New Summit XJR ?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waynefulp

Reaction score
I currently have Vantages and am looking to move up the ML ladder. I found a CES report and picture of a new Summit XJR speaker that will be in the 10k range. Does anyone know anymore about this speaker? Thanks!

Or a CLX-Ultra (that can go down to 20Hz)
Haha, wouldn't that be cool. Never gonna happen..
On a more realistic level CLX-IIa, active version with DSP LF room correction down to 30Hz with only double original panel size. Well that would be something.

Haha, wouldn't that be cool. Never gonna happen..
On a more realistic level CLX-IIa, active version with DSP LF room correction down to 30Hz with only double original panel size. Well that would be something.

Awesome idea!... although double the panel size would be stupendously large.

Awesome idea!... although double the panel size would be stupendously large.

Hmm doesn't current CLX go down to ~60Hz -3dB? in order to get that one extra octave it would be necessary to double the panel size. To go down to 20Hz with all other requirements staying the same, well there's no real market for a beast that size and considering ML's trend of minimizing the panel magic, I don't see that happening.

New Speakers shown at CES:

http://www.hometheater.com/content/martin-logan-gets-affordable

The Martin Logan C2 ($799/each) and FX2 ($649/each) are eyebrow raisingly affordable entries from this longtime champion of the electrostatic speaker. What raised our other eyebrow is that we liked the model playing better than the most costly ones we've heard in the past. Go figure.

010711martinlogan.jpg

This is strange, if Martin Logan can afford to make ESL speakers so much cheaper, why haven't they done so in the past? Or if they just chose not to and had huge profit margins in the past, then how are they going to sell these super inexpensive ESLs alongside the ones that cost an order of magnitude more?

This is strange, if Martin Logan can afford to make ESL speakers so much cheaper, why haven't they done so in the past? Or if they just chose not to and had huge profit margins in the past, then how are they going to sell these super inexpensive ESLs alongside the ones that cost an order of magnitude more?

Who said they were electrostatic?

I suspect these lower-priced ESL panels (? the woofer cabinets too) are manufactured in Asia. Time will tell if their specs and reliability are as good as the original Lawrence, KS built speakers.

I currently have Vantages and am looking to move up the ML ladder. I found a CES report and picture of a new Summit XJR speaker that will be in the 10k range. Does anyone know anymore about this speaker? Thanks!

The Summit-XJR (temporary name) will be released later this year. It is intended as a replacement of the Spire and has a single 10 inch woofer. The XJr is the speaker that is on the far left in Jonathan's picture.

Regards,
Gary

Hey Justin (from ML), how about sharing the love with the fan-club for your brand. Please send us PR and post news like this here so we don't have to go scouring the web for glimpses. Thx.

Hey Justin (from ML), how about sharing the love with the fan-club for your brand. Please send us PR and post news like this here so we don't have to go scouring the web for glimpses. Thx.

No problem! I'm literally sitting here in the Las Vegas airport waiting for my plane to Kansas.

I've already posted this (or I believe Tom did) but all the latest press releases are posted here:

http://www.martinlogan.com/news/index.php

Here are some shots I took of the LX26 speakers, ElectrtoMotion ESL in a gloss black finish, and the back shots of the LX16, ElectroMotion ESL, Theos, and Summit XJR prototype (code name to be changed).

Let me know if you have any questions. Here's hoping that snow we are getting in KC won't delay me from getting the heck out of this city!

Attachments

• display-3.jpg
    display-3.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 1,252
  • display-4.jpg
    display-4.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 1,991
  • display-5.jpg
    display-5.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 1,185
So Justin, is the JR an actual replacement for the Spire? I'd hate to think the Spire is obsolete after just a couple years? Will the Spire be upgradeable to the JR standard or is someone taking lessons from Wilson??

Gordon

So Justin, is the JR an actual replacement for the Spire? I'd hate to think the Spire is obsolete after just a couple years? Will the Spire be upgradeable to the JR standard or is someone taking lessons from Wilson??

Gordon

This will not replace the Spire, it will be a completely new model that will incorporate our DSP engine (in light of the success of the Ethos), have a similar low frequency driver configuration to the Spire but with a bump in power, and be styled much more closely to the Summit X (which is why we gave it the code name Summit XJR). It's sort of a mash-up of a few different models now that I think about it, maybe we'll call it the Frankenstein :)

~Justin

Justin, that should make for a pretty cool unit. The DSP should allow a lot more flexibility in tuning to the room, and the added system integration options it opens up are great.

I'd say a pair of these plus subs would be a great setup. Better than a Summit X set alone.

Any thoughts on enabling the on-board DSP/Crossover to also output a sub channel (would be L/R respectively) to make 2ch system integration easier?

That would help drive more Sub sales ;)

Or even offer them as a slightly discounted set.

Back