Spire vs Ethos + Primare

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Janusz

Reaction score
What is important difference in sound between the two? Does anybody really know? In tech data I see: low freq limit, D vs B class amp for woofer and overall size. Those are not about sound. Is the price difference justified?

I had a listening session of Spire at local dealer shop and enjoyed it.

Second question would be about your experiences with Primare stuff. My system: CD 31, Pre 30 and A32 power amp. Will this work together?

Thanks for any advice

Janusz

Hi Janusz,

Welcome to the ML Club.

Questions.

Is the woofer the same size?

Is the amp powering the woofer the same wattage output?

Most importantly, is the panel size the same?

GG

Gordon,

You're right, all three answers are: no.

I intended to in ask questions about more hidden features. Perhaps Ethos is good enough for me. I wonder if Spire powered by my Primare would provide audible betterment over Spire?

Janusz

Janusz,

I'd make the decision based on room size and types of music you enjoy. The Spire panel is 2" wider which, all other things being equal, will project a larger image, soundstage, etc. It also has the 35hz adjustment, which will allow you to fine tune the bass / panel integration in your room. With larger scale music played in a larger room at aggressive volumes, I see some benefits to the Spire vs the Ethos.

If, on the other hand, you listen to smaller scale music at lower volumes in a smaller room, the Ethos would likely work just fine.

Given the similarities of both speakers (powered woofers) and your electronics, I can't image a major performance difference regardless of the model chosen.

Hope I'm describing some parameters that will allow you (absent of the price difference) to make a more informed decision that specifically meets your needs.

Good luck.

GG

Back