Thinking about a new preamp

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wardsweb

Reaction score
I have come across several and was wondering if any of you had used one of these or have an opinion. The first three are around $3000 and the Janus is $4000.

Conrad Johnson 16LS
Modwright LS36.5 (new version - push button switches)
Modwright 36.5 (old version -toggle switches)
Aesthetix Janus

I have come across several and was wondering if any of you had used one of these or have an opinion. The first three are around $3000 and the Janus is $4000.

Conrad Johnson 16LS
Aesthetix Janus

I'm currently running PrimaLuna Dialogue 3 pre... absolutely wonderful in all aspects (IMO of course). About $2500 new.

I've owned Pass Labs X1 pre in the past as well... typical Nelson Pass performance, very neutral and authoritative... but to my ear, not as musically satisfying as the PL tube gear.

I'm afraid I don't have much more to add... many of my system iterations have been sans-pre (using source components with level control to directly drive amps).

Cheers

What are you currently using for a phono preamp?

I'm thinking about getting something like a Manley Steelhead to use as a kind of second preamp to run two turntables and a Reel to reel on the other side of the room.

This being a post in the analog section made me think about that. Other than that, I got nuthin'... :D

Satch

What are you currently using for a phono preamp?

I'm thinking about getting something like a Manley Steelhead to use as a kind of second preamp to run two turntables and a Reel to reel on the other side of the room.

This being a post in the analog section made me think about that. Other than that, I got nuthin'... :D

Satch

Presently running a Juicy Music Tercel phono pre. If my new pre has a phono section I like, I'll be selling the Tercel.

One very nice LOOKING phono preamp is the Fosgate. I have no idea what it sounds like, but it did get a good review in TAS, and it's cheap by today's standards ($2,500). Has anyone here heard it?

Why not take a vintage tube preamp for a ride first?

Try a Luxman CL-32 or CL-34. They might be much better than you expect. If not, pass it on to the next auctionee...:cool:

I've not tried one - but I might do sooner or later. No R/C though.

I have not heard all of the ones on your list but the CJ 16 is a fine sounding preamp and I think you would be very happy with it

Conrad Johnson 16LS
Aesthetix Janus

What are you looking for? A tube type - warmer sound - or more of a solid state sound? I have read that the modwright is very clean sounding - very dynamic - but if you are looking for a lush tube type of sound - that may not be your ticket.... If I recall reading on audioasylum -- guys saying the Aesthetix Calypso was a lush sounding type pre...... Haven't actually heard any of these - just what I have read.... Personally, I like my cary slp 98p... but I wanted more of a tube sound to be added into the mix...and it does that quite nicely....

I've been offerd the following. I'm leaning toward the 16LS for the warmth and that my wife likes the looks.

Thor Audio TA-2000
Conrad Johnson 16LS
Aesthetix Janus
VTL 5.5
H2O Audio Fire
Atoll Electronique PR-200
Jaton RC2000S

With the given list, it'll be a toss up between the CJ and Aesthetix for warmth. The ModWright will be more neutral and won't fit your preference for warmth. Out of curiosity, why the Carys (SLP-98 or SLP-05) are not on the list if you're looking for warmth? On a side note, you might want to consider...tube type. The CJ uses 6922 tubes and these could command premium prices for good ones. I think the 6SN7 tubes are much better for pre-amp applications and they are much cheaper for decent tubes. Just something to ponder upon...

Spike

With the given list, it'll be a toss up between the CJ and Aesthetix for warmth. The ModWright will be more neutral and won't fit your preference for warmth. Out of curiosity, why the Carys (SLP-98 or SLP-05) are not on the list if you're looking for warmth? On a side note, you might want to consider...tube type. The CJ uses 6922 tubes and these could command premium prices for good ones. I think the 6SN7 tubes are much better for pre-amp applications and they are much cheaper for decent tubes. Just something to ponder upon...

Spike

The list is for specific units I have emails from the owners on. The CJ comes witht the stock CJ tubes and three extra sets: LaRadio, JAN-Philips, and Telsa.

What Spike said. Like timm I also have a Cary SLP 98-P and really like it with the NOS tubes that I got from Kevin at Upscale Audio. Only problem with the Cary is the phono section only works with MM carts and I'm using a Consonance PM-3 step up transformer for the Shelter 501 II MC cart on the SME table. That's why I'm thinking about getting a separate Phono Preamp.

Christmas came early today when I picked up the Conrad Johnson 16LS. I like it right out of the box. Now to spend some time with it and see how it goes.

CJ16LS.jpg

Great Choice , Give us one of your great mini reviews after you listen for a bit .

Great Choice , Give us one of your great mini reviews after you listen for a bit .

As a testament to it's tube design, even my wife notice the warmth of the sound. It a lushness that wraps the soundstage around you like a cozy blanket. This and still retain detail and clarity. I have played it almost all day. It was never forced or over bearing. It is effortless and easy to listen too. So she looks like a keeper.

It looks like I will be having three systems now. The 2-channel as shown, the home theater with a pair of Klipsh Jubilee (picking up this coming Saturday) and another 2-channel using the Prodigys driven by the Carver Silver 7t, my older Shanling CDP and the McIntosh C36 (the lost channel was not the pre, it was a bad cable). Its going to be a great Christmas.

Very nice , I am glad you are enjoying it I have a premier 17 LS wish I had yours. Enjoy the systems! With three systems how do you choose which room to go in :D

Latest posts

Back