Page 1 of 87 1231151 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 1298

Thread: What Are You Listening To Right Now?

  1. #1
    Super User User211's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bristol, England
    Posts
    4,572

    Default What Are You Listening To Right Now?

    OK we have this thread on a UK forum, and in my opinion it works extremely well. You won't have to wait until Sunday morning to post something!

    I notice a lot of recommendations are being put in various threads - this is what we need to consolidate them.

    First up is this. This is incredibly fast sounding and extremely alive. It shows what can be done with modern day sequencers, sampling and sound effects. Play this one loud, and if it doesn't get the adrenaline going, either you or your system sucks. Badly.

    Some excellent quotes in it. This won't appeal to many here judging by some of the recommendations, but for an example of it's genre, it is excellent. Drug influenced for sure, but if you play it loud on a Friday night, you can do the drugs without doing the drugs, so to speak!

    Enjoy.



    BTW: they have released an album recently, but I'm waiting for it to come through the post. Word is that is excellent too.
     

  2. #2
    Senior Member tsv_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Great State O'Maine
    Posts
    1,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    OK we have this thread on a UK forum, and in my opinion it works extremely well. You won't have to wait until Sunday morning to post something!

    I notice a lot of recommendations are being put in various threads - this is what we need to consolidate them.

    First up is this. This is incredibly fast sounding and extremely alive. It shows what can be done with modern day sequencers, sampling and sound effects. Play this one loud, and if it doesn't get the adrenaline going, either you or your system sucks. Badly.

    Some excellent quotes in it. This won't appeal to many here judging by some of the recommendations, but for an example of it's genre, it is excellent. Drug influenced for sure, but if you play it loud on a Friday night, you can do the drugs without doing the drugs, so to speak!

    Enjoy.

    BTW: they have released an album recently, but I'm waiting for it to come through the post. Word is that is excellent too.

    Good luck with this thread. I agree we need a vehicle for sharing recommendations. The best approach, IMO, is to retool the recommended recordings section, omit the moderation, and flesh out a suite of catagories so folks can share their content in a structured, organized manner. As much as I like the Sunday morning thread, it's quite tedious sifting through page after page of extremely diverse recommendations.

    Just my opinion.

    Having said that, here's the "sucky" selection I'm listening to right now

    http://www.amazon.com/Live-South-Afr...6399394&sr=1-7
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  3. #3
    Super User User211's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bristol, England
    Posts
    4,572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tsv_1 View Post
    The best approach, IMO, is to retool the recommended recordings section, omit the moderation, and flesh out a suite of catagories so folks can share their content in a structured, organized manner.
    Agreed. In the absence of that, however, we have this mod by-pass effort... but then Sunday Morning Music did that anyway, but wasn't very useful during the week. Oddly, raised by a mod. A respected mod, mind Not that all the mods aren't. Just that Tim does the best show reports...

  4. #4
    Super User Audioseduction's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    974

    Default

    Genre: Jazz

    Very well recorded. Holographic presentation and a wide soundstage. NICE JAZZ!

    CLICK HERE FOR MUSIC SAMPLES

    Last edited by Audioseduction; 02-01-2011 at 09:35 AM.

  5. #5
    Super User Bernard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    4,387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tsv_1 View Post
    Good luck with this thread. I agree we need a vehicle for sharing recommendations. The best approach, IMO, is to retool the recommended recordings section, omit the moderation, and flesh out a suite of catagories so folks can share their content in a structured, organized manner. As much as I like the Sunday morning thread, it's quite tedious sifting through page after page of extremely diverse recommendations.

    Just my opinion.

    Having said that, here's the "sucky" selection I'm listening to right now

    http://www.amazon.com/Live-South-Afr...6399394&sr=1-7
    +1 here.

    Todd and I tried to get the RR section retooled, with no luck. I still fail to see why it should be moderated whereas the rest of this site is open, to the extent that I saw one THREAD someone started in the main section that he had a new dog.
    Last edited by Bernard; 01-31-2011 at 08:05 PM.

  6. #6
    Super User theWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Chicago Illinois
    Posts
    1,232

    Default

    Right now Justin.
    I'm watching my 2 year old dance
    While listening to the "Elmo Song"
    Click Here To See System #104
    Where Words Fail, Music Speaks

  7. #7
    Forum Administrator twich54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    SE Pa
    Posts
    6,133

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by theWB View Post
    I'm watching my 2 year old dance
    Wow Wayne....where does time go, it was just yesterday she was born !
    Dave

    System #79 - Analog is Alive and Well, if in doubt, click the link below !

    Click Here to see my System

  8. #8
    Super User
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,943

    Default

    Listening to Like Minds sacd. Nice emersive sound. Burton Corea Metheny Haynes Holland. Great sounding sacd. If you like jazz these guys are off the charts

  9. #9
    Super User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Cocoa Beach, Fl.
    Posts
    554

    Default

    Warming up the tubes for a few 45's.

    On deck for tonight...

    Grant Green; Green Street, Hank Mobley; Quartet, The Oscar Peterson Trio; Night Train, Kenny Burrell; Freedom, Ike Quebec; Blue & Sentimental, Kenny Burrell with Art Blakey; On View At The Five Spot, Hank Mobley; Workout, Lou Donaldson; Blues Walk, Red Garland; Groovy.

    That should get me into the wee hours when I like to "study some bass lines".

  10. #10
    Super User User211's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Bristol, England
    Posts
    4,572

    Default

    One album per post, please, with album art. And obviously please keep the quality up. We don't want to know what you are listening to now if it isn't that great!

    Please indicate genre on the first line thus:

    Genre: Indie

    Thanks. Here's to an enjoyable thread!

  11. #11
    Senior Member tsv_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Great State O'Maine
    Posts
    1,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by User211 View Post
    One album per post, please, with album art. And obviously please keep the quality up. We don't want to know what you are listening to now if it isn't that great!

    Please indicate genre on the first line thus:

    Genre: Indie

    Thanks. Here's to an enjoyable thread!
    So "Genre: Shite" for example would not be advisable? That severely constrains my contributory contrafibulation.

  12. #12
    Senior Member tsv_1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Great State O'Maine
    Posts
    1,749

    Default Diana Krall

    Genre: Jazz

    Again, I've been plodding through Audiogon's CES coverage where they include several live room recordings (an astounding range of horrific to sublime sound BTW) and came across the Lindemann room where one of the audio samples was Diana Krall's "A Case of You" from her "Live In Paris" release. Very close-mic'ed, clear, beautifully nuanced piece IMO. And yes... I'm listening to this now via CLX. The question is, what will Diana be tickling after she finishes tickling the ivories, given that she's right here in the room with me (while the wife is out at the shops). Hmmmmm.

    Cheers.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  13. #13
    Super User repman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    atlanta ga
    Posts
    717

    Default

    Elvis is gonna be jealous if shes in the room with you

  14. #14
    Senior Member Jimna's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    638

    Default

    Umphrey's McGee - Safety in Numbers


    I guess they are prog rock? Well produced and energetic release, Chicago based band that is one of the hottest live touring bands out there right now.
    ~My Preface System~
    Check out my photography website: http://jmimna.com/
    My live concert recording company: http://fmrecordingco.com/

  15. #15
    Super User slowGEEZR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Round Rock, TX YeeHaw!
    Posts
    2,709

    Default



    "Time Stands Still", Chris Smither. This is a great acoustic blues album that I just finished listening to. Actually, I like every album he's put out.
    - Steve You got fins to the left, fins to the right...Wilson WP8, Pass Labs XA-100.5, Pass Labs XP-20, BAT PK-V5, Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, TTW GEM V2, K&K Audio Premium SUT, VPI 16.5 & Keith Monks Discovery One record cleaners, MacMini (on Spatial Isoplane), JRiver, Ayre QB-9 DSD, X-CAN V-3, Sennheiser HD-535 (on Woo Audio stand), Adona Racks, SRA amp bases, PS Audio PPP, Mogami w/ Neutrik XLRs, Douglas speaker cable, GIK treatments, Shunyata Venom Defenders.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •