Martin Logan Speakers On Hard Wood Floors

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FWIW.

Agree with Johann. I've done some A/B testing on Rich's hocky puck recommendation.

Compared to my BDR pits (vastly more expensive), they do have a warmer sonic signature, which you would expect, but they really are quite good for a very small amount of money.

Highly recommended to try. If you don't like, you're out 20 bucks.

GG

Hi Gordon, been following Rich's hockey puck (HP) recommendation with some interest. How do you think they would work under my Spires? A bit to to dark and warm would be my first thought. Or, I could HP the subs and move the BDR's under the Spire. You've heard my system, what do you think?

Gordon

Hey G,

My sense, based on my comparisons with the BDR pucks, is that the hockey pucks did impart a warmer signature. I'm still playing with final position, etc. but in my system, I like them.

I wouldn't necessarily recommend for your system. From my recollection, it was sufficiently revealing with good top extension, a nice touch of warmth in the midrange and a well defined mid bass, low end, thanks in part to your JL Audio subs. The overall sound was non fatiguing and quite well balanced from bottom to top.

But, for 20 bucks, you can try and if you don't like, find a friend who's into hockey. What the heck.

Or keep them as a projectile you can use if you want to have something to throw at somebody. :D

Finally, if you do try, you may have to adjust the Spire x-over settings as well as the x-over, volume settings on your subs to optimize their benefits.

If you're up for that, remember to record the initial settings prior to playing with this item.

FWIW, I did drill a small hole into the center of each puck for the spikes / cones to sit in.

GG

On a related note : what effect does placing a rug in front of Vantages on a solid floor have? Is it worthwhile to do so?

Last edited:
Hi.

I picked up (for free) (8) small granite/marble sample squares from the "kitchen refurbish dept) @ Home Depot that are 2" X 2" X 1/2" thick and place felt under each piece. They work great at no $$$ outlay + you get to choose from about 50 colors.

I would think that unless you get something to protect your floor it would affect your floor the way any heavy furniture would. I had a be once sitting on a hardwood floor and it scratched it up really bad.

I have employed a mixture of custom heavy brass feet to replace the standard spikes that came with my speaker and a few extremely inexpensive cushion feet (used to protect hard wood floors from furniture feet). I have found that this gives a solid footing for good sound definition and protects the floors as well. I have pictures of it in my home theater profile page on blu-ray.com:

http://www.blu-ray.com/community/gallery.php?member=invenio

My speaker is the Vantage:
Martin Logan tower speakers, Model Vantage, matched with Mapleshade Threaded Heaveyfeet (8), brass anti-vibration replacement spiked speaker feet and Shunyata Research Inc. Powersnakes (2), Venon PowerCable replacement powercords.

I am thinking about trying to experiment a little more with using metal protectors or simply different materials. We'll see how it goes. :)

Good Day Folks.

I thought that I would resurrect this thread as I am considering my options with regard to CLX's on a parquet floor over joists and have been mulling upon these ~

http://soundcare.no.24nb2.srv.ip.no/produkt/soundcare-spikes/standard-spikes/14-spikes

I would appreciate any user experience in respect of the particular Soundcare product as Soundcare do not seem to specify the thread turn ratio , and whether I would require standard 1/4" or the 1/4" plus 3/8" thread converters for CLX ?

Thank You .

Guys I'm having trouble with my MLs on hardwood suspended floor.

I currently have them spiked on a 2" maple platform that rests on sorbothane feet and I still have bass going into the floor and coloring the sound. Also it rattles some stuff on the walls.

Does anyone have ideas how to stop this? I'm currently thinking of making a roller bearing type suspension for under the platforms.

Back