Just got my first Martin Logans! What Amp?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just bought a pair of used Summit X's to replace my Apogee Duetta Signatures. Of course now I must sell the Apogees to help pay for the X's.

My preamp is a Lexicon MC-12 but now I am searching for an amp. I am looking for some suggestions. I can't quite go for a tube amp. I was thinking about a class a used solid state amp, possibly a Krell somewhere around $2K. I think I need at least 100Wpc, preferably more. Any suggestions will be appreciated. I've been looking at a Krell KSA200S.

I will probably list my Apogees here as well as with Audiogon. Thanks and I'm glad to be a member of this group.
Bob:music:

Bob welcome to the fray......do a search, this topic has been discussed quite a bit relative the newer hybrid speakers.

With that being said in SS Class 'A' configuration those of us on the board (myself included) have had excellent results with Pass and Plinius.

Diva Ultimates - found them on Audiogon looking for yours. I almost fell over. They sold for $28,000. Gulp!!!

I just bought a pair of used Summit X's to replace my Apogee Duetta Signatures. Of course now I must sell the Apogees to help pay for the X's.

My preamp is a Lexicon MC-12 but now I am searching for an amp. I am looking for some suggestions. I can't quite go for a tube amp. I was thinking about a class a used solid state amp, possibly a Krell somewhere around $2K. I think I need at least 100Wpc, preferably more. Any suggestions will be appreciated. I've been looking at a Krell KSA200S.

I will probably list my Apogees here as well as with Audiogon. Thanks and I'm glad to be a member of this group.
Bob:music:

Hi Bob,

Welcome to the forum! I owned Duettas about 10 years back and loved them (though one developed a panel buzz that, at the time, I simply could not afford to address... so off they went). Can I ask why you migrated from Duettas to Summit-Xs?

On amps, as Dave noted, Nelson Pass gets high marks from a wide cross-section of members and I would agree. I also think you could do worse than some of the better ICE amps out there (Bel Canto, W4S, etc). Now, about tubes, if you feel like you would like to try them with your Xs, don't hesitate. I drove mine with 70W/ch Prima Luna Dialogues and they sounded absolutely wonderful together. I now drive my CLXs with the same Prima Lunas and it's magical, really.

Cheers,

-Todd

No, they are the original Apogee ribbons.
Bob

Sound like a good candidate for a ribbon/x-over/re-finish and probably magnet re-alignment (glue wasn't the best and they do move over time) upgrade for those who could be bothered to go to the effort.:cool:

Back