System #373 (Aeon, Summit, Logos)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rasmaudio

Reaction score
1. Member Name: Bob Albrecht
2. Location: New Berlin
3. ML Model: Aeon, Summit, Logos
4. Year Purchased: 2007, 2004
5. Mods/Changes: Not using woofers on Summit

6. Associated Equipment:

Magneplanar Tympani IV bass panels (modified)
Eminent Technology TRW-17 Rotary Subwoofer
Gallo Nucleus Micro (4) Rear and (2) side speakers
Spica TC-50 (2) side speakers
Arcam AVR600 Receiver
Audio Research D400MKII Power Amp
Mark Levinson 380S Preamp
Eminent Technology Rotary Woofer Controller
PS Audio Perfectwave Dac and Transport
Oppo BD-83 SE Blueray Player
Goertz speaker wire and interconnects

7. Listening Room (29' long x 19' wide x 11' Cathedral Ceiling
Acoustics: ASC Tube Traps (36) Bass and Midrange Traps

8. Comments about Martin Logan speakers: Before I bought the Martin Logan Aeon and Summit speakers, the Magneplanar Tympani IV speakers were used full range. I was never satisfied with the imaging and low level detail and as such removed the midrange and tweeter panels and added the Martin Logan Summits along side the Magneplanar bass panels. The combination of the Martin Logan Summits (not using the woofers) and the Magneplanar Tympani bass panels provided bass that was powerful, seamless and depth was outstanding. Low level resolution and imaging was now awesome. With the addition of the Eminent Technology TRW-17 Rotary Subwoofer (bass that goes down to below 1 hz) gave the system fantastic, well controlled, unbelievable realism.

Attachments

• IMG_0752.jpg
    IMG_0752.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 602
  • IMG_0740.jpg
    IMG_0740.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 611
  • IMG_0621.jpg
    IMG_0621.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 591
  • IMG_0773.jpg
    IMG_0773.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 598
Last edited by a moderator:
Bob,

Having never heard your system, I can't rate it's performance... but for ambition alone I give you 10/10. Also very high scores for sincerity in room treatment as well as combining e-stats and magnetic planars... first system I believe I've ever seen with that combo. Enjoy the awesomeness!

BTW, I've owned both the TC50s and Maggie Tympanis (the 1Ds in my case).

What's your projector? Looks to be an older 3-lenser. Have you looked at the latest crop of 1080P single lens models out there? The Pannys and Epsons are stunning and ridiculously high value for the price.

Cheers,

-Todd

Last edited:
Projector type

Bob,

Having never heard your system, I can't rate it's performance... but for ambition alone I give you 10/10. Also very high scores for sincerity in room treatment as well as combining e-stats and magnetic planars... first system I believe I've ever seen with that combo. Enjoy the awesomeness!

BTW, I've owned both the TC50s and Maggie Tympanis (the 1Ds in my case).

What's your projector? Looks to be an older 3-lenser. Have you looked at the latest crop of 1080P single lens models out there? The Pannys and Epsons are stunning and ridiculously high value for the price.

Cheers,

-Todd

Thanks very much for your comments. Your Martin Logan CLX's I know are the most transparent speakers around. The Magneplanar Tympani bass panels provide mid bass that is very real sounding with great impact. If I ever upgrade it would be mating the CLX's with the Magneplanar bass panels, as this would provide greater resolution of the CLX's lower midrange, upper bass with the wonderful mid bass of the Magneplanar's.

The projector is a Barco 808 Graphics CRT and is going on 7 years with a wonderful picture. I bought it used with new tubes installed. When my Barco projector no longer provides a great picture, I will replace it. The new single lens 1080P models look very good, but require replacing lamps often to maintain brightness. When the prices come down on the LED projectors and the brightness level is increased I would be interested. Thanks, Bob (rasmaudio)

Bob, Great setup!

As another CRT guy waiting for lampless digitals, I can sympathize with your display choice. Black is actually, well, black on these ;)

What are you doing for crossovers between the various speaker elements?

Magneplanar xover

Bob, Great setup!

As another CRT guy waiting for lampless digitals, I can sympathize with your display choice. Black is actually, well, black on these ;)

What are you doing for crossovers between the various speaker elements?

I use the passive network from the Magneplanar Tympanis, which has a low pass xover : -3db at 250 hz at 18 db per octave. This works out quite well with the Martin Logan Summits which are good down to 270 hz. The woofers in the Summits are not used. The Magneplanar Tympani bass panels are driven by an Audio Research D400MKII power amp and controlled by a Mark Levinson 380S preamp. The volume control has a very fine adjustment of .1 db and together with the Arcam AVR600 receiver which drives the Martin Logan Summits, Logos and rear, side speakers, I have total control of volume and balance. The Magneplanar speakers, being dipole, provide a very deep, powerful and spacious presentation that the Summits bass section can not match.

Back