Lifetime Service for MartinLogan Products

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the first chance I had to really sit down and read everyone's comments, and I thank you for such kind and supportive words, both personally and for MartinLogan.

~Justin

Justin, I can't believe you had the gall to come here and tell us that ML had made a mistake, and that you were continuing to support legacy products! How dare you even have the nerve to post here ever again!

This is exactly the kind of customer service that a company the caliber of Martin Logan is expected to provide, and now after revoking that you let us down by telling us that it was all a mistake. That somehow customers are important to you? WTF? You guys have some nerve!

On a serious note. I'm glad that Rich's (and the concerns of others such as him) stuck a serious chord with your company and the decision making process involved in servicing existing customers while growing to support new customers. As someone new to owning ML speakers I do not have the same investment as Rich does, and it is easier for me to stomach replacing my gear than it is for him. I have far less invested than he does.

Even if I feel that the presumptions of how and why decisions were made were a disservice to ML. I'm glad their concerns and even demands for service were heard. It shows a company that not only is willing to listen to those whose money they already have, but they are willing to admit when they feel they made an error in judgment.

I'd rather deal with a company that can admit to a mistake without excusing it, and rectify the situation, than one that claims to never make a mistake any day.

In late November I started with purchasing 2 Source speakers. And now it's 2 Source speakers, and a Grotto i, and I've ordered a Matinee to go with it and... I think much more and my wife might at least threaten to divorce me. :rolleyes:

And now I do feel a lot better about not needing to plan for the rapid obsolescence of my gear.

While I am in favor of this decision by Shoreview and/or ML, my feeling is that the loyalty of the consumers to the brand should equal the opposite.

Meaning if ML is loyal enough to offer lifetime service to legacy products, maybe rather than buying old used speakers and fixing them up, we should buy a brand new set of ML speakers instead. :)

And no complaining if the cost of parts and service for legacy products is a bit spendy. It comes with the territory. You can get a 1963 Ferrari 250 GT completely refurbished at the factory. If you have to ask how much it will cost, well then your heart is in the wrong place. :)

I am not saying that everyone should junk their old stuff and get new....but it is always an option...and what better way to show your support for such a great company than by spending more of your money with them?

My main message though is to applaud ML for being an exception to the rule in the industry. Especially in the current circumstance of the economy. Thank you ML. :)

I think the idea is to support your customers, encourage them to upgrade, but support their hardware at a profit either way while gaining new customers and expanding your sales model. If I could turn around in Dec and trade in my Sources for 70% of purchase price to upgrade, I'd be pretty darn happy. Of course, between now and then I'd new amps to push them and... :music:

The challenge for ML will be to offer new panels, etc. at a price point that most users determine as reasonable.

I hope / trust they will give serious consideration to this issue as time goes on.

GG

Great News.

I wonder what that actually means, when some of the parts they say they can't source anymore. eg the 10kV cap for the CLS2 series to name just one?

Hopefully at least CLS panels may be still available even if the cost becomes prohibitive.

can't source anymore. eg the 10kV cap for the CLS2 series to name just one?

One of the reasons we as consumers expect a company to provide support (as opposed to third parties) is because they designed the things! They know the product. They know how it was designed. They know why certain decisions pertaining to the design were made. They know how it works.

In addition to this, they have access to all the schematics, design documents, blueprints, etc.

It is for this reason that - if a part becomes unavailable - they are in the best position to make the decision on / recommend a suitable replacement. Even if it is not quite identical.

Last edited:
Hello,
Wow. I go away to Tahiti for a week only to come back to this most wonderful news. This was an excellent decision and means the world in terms of Resale Value. Great job Justin!
Cheers,
JJ

Cheers to ML for the decision and to those dissenting customers who have the guts to speak up and hold their own, even if it doesn't seem to make an obvious difference (though it really does...). This decision is the reason I started looking at ML again for my next set of speakers... hopefully it will materialize.

Let me add my voice to those congratulating ML on this excellent decision. I can now return to fantasizing about owning a pair of CLXs, a dream I gave up on when I heard that the company would not longer offer lifetime support.

I liked this announcement so much that I signed onto the board just to say so.

I don't own one of your speakers, but you're back on the shopping list. Congratulations on doing the right thing!
:rocker::rocker::rocker:

Man I can say that I was going to pull the plug incase my martin logans got the boot later on

With this in mind I have to say that I have started planning on adding more martin logans to my collection and feel good in recomending these awesome speakers to all my friends and family

Way to go martin logan and ignore this guy LITE who posts before because he is a stupid idiot and is talking a whole bunch of troll crap with his 15 posts

I may just buy a theater or logos center channel with this in mind

Justin you are a great asset to the martin logan team,keep up the stellar effort your putting forth on behalf of all the loyal logan lovers

Last edited:
Way to go martin logan and ignore this guy LITE who posts before because he is a stupid idiot and is talking a whole bunch of troll crap with his 15 posts

Please try to remain civil in your references to other members of the forum. This kind of trash talk is completely unacceptable. If you don't like what he says, address the substance of it. If you think he is a troll, report him to the mods. But don't attack him personally and publicly like this. Our forum has seen way too much of this kind of discourse in the past.

By the way, if you re-read Lite's post above (#62) chastising Justin, you may actually realize that the first two paragraphs of that post were not meant to be taken seriously. They were written with tongue-in-cheek sarcasm. And if you go back and reread all of Lite's posts on this forum, you will come to the conclusion that they are certainly not the work of a troll.

Again, name calling and personal attacks have no place on this forum.

Please try to remain civil in your references to other members of the forum. This kind of trash talk is completely unacceptable. If you don't like what he says, address the substance of it. If you think he is a troll, report him to the mods. But don't attack him personally and publicly like this. Our forum has seen way too much of this kind of discourse in the past.

By the way, if you re-read Lite's post above (#62) chastising Justin, you may actually realize that the first two paragraphs of that post were not meant to be taken seriously. They were written with tongue-in-cheek sarcasm. And if you go back and reread all of Lite's posts on this forum, you will come to the conclusion that they are certainly not the work of a troll.

Right On Rich,

Civility is one reason I like this forum so much.

Sometimes emotions kick in before common sense.

Dennis

:music:

Certainly good news to hear about the lifetime service. I made a 'fast' decision to order new panels for my original CLS' when they said they were going to discontinue making them. Even though they reversed course I decided to continue getting my new panels which should arrive by mid-week. I still think the CLS are the most beautiful speaker I have ever seen as well as the most detailed.

I'm a bit late to the party here, but all I can say is WOW!!! This is awesome news! My reQuest's are 11 years old, and I know that at some point soon I will need to replace the panels. I will also need to replace the panels on my Aerius i's around the same time. Before this news, I was bummed that I would no longer be able to get new panels. Now the worry is gone!

Thanks to everyone at Martin Logan who made this possible.

Martin Logan ROCKS!!!!

Seth

Yeah, apparently the sarcasm wasn't quite thick enough for that one... I just didn't want to gum up anyone's machine when they hit that post and it came oozing off the screen.

...But, I appreciate the backup. Even if I fear no man who fails to use punctuation while calling me a troll. :rolleyes:

And you are correct, while I may be occasionally deliberately contrary for the sake of seeing both (or more) sides of an argument discussed, I'm not a troll. I'm just a guy who can finally afford his first set of ML's, and even with just the Sources I smile every day when I sit down and let them sing when I come home from work.

All I can say right now is that it really sucks to have been bitten by the audiophile bug while I'm in the middle of buying a house.

But, I know now that (theoretically) ML will be happy to service my speakers for a good long while. I appreciate you sticking to your guns Rich and letting ML know the mistake they were making.

Kudos to Martin Logan management for publicly admitting its mistake and correcting it. Count me among those who began to look at the company in a different light after they made the previous decision. I said earlier that the earlier decision would have been out of character for the previous management. I hope that this signals a realization among current management that the ML-customer culture cultivated over the past decades is a valuable intangible asset that is worth the time and effort to preserve. As I always say to my fellow audiophiles and music lovers, remember, it's about the music...:music:

Latest posts

Back