Marantz TT-15S1, Clearaudio Concept? or Rega P5

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coolposter

Reaction score
I have sold my VPI Scout recently. Don't get me wrong, it sounds great! However, I'm really not a fan of the unipivot design. Especially when there's a 9 years old jumping around...

Anyway, after some research I've kinda settled on 2 brands: Clearaudio (Marantz TT-15S1/Concept) and Rega (P5). My budget will be somewhere around 1.5k (includes cartridge).

P5 is the most expensive one among all 3 (with TT PSU upgrade). Also I'm not sure whether RB700 arm holds the 14G Zu/DL-103 MC cartridge (the cartridge I'm looking to buy).

Marantz TT-15S1, 1.5k (comes with Clearaudio Virtuso MM cartridge).

Clearaudio Concept, 1.4k no cartridge.

TT-15S1 seems to be the best deal but again P5 has a very clear upgrade path. The real question is: where is Concept?

I have the option to get a used (almost new) Concept table for 1k and 1350 for a brand new TT-15S1. No used P5 on audiogon~~

Thanks,

Last edited:
There's a lot of competition in that price range. Check out the A-Gon. I just bought a used turntable and I'm very happy to be in a league that I wouldn't be in if I bought new. ($3,900.00 for a SME 10 w/10 arm) :D

I like the idea of the Clearaudio magnetic bearing that they're putting in the newer models, Concept included, I think. Lots of good reviews on that table. But also consider a good rack with plenty of isolation. DIY?

I'm not familiar with the other TTs you mention, but I did have the TT-15S1 here for a while (see the review in Issue 3 of the mag). I thought it was pretty good (make sure you use the mat), although I can't say how it stacks up against the competition.

One thing though, I'm not sure how easy it would be to use an alternative cartridge. The set up instructions assume the use of the Virtuoso Wood the TT comes with.

I have sold my VPI Scout recently. Don't get me wrong, it sounds great! However, I'm really not a fan of the unipivot design. Especially when there's a 9 years old jumping around...

Is a unipivot tonearm more susceptible to skipping due to vibration than a non-unipivot design? Why? I would think the suspension/plinth design or the turntable stand to be the culprit.

Is a unipivot tonearm more susceptible to skipping due to vibration than a non-unipivot design? Why? I would think the suspension/plinth design or the turntable stand to be the culprit.

If OP thinks the unipivot design is more likely to cause skipping, Clearaudio's magnetic tonearm design (even though a great design) will be just as bad...I would think even worse!

If OP thinks the unipivot design is more likely to cause skipping, Clearaudio's magnetic tonearm design (even though a great design) will be just as bad...I would think even worse!

Thanks Peter. Which brand has a better design?

Thanks Peter. Which brand has a better design?

I ordered a Clearaudio Emotion then called to cancel the order 2 days later but it was too late to cancel the shipment, but they gave me an RA # and after I hung up with them I ordered the VPI you have.

I love my VPI, but the new entry level model Clearuadio witht he magnetic tonearm look really interesting! Although I have no experience with any Clearaudio, I was going to tell you one thing, but just now I changed my mind. after giving it some more thought, I think the magenetic tonearm may act as a shock absorber, making it even better in preventing skipping.

But then again, unless you can prevent those little fingers from getting to it and feet frum jumping around, changing turntables isn't going to keep it from skipping. A TT wall mount would help more. Not purchased for the reason you would use it for, but I do use one.

Back