Lifetime Service for MartinLogan Products

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry about late reply.
No room corrections or DSP for my home system. (I dont like it)
Summit has good sub bass tuning. I have used it. (-2, -6dB)
The sound is little dead in high notes, not 10dB or something like that. I have tried some different amplifiers, and it helps.
Also I like the twist of sound what the spikes makes.. Slowly it gets better and better (or I start to like it)
I try to make proper RTA whit miniDSP mic.

I have no inside knowledge as to how difficult or expensive it is for ML to continue to be tooled up to make panels for older speakers. But I too am happy with their decision to continue doing so--particularly since they have no full range ESL in current production, which are my preference. It would be nice to see them revive the CLS line. The CLX was apparently expensive to make, and too expensive for me to afford.

I do appreciate the importance of economic considerations to a company's survival. I do not want to see ML go the way of Audio Research.

Sorry about late reply.
No room corrections or DSP for my home system. (I dont like it)
Summit has good sub bass tuning. I have used it. (-2, -6dB)
The sound is little dead in high notes, not 10dB or something like that. I have tried some different amplifiers, and it helps.
Also I like the twist of sound what the spikes makes.. Slowly it gets better and better (or I start to like it)
I try to make proper RTA whit miniDSP mic.
Here is my overal SPL response.. Like I feel missing high notes. 1/6 smoothing. mic was (about) in listening spot.
avg summit_kuuntelu.jpg

If the panels are bad it is obvious - there will be very little high frequency audio volume. The speaker will sound boomy and muffled.

If you want to be more scientific, you can use REW software to measure the frequency response. The Summit has a crossover at 270Hz. If the panels are bad and need replacing you will see the frequency response drop by over 10dB above 270Hz.
here is RTA

Attachments

• avg summit_kuuntelu.jpg
    avg summit_kuuntelu.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 0
Here is my overal SPL response.. Like I feel missing high notes. 1/6 smoothing. mic was (about) in listening spot.
Yes, that's a pretty nasty high-end sag. And that notch at 68Hz is pretty severe. A room mode, no doubt, so placement likely will affect it.

A room corrector can likely fix both issues.

Here is my overal SPL response.. Like I feel missing high notes. 1/6 smoothing. mic was (about) in listening spot.View attachment 24666

Above about 600Hz your SPL is about 10dB down (65dB vs 75dB) so the panels are likely degraded. Room correction can fix it by boosting the level by 10dB then reducing frequencies below around 500Hz. It will be a lot more demanding on your amp.

No DSP for me.. low notes (room cancelations) I can fix by modifications, it is next challenge..
Bigger problem is -10dB high notes..
I contacted the ML distributor/service.

No DSP for me.. low notes (room cancelations) I can fix by modifications, it is next challenge..
Bigger problem is -10dB high notes..
I contacted the ML distributor/service.
I may, but have not yet, set up Dirac on my new Emotiva XMC-2 but I agree that I wouldn't use DSP to fix ailing panels. That plus a nasty room suck-out is a sure way to blow up an amp. Just bite the bullet and buy them. On the other hand, I'm in a decent position to be able to afford new panels. When you do decide to bite the bullet, you're still a few months away from fixing the problem though, generously, ML does not bill you until they are ready.

I may, but have not yet, set up Dirac on my new Emotiva XMC-2 but I agree that I wouldn't use DSP to fix ailing panels. That plus a nasty room suck-out is a sure way to blow up an amp. Just bite the bullet and buy them. On the other hand, I'm in a decent position to be able to afford new panels. When you do decide to bite the bullet, you're still a few months away from fixing the problem though, generously, ML does not bill you until they are ready.
Yeah, it took about 3 months or so for my panels and you don't pay until they are shipped. Mine were down about 10 dB as well. Audyssey made them sound ok, but then they lacked bass. I was probably taxing the hell out of my Aragon amp.

Back