Inching closer to a Summit X

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hola. www.partsconnexion.com has a lot of good capacitor manufactures on its site. You might find there your needs. Happy listening!.

Thanks, this and madisound is where I am getting them from. Decided not to get the uber-performing and uber-expensive Duelund's and go with Mundorf Supremes instead.

Last edited:
Thanks for pointing that out - I've been thinking about this already, but I don't know why I would need them??? Can you explain? It's not that I am trying to clean up A/C line noise or something. What's the benefit of these caps in this type of application? BTW, did you mean to say MKP1837 10nF?

EDIT: I am having trouble breaking down a 47uF and a 51uF capacitor - how would you do it?I can do two 22uF +-3% Mundorfs in place of the 47 (because the value is within the tolerance range +- 10%), and something similar for the 51 - would that be acceptable?

I found the 1839 easier to install, they are axial version of 1837. Use them to bypass all the polypropylene foil capacitors, 10nF.
I also found that using 630V 10nF Wima MKS-4 brought another level of clarity, I have put them parallel to MKP1839. Even better 1000V ones.

I have noted that the values in schematic did not correspond 1:1 to what was really in the crossover, e.g. 5uF in the schematic being 4.7uF in the actual crossover.
For 47 you're closer with 2x22 + 3.3.
Try to match as closely as possible what's in the actual crossover, thus you will avoid unpleasant surprises.

Good luck and have fun!

I found the 1839 easier to install, they are axial version of 1837.

OK will look for it

I have noted that the values in schematic did not correspond 1:1 to what was really in the crossover, e.g. 5uF in the schematic being 4.7uF in the actual crossover.

This is not the case with the Odyssey.

For 47 you're closer with 2x22 + 3.3.

The reason I left the 3.3 out is because it's not far away from 22; I've been told the rule of thumb is they are all either very close in value, or very very far apart, to the tune of 50X!

Try to match as closely as possible what's in the actual crossover, thus you will avoid unpleasant surprises.

That I agree with... Thanks again.

The reason I left the 3.3 out is because it's not far away from 22; I've been told the rule of thumb is they are all either very close in value, or very very far apart, to the tune of 50X!

Sorry to stick my nose in here... but your comment elevated my eyebrows a bit. While there are rules of thumb for the effectiveness of broad-spectrum noise filtering when using multiple caps in a noise suppression configuration, that doesn't hold true for caps used as a critical element in a typical LCR crossover. Variation in the value of C away from what the original design calls for will directly impact the intended cross over point. That said, there's nothing to stop anyone from playing around with values to see how the cross-over change impacts integration between drivers (but generally speaking, designers pick component values carefully based on how speakers are engineered).

I haven't looked at the history of your discussion above, so my apologies if my comment is out of place.

Spectral -- please keep us in the loop on how this turns out.... I am not an EE but modifying odysseys definitely interests me.... since I also own a pair... :) You will have to give a 'post' change review... and use words like 'bloom'...'decay'....'pace' etc.... hahaha.... But, seriously am very interested in this wacky adventure you are on....

Sorry to stick my nose in here... but your comment elevated my eyebrows a bit. While there are rules of thumb for the effectiveness of broad-spectrum noise filtering when using multiple caps in a noise suppression configuration, that doesn't hold true for caps used as a critical element in a typical LCR crossover.

I don't think I agree with you here... the problem is unpredictable impedance interactions, which can be deleterious. If it were as simple as just stacking up caps I would have done it already. I am not theorizing here, I know this from first-hand experience - years ago I did stack them up willy nilly in front of a tweeter; and the result? dead-sounding tweeter. You don't just add up capacitor values like that to get what you want; it requires a lot of thinking.

Variation in the value of C away from what the original design calls for will directly impact the intended cross over point.

It depends; notice, I am within the 10% tolerance of the stock capacitor currently in place. And the tolerance of what I putting in is 3% tops.

Spectral -- please keep us in the loop on how this turns out.... I am not an EE but modifying odysseys definitely interests me.... since I also own a pair... :) You will have to give a 'post' change review... and use words like 'bloom'...'decay'....'pace' etc.... hahaha.... But, seriously am very interested in this wacky adventure you are on....

Yeap, once done I will start a new thread on this. The O's have a very clear achille's heel, and it's the caps in the crossover - for starters, electrolytics for the woofers; ouch. The resistors appear to be first rate, but I did also plug in some Mundorf M-Resist Supremes in the panel crossover, and there is no audible effect whatsoever. Finally, I know nothing yet about the inductors, but they appear OK. I am proceeding with one capacitor at a time with brief listening tests - I expect any cap to break in over 300 hrs, so I am looking for really offensive, obviously detrimental changes

This is getting off topic, so I am going to start a new thread on the Odyssey mod... Besides ,there appears to be a lot of interest from other owners who are looking for the diagram... And I also have some initial pictures to share...

Peter,

Since you'll be inside the woofer module, see my thread in the "Tweaks" section on what I did with my SL3's. Specifically applying "Road Kill" or equivalent to the inside of the cabinet and driver ribs. Attenuates cabinet / driver vibrations. Quite audible, quite positive, and quite cheap.

Good luck with your modified "O's".

Gordon

Peter,

Since you'll be inside the woofer module, see my thread in the "Tweaks" section on what I did with my SL3's. Specifically applying "Road Kill" or equivalent to the inside of the cabinet and driver ribs. Attenuates cabinet / driver vibrations. Quite audible, quite positive, and quite cheap.

Good luck with your modified "O's".

Gordon

Perfect! I was looking for something like this as well; thank you so much

I don't think I agree with you here... the problem is unpredictable impedance interactions, which can be deleterious. If it were as simple as just stacking up caps I would have done it already. I am not theorizing here, I know this from first-hand experience - years ago I did stack them up willy nilly in front of a tweeter; and the result? dead-sounding tweeter. You don't just add up capacitor values like that to get what you want; it requires a lot of thinking.

It depends; notice, I am within the 10% tolerance of the stock capacitor currently in place. And the tolerance of what I putting in is 3% tops.

I'm not going to argue basic electronics with you. If a design calls for 47uF and you install 44uF, then you are likely to be out of range wrt the intent of the original design. The problem with "stacking caps" is that you can introduce unintended inductance (i.e. wiring multiple caps into a tight area without considering lead length). However, if implemented carefully, it should be fine.

At any rate, good luck with your mods.

Todd, I tend to agree with your thinking (but not sure inductance would be an issue). Also, if the designers used 10% tolerance caps that were in fact 9% under (42uF in your example), and Spectral replaced them with caps that were 2% over (48 uF in your example), the end result would be a value 14% higher than the original, and this would really impact the crossover point.

Last edited:
I'm not going to argue basic electronics with you. If a design calls for 47uF and you install 44uF, then you are likely to be out of range wrt the intent of the original design. The problem with "stacking caps" is that you can introduce unintended inductance (i.e. wiring multiple caps into a tight area without considering lead length). However, if implemented carefully, it should be fine.

At any rate, good luck with your mods.

Thank you - "likely"... it's possible they were looking for a 45uF and eventually selected a common 47uF... We'll never know...

@tsv_1: I have ordered 2x 22uF's plus 3 1uF's to reach the exact 47uF, but will do so one by one. The reason I did this because the tolerance on the existing cap is 5%, not 10%...

@tsv_1: I have ordered 2x 22uF's plus 3 1uF's to reach the exact 47uF, but will do so one by one. The reason I did this because the tolerance on the existing cap is 5%, not 10%...

Cool. BTW, I think it's great that you're digging into this and making these mods. No better way to learn what works and what doesn't. I've built MOSFET audio amps, low noise Mic pre-amps and other gear in the past. Learned a ton... especially how easy it is to touch 120v rails. :)

Last edited:
I almost lost my index finger and my thumb when I was working at TV Channel 7. There was an AGC mechanical and because of a debris, was not following the the right track, and I put my right hand with the transmitter on, the station was out of the air for over 20 minutes, and I was sent direct to the hospital for a month treatment with a severe burn. You should see my hair then...

Back