What Are You Listening To Right Now?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jazz and Blues this morning:
All on LP
Man I love summer vacation!:D

Kai & JJ Johnson Brand New Swinging Together Again

Kai.jpg

Kronos Quartet w/ Ron Carter Monk Suite

Kronos.jpg

Willie Dixon I Am The Blues

Willie.jpg

Last edited:
I like how they kept structure, rhythm and melodies of the songs as original. Different presentation brings up different aspects of the songs, I find it to be also respectful to the composers, writers of the original songs.

Everything that TIDAL has by these guys. Discovered the Clashification Of Dub a few years ago, a dub/trance take on Clash songs, but their other albums, Physical Echoes, Too Big To Fail, Nitro etc are all good too.

TBH I didn't think to look for them on TIDAL til recently. Glad I did.

Audio quality is very good - audiophile league easily. If you like reggae beats/bass and/or trance check them out.

Soundtrack Mania!

vpamtu.jpg

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (James Horner)

Early in his career and his second foray into the world of Star Trek, this is a fantastic score from the late, very great James Horner. This “Newly Expanded Edition” provides both the original 43 minute LP tracks (remastered), and the expanded score, as intended for the film. This latter is a big improvement if, like me, you prefer more complete musical passages vs. the abbreviated versions often found in film score releases – see below.

16krz1v.jpg

Guardians of the Galaxy Deluxe (Tyler Bates)

A mix of short and somewhat longer passages from the film. Good stuff, but maybe the best part of this “Deluxe” version is the inclusion of Quill’s "Awesome Mix" – everything from Blue Swede’s Hooked on a Feeling to Marvin Gaye’s Ain’t No Mountain High Enough – all wonderfully remastered to modern standards.

6dveqc.jpg

The Huntsman Winter’s War (James Newton Howard)

Newton Howard’s another composer I can’t get enough of. Both this and the earlier Snow White and the Huntsman are musically and sonically superb, although some of the cuts are fairly brief.

sytf6q.jpg

Finding Dory (Thomas Newmann)

A really interesting score for both content and SQ, if somewhat hard to describe…. 34(!) brief cuts, basically symphonic but containing remarkable electronic (and other) effects, which blew my mind more than a few times. Just don’t expect to get lost in the tunes, à la Horner.

More Modern Prog.....

Brand new album by The Pineapple Thief, Your Wilderness.

16944yc.jpg

First cut on the album:

Crisp and clear, lovely harmonies often mellow and haunting. These guys keep getting better and better.

Ken,

My current fave is Hans Zimmer. Thin Red line is excellent as well as many others he has created.

Gordon

Ken,

My current fave is Hans Zimmer. Thin Red line is excellent as well as many others he has created.

Gordon
Hi Gordon,

Yup, he's definitely in the top tier. I have TRL, as well as Man of Steel and Gladiator.

Spinnin' some Tragically Hip on the Thorens, I recently heard Gord, the lead singer has an inoperable brain tumor and this will be their last tour as a band, I can't even speak about how sad I am about his health, must be a really hard thing to give all you have for your fans in your last days...over and over!! What an impressive man!!

Listening to some old favorites today. Now up is the Stills - Young Band, "Long May You Run", 33.3 rpm. Hard to believe that I've owned this record for 41 years!
IMG_1350-L.jpg

Simple Minds - Once Upon A Time - 5.1 BluRay

This along with the Tears For Fears - Songs From The Big Chair on 5.1 BluRay are my '80's flashback albums now that they are remixed in HighRez multichannel. The 'Alive and kicking' track sounds really good on this recording, with aggressive use of the surrounds.

Enjoying it with a nice tea in my ML cup

IMG_5987.jpg

Latest posts

Back