What Are You Listening To Right Now?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2lxb500.jpg

Where's Jonathan? I know he purchased this on day one.:music:

Steve Hackett- Genesis revisited - Live at Royal Albert Hall - Deluxe box set

Heads-up for you prog-heads out there, there is a deluxe special edition of the Live concert Steve Hackett and band performed at the Royal Albert Hall that contains a BluRay with a high-rez 4.1 mix of this stupendous performance:

https://www.burningshed.com/store/InsideOutMusic/product/523/5757/

large4464.jpg

The mix is mostly hall ambiance in the rears, and the main channels are not compressed and are 24/96. Only issue I have with it is the bass is *cranked* on this mix.
Not sure if the CD is as well, have yet to spin that.
Note that it is a quad (4.1) mix, so your center channel will be left alone. For most systems, that's probably a good thing.

Video quality for the BluRay is outstanding, and a very sane and calm person was at the editing desk, so we actually get to see the right players play, he does not linger on just the singer, and does not suffer from the *%#@ ADD every other editor seems to have. So this is one of the best concert films I've seen in a while.
The fact that I love the content a lot probably helps ;-)

View attachment 17071

Where's Jonathan? I know he purchased this on day one.:music:

Ohh I didn't know that was out already. Gonna check it out.

Also Opeth - Pale Communion will be coming in a 2 disc version with a blu-ray that contains a 5.1 version of the album mixed by Steven Wilson. :D

Last edited:
Sarah McLachlan Surfacing. She is a much under-appreciated singer/songwriter IMO. Great (digital) recording also.

Sarah McLachlan Surfacing. She is a much under-appreciated singer/songwriter IMO. Great (digital) recording also.

Thats a good one. She just put out a new album a little while ago thats pretty good too.

I've got Soundgarden's Superunknown going currently

Original pressing of Belafonte Sings The Blues. Such fun but so misnamed. Belafonte was not a Blues singer but the level of fun on this album is infectious.

Some video of their (IMHO) finest album - It's Alive.

Not so glad to see you go, go, go, go, goodbye:(

For those who like contemporary classical, check out the Naxos recordings of Penderecki and Lutowski. Both are Polish composers.

Think Shostakovich, Mahler, Stravinski, and Bartok.

Like all contemporary material, takes some listening time but well worth the effort if you are so inclined.

GG

Like all contemporary material, takes some listening time but well worth the effort if you are so inclined.

GG
I just can't develop a taste for it. I find it too abstract for me, and lacking strength.

I once worked with a guy who told me that he can't stand Beethoven's 9th (to me mankind's crowning achievement in music). When asked why, he said that it was because it was extremely strong and focused, and he did not like it for that reason. He preferred something abstract and with no direction, and that he was that way even with his work. He was a psychologist, BTW.

Last edited:
contemporary classical

For those who like contemporary classical, check out the Naxos recordings of Penderecki and Lutowski. Both are Polish composers.

Think Shostakovich, Mahler, Stravinski, and Bartok.

GG

You bet Gordon I have been a Penderecki freak since I was a kid, Great stuff :D

Thanks Bill.

Great stuff indeed if one enjoys that type of music.

For better or worse, we are way on the outside of the "bubble".

Gordon

Thanks Bill.

Great stuff indeed if one enjoys that type of music.

For better or worse, we are way on the outside of the "bubble".

Gordon
I was at a contemporary classical concert once where a soloist started singing the line, "We are not alone", to laughter from the audience. I think it was the same piece where the musicians then scurried from instrument to instrument, again to laughter. It was great fun.

Dire Straits Brothers in Arms
Van Morrison Moondance Warner/Rhino Reissue

Has anyone listened to Telegraph Road lately?

My second run through in as many evenings. May be my favorite track.

(Old Cheap Vinyl :)

Last edited:
Tonight, on my little Totems, I'm spinning Valerie June - Pushin' Against A Stone

I'm at track 3, and I thought I'd make a recommendation.

Cheersch!

Latest posts

Back