What Are You Listening To Right Now?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

User211

Reaction score
OK we have this thread on a UK forum, and in my opinion it works extremely well. You won't have to wait until Sunday morning to post something!:D

I notice a lot of recommendations are being put in various threads - this is what we need to consolidate them.

First up is this. This is incredibly fast sounding and extremely alive. It shows what can be done with modern day sequencers, sampling and sound effects. Play this one loud, and if it doesn't get the adrenaline going, either you or your system sucks. Badly.

Some excellent quotes in it. This won't appeal to many here judging by some of the recommendations, but for an example of it's genre, it is excellent. Drug influenced for sure, but if you play it loud on a Friday night, you can do the drugs without doing the drugs, so to speak!

Enjoy.

78800147.jpg

BTW: they have released an album recently, but I'm waiting for it to come through the post. Word is that is excellent too.

OK we have this thread on a UK forum, and in my opinion it works extremely well. You won't have to wait until Sunday morning to post something!:D

I notice a lot of recommendations are being put in various threads - this is what we need to consolidate them.

First up is this. This is incredibly fast sounding and extremely alive. It shows what can be done with modern day sequencers, sampling and sound effects. Play this one loud, and if it doesn't get the adrenaline going, either you or your system sucks. Badly.

Some excellent quotes in it. This won't appeal to many here judging by some of the recommendations, but for an example of it's genre, it is excellent. Drug influenced for sure, but if you play it loud on a Friday night, you can do the drugs without doing the drugs, so to speak!

Enjoy.

BTW: they have released an album recently, but I'm waiting for it to come through the post. Word is that is excellent too.

Good luck with this thread. I agree we need a vehicle for sharing recommendations. The best approach, IMO, is to retool the recommended recordings section, omit the moderation, and flesh out a suite of catagories so folks can share their content in a structured, organized manner. As much as I like the Sunday morning thread, it's quite tedious sifting through page after page of extremely diverse recommendations.

Just my opinion.

Having said that, here's the "sucky" selection I'm listening to right now ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Live-South-Af...=sr_1_7?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1296399394&sr=1-7

Attachments

• 61auR+I6P6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    61auR+I6P6L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 1,759
The best approach, IMO, is to retool the recommended recordings section, omit the moderation, and flesh out a suite of catagories so folks can share their content in a structured, organized manner.

Agreed. In the absence of that, however, we have this mod by-pass effort... but then Sunday Morning Music did that anyway, but wasn't very useful during the week. Oddly, raised by a mod. A respected mod, mind;) Not that all the mods aren't. Just that Tim does the best show reports...:)

Good luck with this thread. I agree we need a vehicle for sharing recommendations. The best approach, IMO, is to retool the recommended recordings section, omit the moderation, and flesh out a suite of catagories so folks can share their content in a structured, organized manner. As much as I like the Sunday morning thread, it's quite tedious sifting through page after page of extremely diverse recommendations.

Just my opinion.

Having said that, here's the "sucky" selection I'm listening to right now ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Live-South-Af...=sr_1_7?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1296399394&sr=1-7
+1 here.

Todd and I tried to get the RR section retooled, with no luck. I still fail to see why it should be moderated whereas the rest of this site is open, to the extent that I saw one THREAD someone started in the main section that he had a new dog.:confused: :confused:

Last edited:
Right now Justin.
I'm watching my 2 year old dance
While listening to the "Elmo Song" ;)

Listening to Like Minds sacd. Nice emersive sound. Burton Corea Metheny Haynes Holland. Great sounding sacd. If you like jazz these guys are off the charts

Warming up the tubes for a few 45's.

On deck for tonight...

Grant Green; Green Street, Hank Mobley; Quartet, The Oscar Peterson Trio; Night Train, Kenny Burrell; Freedom, Ike Quebec; Blue & Sentimental, Kenny Burrell with Art Blakey; On View At The Five Spot, Hank Mobley; Workout, Lou Donaldson; Blues Walk, Red Garland; Groovy.

That should get me into the wee hours when I like to "study some bass lines".

One album per post, please, with album art. And obviously please keep the quality up. We don't want to know what you are listening to now if it isn't that great!

Please indicate genre on the first line thus:

Genre: Indie

Thanks. Here's to an enjoyable thread!

One album per post, please, with album art. And obviously please keep the quality up. We don't want to know what you are listening to now if it isn't that great!

Please indicate genre on the first line thus:

Genre: Indie

Thanks. Here's to an enjoyable thread!

So "Genre: Shite" for example would not be advisable? That severely constrains my contributory contrafibulation.

Diana Krall

Genre: Jazz

Again, I've been plodding through Audiogon's CES coverage where they include several live room recordings (an astounding range of horrific to sublime sound BTW) and came across the Lindemann room where one of the audio samples was Diana Krall's "A Case of You" from her "Live In Paris" release. Very close-mic'ed, clear, beautifully nuanced piece IMO. And yes... I'm listening to this now via CLX. The question is, what will Diana be tickling after she finishes tickling the ivories, given that she's right here in the room with me (while the wife is out at the shops). Hmmmmm.

Cheers.

Attachments

• 51tdQMAodPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    51tdQMAodPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 1,765
Umphrey's McGee - Safety in Numbers
510W9KECSRL._SS500_.jpg

I guess they are prog rock? Well produced and energetic release, Chicago based band that is one of the hottest live touring bands out there right now.

1173854614_3Jf47-O.jpg

"Time Stands Still", Chris Smither. This is a great acoustic blues album that I just finished listening to. Actually, I like every album he's put out.

what a great album

Attachments

• Ben-Webster-Ben-And-Sweets-438073-991.jpg
    Ben-Webster-Ben-And-Sweets-438073-991.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 415
Genre: Easy Listening - acoustic guitar

Billy McLaughlin: "Fingerdance"

Vaguely obscene album title aside, this is beautiful stuff. Never boring (as some Narada releases can be). These are unusual but entirely melodic works of acoustic guitar with just a splash of percussion. Nicely remastered - crisp, clean sound and masterful performances. Billy's fret skills are not to be dismissed.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1296567230&sr=1-1-catcorr

Attachments

• 51NaA+O-VCL__SL500_AA280_.jpg
    51NaA+O-VCL__SL500_AA280_.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 399
Last edited:
Took a listen on Amazon, and immediately ordered a copy.

Turns out he has quite a story. In 2001 he developed a rare neurologic condition called Focal Dystonia, was no longer able to play guitar. He eventually taught himself to play left handed, and now has started performing again, accompanied by a chamber music group, and lecturing about overcoming his disease. He apparently spoke at a TedX seminar in Atlanta last year, and I found this interview... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1q_8pSHDBg

Genre: Easy Listening - acoustic guitar

Billy McLaughlin: "Finerdance"

Vaguely obscene album title aside, this is beautiful stuff. Never boring (as some Narada releases can be). These are unusual but entirely melodic works of acoustic guitar with just a splash of percussion. Nicely remastered - crisp, clean sound and masterful performances. Billy's skills are not to be dismissed.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1296567230&sr=1-1-catcorr

Latest posts

Back