Service Notice for Discontinued Products

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
does this include panels? i was under the impression that there would be some lead time before announcing unavailability.

Bummer...any idea what the "new special promotion" be?

I would assume some credit on a new model. Any ideas as to what ideas are being thrown around at ML HQ?

And so it begins . . . :(

Question: Why would I spend over twenty grand on a pair of CLX, when in a mere fifteen years or so they are going to be "no longer serviced" by the manufacturer? :confused:

And so it begins . . . :(
Question: Why would I spend over twenty grand on a pair of CLX, when in a mere fifteen years or so they are going to be "no longer serviced" by the manufacturer? :confused:

The same can be said about purchasing any product at any price.

This is the first time I have ever heard of a manufacture giving the heads up that they won't be bale to service a product in the future.

Most times you are not told anything until it is time to repair.

I too am bummed - but appreciate the note.

I think we look at other companies - I'll use Magnepan as an example - that seem to have that small company feeling that will support their product till the end of times (I think somewhere around 2012?? :) ). I think all of us had that feeling about ML at one time or another. The bottom line for me is that my Odysseys are not on that list - but probably will be at some point. When they go south - or maybe my hearing will go first and I won't hear it?? - then I'll be looking at another possible purchase. What a great excuse!! Just hope I can justify the cost so that I can live the latter stages of my life in sonic nirvana... But now that I put it that way....Do I really have any other choice??

He who dies with the coolest speakers wins!!! :devil:

Question: Why would I spend over twenty grand on a pair of CLX, when in a mere fifteen years or so they are going to be "no longer serviced" by the manufacturer?

A very good point.

In the next year or so I was planning to upgrade my speakers, possibly to ethos or spire, among some other non ML options.

I dont know whether I am being unreasonable or not, but I am not so sure whether ML is the way to go any more.

I am not saying I wont (I probably still will), but this gives me pause.

we all knew that this was coming, it should be no shock to anyone.

however.

25 days notice right at the time of year when people are already looking at big bills is rude. i happen to have a cache of stereo money that (for obvious reasons) i have not been using. but do others? that's just wrong.

i was certainly under the impression that the "lead time" warning of discontinuation, would be measured in months, not days or weeks.

Hey guys, as promised I wanted to let you know as soon as I received more information regarding products that MartinLogan will no longer be able to service.

CLS 1
Monolith 1, Monolith 2
Quest, Quest z
Sequel, Sequel 2
Logos
Stylos
Statement (Original)

We have a very limited stock of only specific parts related to the above models. Our inventory control system indicates that, at current run rates, inventory will be completely depleted on or before December 31st, 2010. Please note that any orders received for parts or service related to these models between now and December 31st, 2010 will be subject to parts availability.
----------------------------------------------------------

Justin,

As I read this it says "Service is over NOW" unless you need one of the limited quantity parts that is currently (but not for long) in stock. For me I'm lucky, none of the 12 ML's from CLX's to Aeon i's (7 models) is on this list. But now I guess I'll be looking over my shoulder.

Regards,
Gary

1 + 1 are not adding up to 2 here.

"Can no longer purchase parts". Considering a Sequel I and Sequel II is virtually the same as a SL3, how can this be? If ML can purchase parts for the SL3, why not the Sequel II? Same goes for the CLS 1. Huh?

Same for the panels. A Sequel 2 panel is identical to a SL3/Ascent panel, is it not? How come no panel for Sequel 2, but not the Ascent i?

Also, the parts required for panels can always be purchased - all that is needed is sheet metal, mylar and glue. Why are these included?

It is a bummer. But ML is not a mom and pos shop so the $$$ reigns supreme. A good business case can probably be made for the decision.

Same for the panels. A Sequel 2 panel is identical to a SL3/Ascent panel, is it not? How come no panel for Sequel 2, but not the Ascent i?

Sorry to hijack the thread, but, is this true? If so, is there a cross-reference chart or something like that to go by for interchangeable parts? I'd think that'd be very handy.

A good business case can probably be made for the decision.

As with most of these things, there are arguments for and against.

The "good" business case probably surrounds immediate saving of money forcing customers of older models to upgrade.

The "bad" business case is around p1ssing off customers that have spent extraordinary sums of money on your product and reducing the chances repeat patronage.

Short term gain, long term damage to the brand.

Whoever made this decision obviously has a certain agenda - but there are others too.

The "bad" business case is around p1ssing off customers that have spent extraordinary sums of money on your product and reducing the chances repeat patronage.

I'm assuming most people still using the models in this post haven't given Martin Logan much (if any) money in a very long time. They're probably at least as likely to buy new Martin Logans because their old ones can no longer be serviced than they would be otherwise.

You know a few years ago you could have gone out a bought an absolutely state of the art speaker system called the Pipedream. Stunning piece of gear that I was fortunate to hear once. Today if something were to go wrong with your $100K set of Pipedreams you would be pretty much out of luck entirely. The company no longer exists. Same thing if you own a Sonic Frontiers or Golden Tube amp. Wadia, Theta, Levinson etc. almost all went by the wayside in recent years. I own a wonderful set of CLS IIz's, and sure I'd be disappointed if I couldn't get replacement panels for them. Before that day comes I'll evaluate if that makes sense for me and then decide whether to spend the coin or not. Someday when I can't get replacements any more I'll remember all the good times I enjoyed with my CLS's. Maybe I'll replace them with another set of Martin Logans, maybe I won't. I certainly won't feel betrayed by the company or like the world has ended. Time marches on folks.

I understand the argument that any company can go out of business, and then what good is their warranty. But you don't make decisions on current purchases based on things you can't predict. You make them based on what you know in the here and now about a company and its policies and products.

Based on the recent decisions made by the current management of Martin Logan, if I was upgrading my Summits right now, I would have to go with Soundlabs, Magnepan, or Sanders' Sound. Because I know those companies stand behind every product they have ever made. Martin Logan has made clear they are not interested in being bothered supporting their legacy products. That's a pretty clear slap in the face to their former customers.

That type of attitude is not going to entice me to spend upwards of 20K on a set of speakers from them. A few years ago, it would have been unheard of for me to seriously consider any other brand for my next speaker purchase. A lot has changed in the last few years. My personal belief is that Martin Logan is willingly sacrificing their reputation and long-term customer loyalty in order to pursue short-term profit gains through cost-cutting and mass production of lower-end gear.

You know a few years ago you could have gone out a bought an absolutely state of the art speaker system called the Pipedream. Stunning piece of gear that I was fortunate to hear once. Today if something were to go wrong with your $100K set of Pipedreams you would be pretty much out of luck entirely. The company no longer exists. Same thing if you own a Sonic Frontiers or Golden Tube amp. Wadia, Theta, Levinson etc. almost all went by the wayside in recent years. I own a wonderful set of CLS IIz's, and sure I'd be disappointed if I couldn't get replacement panels for them. Before that day comes I'll evaluate if that makes sense for me and then decide whether to spend the coin or not. Someday when I can't get replacements any more I'll remember all the good times I enjoyed with my CLS's. Maybe I'll replace them with another set of Martin Logans, maybe I won't. I certainly won't feel betrayed by the company or like the world has ended. Time marches on folks.

Yes, time marches on, but the question i raised in this and other threads is what does ML consider to be adequate/sufficient heads up or warning that a type of panel is to be discontinued.

i have never quibbled or disagreed with their decision to move on to newer products or discontinue older ones.

what i disagree with is giving 3 short weeks notice right at Christmas, a time of year when budgets are tight for many. Thanks for that :(

if i didn't have a panel budget in my hip pocket i'd be some put out that i'd just put down $2500 on getting some antiques refinished. that would ironically have covered panel cost. so even though i'm flush enough to do that, and at this point in time, i'm sure happy that i have that panel budget.

I'm assuming most people still using the models in this post haven't given Martin Logan much (if any) money in a very long time. They're probably at least as likely to buy new Martin Logans because their old ones can no longer be serviced than they would be otherwise.

Logos, pair of script, depth, another pair of script, another depth.

And we'd be rightly upset if ML went out of business tomorrow also.

Some things can't be controlled.

ARC maintains a parts inventory for every single product they have manufactured.

That's the difference between a genuine high-end company and flash-in-the-pans. ARC is steeped in tradition, has a massive loyalty, a massive following and is one of the world's most successful high-end company. There's a reason for that. Of course, they're not for everyone. There are many factors involved.

Back