Lifetime Service for MartinLogan Products

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Obviously this price increase is just their underhanded way of accomplishing the same thing with a little less fanfare.

Yep - "Constructive Obsolescence" we'll call it.........

Well F. that - not when I'm paying what ML ask for a pair of friggin' speakers!

Hey Scotty,
Have you guys thought about a program where a customer could ship the old panels to ML and have them refurbished with new mylar?? As someone else mentioned, the stators don't wear out, it's the coating on the mylar that needs to be replaced.. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this idea.

Hey Scotty,
Have you guys thought about a program where a customer could ship the old panels to ML and have them refurbished with new mylar?? As someone else mentioned, the stators don't wear out, it's the coating on the mylar that needs to be replaced.. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on this idea.

This idea certainly has merit. Although I doubt the cost feasibility of such a programme. The labour cost to dismantle, refurbish and then effectively reconstruct the panel, (+ the return shipping cost) would likely be greater than the cost of simply building and shipping new panels.

Let's face it - how much does a bit of punched metal and a 10cm termination wire really cost? - which is all you are effectively saving by such a programme.

What may work better though is an exchange programme. If MOQ really is an issue, and these bits of punched metal really are driving the company into debt :ROFL: then what about implementing a discount for new panels when the old ones are returned. ML could dismantle and recycle these super-expensive, rare-earth, company-destroying, hard-to-source, MOQ-dominating parts!

Last edited:
This I can Tell you ! Disassembling a panel is "EASY " as hell when you know how they are assembled and work. 3M Makes every type of adhesive as WELL AS EVERY TYPE OF RELEASE agent. It took me less than 3 Hrs to have a set cleaned and ready . That is even testing the metal panels for conductivity with a Multi meter and voltage applied at the wiring to make sure the powder coating was intact ! Say for sake of talk ! My time is worth $75 an hr so that leaves $2525 for MYLAR and new spars and assembly labor ! ... OK Paralogan ..... I now ask whom is "ROGERING WHO?
Green is in and what a better way to be Green than recycle old to new again !

Your loving loyal customer !

Sorry Chris but I think it is all for naught. Corporate mentality has taken over and we all know what that means.

Gordon

When I called to get the prices for the CLX and Monolith II panels, they told me the panels are still made in Kansas. They are not only gouging you on the panels but wanted $150 for shipping for Monolith panels from Kansas to just Illinois. I believe that they think everyone is ignorant or just do not care. I believe it is a little bit of both.I hope this info helps.

When I called to get the prices for the CLX and Monolith II panels, they told me the panels are still made in Kansas.

Either this is an outright lie, or Justin lied two years ago when he clearly stated that replacement panels would be made in Canada. Since there is no production of CLX in America, I cannot imagine they make replacement panels for it in Kansas. They wouldn't have the necessary tooling (molds or whatever you call them) to do so. It is getting such that you can't trust anything that comes out of this company's mouth.

Here's my message to those 'BENT' thieves at Martin Logan..........

UP YOURS!!

Last edited:
Either this is an outright lie, or Justin lied two years ago when he clearly stated that replacement panels would be made in Canada. Since there is no production of CLX in America, I cannot imagine they make replacement panels for it in Kansas. They wouldn't have the necessary tooling (molds or whatever you call them) to do so. It is getting such that you can't trust anything that comes out of this company's mouth.

I just *love* being called a liar on the internet, so just for fun, I looked up the previous thread where I say (or rather quote Rob Zimmerman, our Operations Manager) on March 4th, 2010:

"Service panels will continue to be hand-built here in Lawrence, KS. That might change at some point in the next few years, but for now we will continue to build those in the US."

Rich, please check your facts before you post something "I" said.

Speaking of which, this thread is so filled with so many uneducated "facts" that people keep posting it's hard to read. Therefore I've asked many members of the ML team to read and address them, and will provide you with accurate, factual information. Should have something for you next week to give everyone a chance to weigh in over here.

Stay tuned,
~Justin

Why would I lie?? Sometimes you should know your facts Rich before opening your mouth. This is why many times you come across an the forum bully. I have no hidden agenda, only stating what I was told because everyone wanted to know the replacement cost on the CLX panels in another discussion.When quoted the prices, I asked if the panels would be coming from Canada and the person I talked to said no that they were still made and come from Kansas. The guy I talked to through service had to go check to see if the panels still had 5-year warranties. After Justins post,I guess I am not an outright liar.

Last edited:
Rich, please check your facts before you post something "I" said.

Justin, I sincerely try to to check my facts, but it is difficult when you speak out both sides of your mouth. I was referencing the following conversation with Chris where you clearly stated replacement panels would be made in Canada:

Thanks for the heads up and some insight.
Will we be able to still get the older (CLS ) panels? and will they be made in Canada and is there going to be a price change ?

Yes we will continue to provide replacement panels for some older models (just like we do now), but as time moves forward we simply can't support EVERY model, especially the older ones. This isn't a decision based on moving production, and would be exactly the same if we weren't. To answer the second part, yes they will be made in Canada, and there will be no price change*.

As to your specific model, the CLS, I can find out tomorrow and let you know the specifics.

* Note: Prices DO change over time as material costs increase, but no specific increase as a result of this move.

~Justin

Sorry, but even I can miss a small post in a 13 page thread that completely contradicts a prior post. For the record, you also said prices wouldn't change as a result of this move, only as a result of increases in materials costs. Are you now saying that materials costs for sheet metal and mylar have doubled in the past two years? Also, for the record, you said this in the same post that you reference:

I will let everyone know ahead of time with any decisions about this policy, and I'll be sure to let YOU know as soon as I know.

~Justin

And yet you blindsided us with a doubling (or more) in price of replacement panels. No forewarning whatsoever that you would be raising prices due to materials cost increases. Surely you recognized the anger this price hike would generate after the prior fallout from discontinuation of legacy support, yet you intentionally gave no forewarning. So surely you can understand why it is a little hard to believe you at this point.

Last edited:
Why would I lie?? I am only stating what I was told because everyone wanted to know the replacement cost on the CLX panels in another discussion.When quoted the prices I asked if the panels would be coming from Canada and the person I talked to said no that they were still made and come from Kansas. The guy I talked to through service did not even know the warranty on panels. He had to go check to see if they still had 5-year warranties. Definitely does not make me feel to comfortable with their products when their employees do not even the policies.

Pay attention, Horchem. I was saying that either ML is lying now or they were lying then. Apparently, they were just engaging in doublespeak back then, saying one thing at one time, and then another at another time.

I just *love* being called a liar on the internet,

Today I’m pleased to announce, after much discussion, the following:

1) MartinLogan stands behind every speaker made and will offer lifetime service and support for every model.

Warmest Regards,

Justin Bright
Marketing Director

I'd like to get replacement panels for my Logos. Or would that be calling you a liar on the internet?

I realize that I'm being inflammatory here - but Justin you have said many things that made Martin Logan look very VERY good in the eyes of your long-time customers only to have these things quietly removed.

This quiet removal of promises happens often enough to have become the expected norm from Martin Logan.

Last edited:
Pay attention, Horchem. I was saying that either ML is lying now or they were lying then. Apparently, they were just engaging in doublespeak back then, saying one thing at one time, and then another at another time.

You may not of meant it to be offensive but it did not come accross that way. You should of stated that what ML said was an outright lie. It kills me how you can never be wrong on this forum. It is always someone elses fault or they do not pay attention to your great words of wisdom. This is why many times you come across as the forum bully.

I'd like to get replacement panels for my Logos. Or would that be calling you a liar on the internet?

I realize that I'm being inflammatory here - but Justin you have said many things that made Martin Logan look very VERY good in the eyes of your long-time customers only to have these things quietly removed.

This quiet removal of promises happens often enough to have become the expected norm from Martin Logan.

A very valid point Mr Zaphod.

We can still service the electronics to some extent, but not the panels for the Logos. Beyond the very unique build for this model, getting the metal and building these would be exponentially more expensive than the cost of a newer model -- so for this particular model, ML will offer a discount program to upgrade to a current model center channel. You can contact our sales team at 785-749-0133 for more details if you have a Logos.

Hope this helps.

~Justin

As far as I know this is the ONLY model we can not service or replace the panel. I've been more than transparent about that, and our sales and service team as even offered an EXTENSIVE discount, much cheaper than the cost would be to service, to get a replacement model.

~Justin

You may not of meant it to be offensive but it did not come accross that way. You should of stated that what ML said was an outright lie. It kills me how you can never be wrong on this forum. It is always someone elses fault or they do not pay attention to your great words of wisdom. This is why many times you come across as the forum bully.

Fair enough. I apologize for not making myself clear enough. I sincerely believed that my conclusory statement that "It is getting such that you can't trust anything that comes out of this company's mouth" was a clear indication that I was questioning ML's veracity and not yours.

Sorry, but even I can miss a small post in a 13 page thread that completely contradicts a prior post.

Contradicts...I think you mean, corrected. So you should post the corrected information from now on Rich. Even I make mistakes *gasp* so try to put together what I know you know is not meant to be deviant on my part, please.

For the record, you also said prices wouldn't change as a result of this move, only as a result of increases in materials costs. Are you now saying that materials costs for sheet metal and mylar have doubled in the past two years? Also, for the record, you said this in the same post that you reference:

Right, as a result of the manufacturing move, prices did not change. Take a look at the last sentence: "Prices DO change over time as material costs increase, but no specific increase as a result of this move."

Material costs -- I can not speak to those intelligently because I don't know that information, I can only say, again, that I've asked the people that work with "sheet metal and mylar" to look at what's been posted and put together their thoughts in a clear and factual way. But from what I do know, material costs from suppliers has risen consistently for the past 15 years with no pricing increase from MartinLogan. 15 YEARS!

~Justin

Fair enough. I apologize for not making myself clear enough. I sincerely believed that my conclusory statement that "It is getting such that you can't trust anything that comes out of this company's mouth" was a clear indication that I was questioning ML's veracity and not yours.

Thank you for saying it and it is appreciated. Sometimes things are said that can be taken the wrong way very easily. I am sure I have come across that way at times also. If I have offended anyone on this sight I am also sorry.

Latest posts

Back