bands. Two of his most popular songs are on this album including, "Big Blue Sea" and "Metal & Steel". My two favorites are "Better" and "Madeline" for how exquisite they sound on my system.
1179292477_X4uzo-O.jpg

She sounds a little like Lasswell (urge you to listen to this whole song... I am utterly entranced by her voice)

Also, read her comments just above the play-icon... I love that she was "a little inebriated" whilst recording. I want to meet her!

http://ccmixter.org/files/lazztunes07/14590

Interesting site - how did you come across it? Nice voice, BTW. Playing some of her other stuff now.

Last edited:
Interesting site - how did you come across it? Nice voice, BTW. Playing some of her other stuff now.

I frequent Nasa's APOD site (astronomy picture of the day) and some months back there was a posting that led me to this HD vid... as much as I enjoyed the vid, I was far more captivated by the music... so I linked to the ccmixter site... and blam, thar she blew.

Last edited:
Genre: Punk
Album: The Stranglers - Rattus Norvegicus (brown rat, basically!)

This is an all time classic. Whoever said punks couldn't play - listen again. The bass player was trained as a Spanish classical guitarist. The lead player is fantastic. The keyboardist - well, eat your heart out Ray Manzarek. I spent hours learning to play pretty much all these songs on my Les Paul.

Extremely good sonics and great lyrics. The best Stranglers album. If you missed this one and like the genre, check it out. If you don't like the genre, check it out and you will:D

The-Stranglers-Rattus-Norvegicus-392283.jpg

Stranglers Wiki

Last edited:
Genre: Jazz

From strangulation to sublime aural excitation ;)...

As I continue to "load the flac" out of my Olive server, I keep finding old treasures that demand CLX transcendence... and this is unequivocally one of those treasures. Even if you don't prefer classical (Justin) or even if you do like certain ccomposers but dislike Bach (Bernard) or even if Mahler reigns supreme (Gordon)... I STILL say you need to check this one out. Note that this is, IMO, outstanding trio jazz improve based on classic compositions. Jacques has released several CDs, but this one is still my favorite. This will give your system a real workout too... from way up high (Zildjan) all the way down to the bottom most octave (the bass playing is excellent).

Enjoy! (Gavotte in D Major is impossible not to tap your toes to! Great drum solo in there too which I am listening to right now!)

Attachments

• 41zYBbiutNL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    41zYBbiutNL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 291
Last edited:
I'm listening now, Todd - but is this the same album?

Attachments

• jaques.jpg
    jaques.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 338
Last edited:
Doesn't appear to be... The Loussier CD starts off with Fugue No. 5 in D Major... then to the Italian Concerto, and on from there.

Interesting - two albums by the same artist with the same name but different. This is mainly light piano plus some drums. It's very relaxing & quite sweet.

Parov Stelar

Genre: Electronica / Jazz

Hideously expensive (limited Japanese pressings I think) but well worth the money IMHO.

A mixture of electronica, jazz, and female vocals that I continue to listen to. Yes, me the guy who listens to alot of Mahler. :eek:

Very tame by your standards Justin but others may find it to be worthwhile.

Parov Stelar / Seven and Storm.

And if you like this, same artist, Rough Cuts.

Other releases by this artist are no where close to the above two recommends.

GG

Latest posts

Back