"The Gerry Mulligan Quartet With Chet Baker"

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin

Reaction score
Artist: The Gerry Mulligan Quartet with Chet Baker
Title:
Limited Edition Release West Coast Classics
Gerry Mulligan The Original Quartet With Chet Baker
Year of Release: 1998
Record Label: Pacific Jazz Records
Genre: Jazz

Gerry Mulligan and Chet Baker over came their differences, at least on stage / in the studio, working together very successfully to record beautiful melodious jazz, for only about two years, from 1952–53. This is the period in which they were so prolific. Instrumental songs recorded from this time of great jazz...
This ‘Compilation’, double CD features:
New York saxophonist, Gerry Mulligan playing baritone saxophone, piano; Oklahoma born trumpeter, Chet Baker; Jimmy Rowles on piano; Carlton Smith bass; Larry Bunker drums; and other greats such as Joe Mondragon, Bob Whitlock and Chico Hamilton.
The quartet did change players occasionally, but through their short existence, Mulligan and Baker were the main stays. Their Sax and Trumpet musical melding was smooth and magical. They definitely left their personal disagreements at the door, when they began, to play magical jazz together. My favorite tracks were, “Makin’ Whoopee”, “Get Happy”, “Swinghouse”, “Darn That Dream”, “I May Be Wrong”, and last but not least, “My Funny Valentine”. Both Chet Baker and Gerry Mulligan, of course and naturally, went their separate creative ways, and they both continued to enjoy wonderful jazz careers. They were great jazz innovators. This early collaboration was proof of their genius, and it is just wonderful to hear them together…

The “Gerry Mulligan Quartet The Original Quartet With Chet Baker”, two disc, classic jazz CD is so relaxing to listen to through, our Martin Logan speakers. Only fellow, ML enthusiasts, can possible appreciate or know, what I am referring to, when I say, this jazz CD sounds so beautiful and transparent, with near perfect blending of instruments, only ML’s can reproduce effectively… Only ML’s can deliver sound quality, for this kind of smooth jazz. IMHO, no jazz collection should be without this fantastic jazz CD. I listen to it often and really enjoy it immensely. :D :D

Cheers

-Robin

Attachments

• B000007TFR.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
    B000007TFR.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 155
Last edited:
Back