What Are You Listening To Right Now?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Justin, would it not make more sense to have one thread per genre, with the genre identified in the thread title, so that you do not have to wade through a pile of recommendations that are of no interest to you? I have that problem with the Sunday Morning thread, i.e. most of the recommendations are of zero interest to me.

Took a listen on Amazon, and immediately ordered a copy.

Turns out he has quite a story. In 2001 he developed a rare neurologic condition called Focal Dystonia, was no longer able to play guitar. He eventually taught himself to play left handed, and now has started performing again, accompanied by a chamber music group, and lecturing about overcoming his disease. He apparently spoke at a TedX seminar in Atlanta last year, and I found this interview... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1q_8pSHDBg

Admirable to say the very least. People with that level of inner-drive to overcome hardships are remarkable. I was poking around on Amazon and found his "best of" CD as well. Of the 12 tracks, 4 are already covered on Fingerdance, but the other 8 samples are (IMO) plenty good enough to justify ordering this CD as well... and so I did :) The MLs really shine with this sort of music.

http://www.amazon.com/Acoustic-Orig...ARDD/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296574319&sr=8-1

Attachments

• 41VYNMESWGL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    41VYNMESWGL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 377
Justin, would it not make more sense to have one thread per genre, with the genre identified in the thread title, so that you do not have to wade through a pile of recommendations that are of no interest to you? I have that problem with the Sunday Morning thread, i.e. most of the recommendations are of zero interest to me.

Bernard,

Why don't you start a classical thread? I'm guessing there are few enough of us that enjoy classical music that it wouldn't impinge on Justin's "now" thread. When's the last time you started a thread? You need to start a thread. Plus, you can call it whatever you want and "lay down the law" in terms of thread-etiquette in whatever way you see fit. Imagine the power ;)

Attachments

• 5001113.jpg
    5001113.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 381
I've already agreed with Todd to that effect.

Raise the threads, then, if that is what you want. There are a lot of genres, Bernard:D

EDIT: didn't see Todd's response on my iPhone for some reason.

Also, will people stop criticizing this f&*^£$% thread and just comply with the thread title and the points already made on how to post? Then I won't have to kill you all.:D

Bang! Smash! Pow!

Last edited:
Admirable to say the very least. People with that level of inner-drive to overcome hardships are remarkable. I was poking around on Amazon and found his "best of" CD as well. Of the 12 tracks, 4 are already covered on Fingerdance, but the other 8 samples are (IMO) plenty good enough to justify ordering this CD as well... and so I did :) The MLs really shine with this sort of music.

http://www.amazon.com/Acoustic-Orig...ARDD/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296574319&sr=8-1

Is he any relation to John McLaughlin? another virtuoso on guitar

Is he any relation to John McLaughlin? another virtuoso on guitar

I do not know... I would guess not as one grew up in Minnesota and the other in Indiana... but maybe there's some relation (if you go far enough back :))

Hi there - this looks like a great thread!

I'm typing this on a quick MLO check-in on my holiday in Bali. Really sad, I know.

Anyway, I look forward to participating when I start listening again (in a few weeks' time).

Bernard,

Why don't you start a classical thread? I'm guessing there are few enough of us that enjoy classical music that it wouldn't impinge on Justin's "now" thread. When's the last time you started a thread? You need to start a thread. Plus, you can call it whatever you want and "lay down the law" in terms of thread-etiquette in whatever way you see fit. Imagine the power ;)
Okay Todd, will do.

Power ? Your picture had me wondering, "How many watts?, a question my ML dealer hates to be asked. His response is, "Why does it matter? Just listen to the music". So, you guessed it, that's the question I ask him.

Also, will people stop criticizing this f&*^£$% thread and just comply with the thread title and the points already made on how to post? Then I won't have to kill you all.:D

Bang! Smash! Pow!
Okay, Justin, I will stop criticizing this effing thread. :rolleyes:

Nice Batman sound effects, but stay away from the tights :)

Genre: Trance

So the first recommendation was too much for you. Too fast, too much bass, too repetitive, too many sound effects, too awesome for your brain cells to digest.

Well, here's a calmer version of electronic esoterica. Take a virtual chill pill, go sit in the chill out lounge of your virtual club. Calm down. Take it easy. Enter a trance. Enjoy your hour long+ virtual trip.

698349322022.jpg

Hi there - this looks like a great thread!

I'm typing this on a quick MLO check-in on my holiday in Bali. Really sad, I know.

Anyway, I look forward to participating when I start listening again (in a few weeks' time).

Awesome! Enjoy Bali... a friend of mine in the Bay Area (California) went to Bali for his honeymoon and said it was one of the best destinations he's ever traveled to... I assume that meant he actually found some time outside his honeymoon suite to enjoy other things besides just his wife.

Have fun and post a few pics for us!

Genre: Jazz - Female Vocals

I'm listening to Stacey right now. Specifically "It Might as Well be Spring" from her "In Love Again" album... which seems oddly apropos given the winter maelstrom outside. Though I guess I can't complain given the mammoth storm threatening our friends down-under. Hopefully Amey01 made his flight to Bali in advance of that monster.

Anyway, Stacey's soft, velour-like voice is perfectly and minimally accompanied by standard jazz instrumentation (piano, drums, guitar, etc). She never "over-does"... just straight-up excellent easy jazz. Recordings are top-notch.

http://www.amazon.com/Boy-Next-Door-Stacey-Kent/dp/B00009YOUO/ref=pd_sim_m_2

Attachments

• 41OdclACCYL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    41OdclACCYL__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 317
  • 418P8VF2N1L__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    418P8VF2N1L__SL500_AA300_.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 309
Genre: Blues/Rock

The latest Gregg Allman release "Low Country Blues", has a wide range of blues songs including covering Muddy Waters. I really like the song "Just another Rider"! Produced by T Bone Burnett it definitely has his signature on it.

Attachments

• Gregg.jpg
    Gregg.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 313
I wonder if Justin ever saw any 60s/70s Adam West + Burt Ward action... given his geographic "disposition".

Oh I think he might have done.;) Used to watch it from my very early years. TBH I vastly prefer the TV series to any Batman movie.

Yup Adam (West:D) - post some Bali pics for us all to enjoy.

Last edited:
Genre: Blues/Rock

The latest Gregg Allman release "Low Country Blues", has a wide range of blues songs including covering Muddy Waters. I really like the song "Just another Rider"! Produced by T Bone Burnett it definitely has his signature on it.

I've been thinking of picking this one up. Good to know you like it.

Genre: Reggae.

By far and away my favourite cool ruler record. Though my copy is on double vinyl with a completely different cover.

RIP Gregory.

51MllVpRm9L._SS500_.jpg

Genre: Jazz - Female Vocals

I'm listening to Stacey right now. Specifically "It Might as Well be Spring" from her "In Love Again" album... which seems oddly apropos given the winter maelstrom outside. Though I guess I can't complain given the mammoth storm threatening our friends down-under. Hopefully Amey01 made his flight to Bali in advance of that monster.

Anyway, Stacey's soft, velour-like voice is perfectly and minimally accompanied by standard jazz instrumentation (piano, drums, guitar, etc). She never "over-does"... just straight-up excellent easy jazz. Recordings are top-notch.

http://www.amazon.com/Boy-Next-Door-Stacey-Kent/dp/B00009YOUO/ref=pd_sim_m_2

Stacey Kent looks like she needs to eat a hamburger !!! She needs to hold on to that wall to prop her up

Latest posts

Back