New DAC what should I get??

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

repman

Reaction score
I am hoping to get a little advice on what DAC you recommend up to $3000.

It must be able to accept USB.

I will be running this thru a tube pre and amp so I most likely want a very neutral sound nothing to warm.

Thanks and I appreciate the help.

I just ordered a W4S DAC2 (w/ 24-bit 192kHz Asynchronous USB input). Will certainly post my impressions once it's up and converting.

http://www.wyred4sound.com/webapps/site/74030/117839/shopping/shopping-view.html?pid=457975

I did a lot of comparison shopping before pulling the (schmitt*) trigger on this one, based on reviews as well as features, the DAC2 seems to have the biggest bang for the bit (ahem). Granted, my budget was $2K, so no doubt there are a number of other excellent products out there within your budget.

Look forward to hearing all the various other recommendations and preferences out there as well.

Cheers

* a little input buffer humor for all you digit-heads out there

Last edited:
I just ordered a W4S DAC2 (w/ 24-bit 192kHz Asynchronous USB input). Will certainly post my impressions once it's up and converting.

Yes, I'd like to hear your impressions of the this DAC. I've been looking at the DAC1 with some interest...

I'm using an Ayre QB-9 DAC, feeding a tube amp and am very satisfied.

I was going to mention the Ayre Steve. I'd forgotten that you had one. I've heard it on a half dozen occasions over the last year or so and have been quite impressed. It's all the rage in the press as well.

Anyone compare the ayre dac to their players. The c7xe mp?

I recommend the PerfectWave DAC from PS Audio and add the PerfectWave Bridge card to make a kick Azz music server also! You can get both on the street for 3K.

PerfectWave%20DAC%20Full.jpg

Last edited:
I'm thinking of upgrading shortly too.

For me, it's a tossup between the Naim DAC and the PerfectWave. I have heard the PerfectWave and it is lovely! I am trying hear the Naim any time I can before I make my decision.

I'd be inerested in the QB9 as well - sounds like a fantastic product, but why-oh-why hobble a great DAC with a USB input only? How narrow-minded to think that computer audio simply involves crudely balancing a laptop on the top of your equipment rack and plugging a USB cable in?

IMHO, you might also consider the Benchmark DAC1. It offers a very neutral (uncolored) presentation (which some folks find a little "lean"), but I think it's still a great DAC, especially at it's price point. Unlike others, it's also a great headphone amp, includes balanced outputs, and also comes in a USB flavor, along with standard S/PDIF.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums

Thanks for the input I am going to go hear the PS audio for sure and also I agree on the ayre unit why only USB , I also will audition the Naim and Benchmark units

Merry Christmas to you all !!

I'm thinking of upgrading shortly too.

For me, it's a tossup between the Naim DAC and the PerfectWave. I have heard the PerfectWave and it is lovely! I am trying hear the Naim any time I can before I make my decision.

I'd be inerested in the QB9 as well - sounds like a fantastic product, but why-oh-why hobble a great DAC with a USB input only? How narrow-minded to think that computer audio simply involves crudely balancing a laptop on the top of your equipment rack and plugging a USB cable in?

Ayre happens to think that USB is the best way to connect. Even so, I think they would sell more QB-9s if they offered other connection types. I use a Mac Mini with Amarra software and the results are, IMHO, outstanding.

I was going to mention the Ayre Steve. I'd forgotten that you had one. I've heard it on a half dozen occasions over the last year or so and have been quite impressed. It's all the rage in the press as well.

Right Tim. It is the least expensive class A+ DAC listed in Stereophile. But, I bought it before I even read that. Casey, of ne plus ultra, here in Austin, demoed it for me with my Wilsons and I really liked the sound quality. The DAC, along with the Amarra software on the Mac, reproduces those musical nuances that help to make the music sound true to life, IMHO.

Anyone compare the ayre dac to their players. The c7xe mp?

The reason for the buzz around the Ayre DAC is that it compares more the c5 mp (but only if you have a laptop that is dedicated to music or if you have a great transport, otherwise c5 is better). The c5 is purchased by more reviewers than any other digital product. It takes double the price of the C5 mp to cleanly beat it (dCS Debussy), and it's not beaten by all products costing double or triple its price, as some will just sound different.

The Naim dac is pretty damn good too, but you lose a good bit of the Naim sonic signature if the rest of your gear in the chain is not Naim.

Good Luck

I started with the Wavelength Cosecant V3 and now have the Crimson (Denominator) and still haven't heard anything that compares.

Ayre happens to think that USB is the best way to connect. Even so, I think they would sell more QB-9s if they offered other connection types. I use a Mac Mini with Amarra software and the results are, IMHO, outstanding.

They would say that because they don't offer anything else!

But I also have a biased opinion becuase I'm precluded from using what I believe is a great DAC.

To eliminate a market that is rampant with Squeezeboxes, Sonos, Sooloos, Olive, Apple TV, Airport Express, et. al. seems a bit silly to me.

Still - good luck to them. Niche is what audiophile is all about!

I (very) recently bought a weiss dac202, although their dac2 is more in line with your budget i think. Both have the usual range of inputs (no usb) but allow the use of firewire as well. I've tried it via digital with a pioneer dvd575 as a transport & also with a macbook pro via firewire, and while its damn good over digital, firewire adds another level to the performance. I haven't got the amarra software yet, but several reviews suggest these products have a good synergy. The sound is already quite astonishing, there is really nothing "digital" about it, and it even makes downloads from itunes sound really rather good. Put it this way, if you invited someone round, dimmed the lights & played a few tracks I reckon they'd be pretty surprised when you revealed a laptop & petite box as the source!

I (very) recently bought a weiss dac202, ... I haven't got the amarra software yet, but several reviews suggest these products have a good synergy. The sound is already quite astonishing, there is really nothing "digital" about it, and it even makes downloads from itunes sound really rather good. ...

Be sure to also check out Channel D Pure Music software. It is getting rave reviews and is less expensive than Amarra. The latest TAS has a great write up on it. They tested it with the Weiss DAC 202. I probably would have gone that route if I had known about it when I purchased Amarra, just because it is so much cheaper. As to which sounds better? Who knows, but TAS couldn't really tell. Also, be aware that now Amarra has less expensive versions, also.

Back