SL3 woofer replacement

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poormonkey

Reaction score
I have searched this forum, but most of the SL3 woofer replacement talk, well they don't make any of those woofers any more that people talked about.

The original woofer is the following, Vifa M26WO-06-04

So, anyone have any suggestions for an SL3 woofer replacement?

Martin Logan tech support said this, "The new woofer is a Tymphany woofer MA26wo07. The woofers run $240.00 ea with an additional $10.00 for shipping."

I searched for that woofer that they provided, and I can't find that any where on the web.

Partsexpress suggested the following, "The Vifa Neo is indeed as close to a direct replacement as we have. The Dayton will work in the same cabinet but some modifications to the mounting may be necessary."

Vifa NE265W-04 10" Subwoofer

Is anyone running the Vifa NE265W-04 10" Subwoofer, that partsexperss suggested? Or anyone have any suggestions?

$250 from martin logan to me seems pretty high on price.

Or should I just bite the bullet and replace even the still working woofer, and put two of the same ones in and just call it a day?

Last edited:
Given the fact it is a different driver and within the context of "voicing" the speakers, you should replace both and, at that point, it starts to get cost prohibitive.

However, if the panels are in good shape and you plan on keeping the SL3's for awhile, I'd probably do it.

I had the SL3 for some five years and it really is a great value. You may want to check out the "tweeks" section (my thread) on how you can further improve the performance.

GG

Last edited:
I think Madisound's Peerless 835016 XXLS 10" Aluminum Cone 4 ohm ($161) is a better choice than the Vifa NE265W-04, if only because it appears to be an exact physical fit (plus it has smoother response, efficiency closer to original woofer, and will be OK - not great, about 3dB down from original at ~40Hz, but should have better upper bass - in a sealed box of the SL3's volume). Odd that there really aren't any drop-in replacements any more. Progress?

There are more possibilities if one can go active XO on the bass and use an 8 Ohm driver. Using a 12 inch woofer with a Linkwitz transform is where I see real improvements in bass from the SL3...

Last edited:
Hi Tosh,

One can effect real, audible improvements in the SL3 bass by simply installing "Road Kill" or equivalent as described in my thread in the "tweeks" section.

GG

I think Madisound's Peerless 835016 XXLS 10" Aluminum Cone 4 ohm ($161) is a better choice than the Vifa NE265W-04, if only because it appears to be an exact physical fit (plus it has smoother response, efficiency closer to original woofer, and will be OK - not great, about 3dB down from original at ~40Hz, but should have better upper bass - in a sealed box of the SL3's volume). Odd that there really aren't any drop-in replacements any more. Progress?

There are more possibilities if one can go active XO on the bass and use an 8 Ohm driver. Using a 12 inch woofer with a Linkwitz transform is where I see real improvements in bass from the SL3...

Thanks for the feedback. I am really not too concerned with getting all the bass I can out of the SL3. I am running two external 15" subwoofers that each have a 300 watt amp on them. I did look at the Peerless 835016 subwoofer.

I spoke with a gentleman over at Madisound today, and he recommend I go with Scanspeak discovery 26W/4534G00 10" subwoofer. He told me they are a very solid subwoofer, and that in his opinion that is what he would go with for a replacement for the SL3 10" subwoofer.

I don't know much about Scanspeak other then I have read in some forums saying they are giving Peerless and Vifa a run for their money....

I got two from here about 10 months ago. $112 CAD each.

VIFA PL26WR09-04 and here's the spec

It's now backorder.. These suckers are really hard to find just FYI. I would suggest you just buy it from Martin Logan as you won't be able to find them easily, if not never, in north america.

Good luck!

BTW I have tried a pair of Peerless XXLS 10" 4ohm from Madisound, definitely no good.

BTW I have tried a pair of Peerless XXLS 10" 4ohm from Madisound, definitely no good.
Which one did you try? There were at least three Peerless XXLS 10" 4 ohm models: 830951, 830842, and 835016. The 830842 would not be suitable for a sealed box.

I spoke with a gentleman over at Madisound today, and he recommend I go with Scanspeak discovery 26W/4534G00 10" subwoofer. He told me they are a very solid subwoofer, and that in his opinion that is what he would go with for a replacement for the SL3 10" subwoofer.

I don't know much about Scanspeak other then I have read in some forums saying they are giving Peerless and Vifa a run for their money....
Scan-Speak make very good drivers, and the 26W/4558T appears to be suitable for the SL3 cabinet as well (although a bit pricey).

edited to say: I see the 26W/4558T at Madisound, but not the 26W/4534G00?

Last edited:
I got two from here about 10 months ago. $112 CAD each.

VIFA PL26WR09-04 and here's the spec

It's now backorder.. These suckers are really hard to find just FYI. I would suggest you just buy it from Martin Logan as you won't be able to find them easily, if not never, in north america.

Good luck!

I called a few places today on the, VIFA PL26WR09-04, and I was told they are discontinued and they won't be getting any more in. The told me I should go with the Vifa NE265W.

Also, I was told I could over drive the scanspeak 26W/4534G00 subwoofers.

I guess now it kind of looks like I might have to bite the bullet and go with the NE265W-04.

Which one did you try? There were at least three Peerless XXLS 10" 4 ohm models: 830951, 830842, and 835016. The 830842 would not be suitable for a sealed box.

I will double check once I get home. But if my memory serves me right, the 830842 is what I got.

Tosh said:
I called a few places today on the, VIFA PL26WR09-04, and I was told they are discontinued and they won't be getting any more in. The told me I should go with the Vifa NE265W.

I guess now it kind of looks like I might have to bite the bullet and go with the NE265W-04.

Yes my friend, buy it from Martin Logan is the only choice. I know it hurts, $500 for a pair of woofer units! On the bright side, they quoted me $340 each last year.. :)

Last edited:
Do you mean the 26W/4558T? Either way, the Peerless and Scan-Speak 10" sub woofers have more than double the excursion of the OEM Vifa, so there should be no worry there.

Do stay away from woofers designed to work as Subwoofers. They will inevitably have more mass, less high-end extension and more THD at higher frequencies. All bad things with respect to mating with the panel.

Focus on finding a driver that covers the 60 - 500Hz range well, with low distortion and low mass cone.

Since the OP has a sub in the rig, the SL3 woofer does not need to go low. So focus on getting clean bass and mid-bass. Better results that way.

Do you mean the 26W/4558T? Either way, the Peerless and Scan-Speak 10" sub woofers have more than double the excursion of the OEM Vifa, so there should be no worry there.

It was the scan-speak, 26W/4534G00, that was recommened to me to go with as a replacement....

http://www.scan-speak.dk/datasheet/pdf/26w-4534g00.pdf

I have been looking at the 26W/4558T as well, anyone recommend using it?

Last edited:
Hmm.. just make sure which ever unit you buy it has matching parameters to the originals. It may be hard or impossible to find and even to find out the parameters for ML units migth be hard as many times speaker manufactures use OEM units tuned for their application and no similar units are available generally.
If you choose something else then replacement units from ML be prepared to extensive tuning or complete redesign of LF-xover section.
my 2cs

I talked to the guys at madisound, and they were unable to find the paramaters on the original woofer, Vifa M26WO-06-04....

Decisions, decisions......

It was the scan-speak, 26W/4534G00, that was recommened to me to go with as a replacement....

http://www.scan-speak.dk/datasheet/pdf/26w-4534g00.pdf
I had not seen that one yet. It is a woofer (as opposed to sub woofer.) Simulation gives an f3 of just under 60Hz, so not great (as the OEM Vifa has an f3 around 45Hz). It also has similar linear excursion as the OEM Vifa, which is the limitation of making lots of bass from my SL3s. It has a 1mm larger basket OD than the OEM Vifa, so lets hope it fits the counterbore of the SL3 enclosure.

Last edited:
Do stay away from woofers designed to work as Subwoofers. They will inevitably have more mass, less high-end extension and more THD at higher frequencies. All bad things with respect to mating with the panel.
I agree in general, but the Peerless 835016 sub woofer is smooth beyond 1k (with cone break-up at 3k) and is designed (and has a reputation) for having low distortion.
In a simulation, it looks quite a lot better (~3dB more at 30Hz, plus twice the linear excursion) than the Scan-Speak 26W/4534G00 mentioned earlier. Still, not perfect for the SL3 box....

Well, since some of you guys are advanced experts when it comes to looking at the parameters on subwoofers, anyone have a direction I should go with on a replcement? I will kick myself in the a@@ if I order a replacement pair from Martin Logan, to find out when I receive them, that they just put a different part number on a pair of subwoofers I could of just ordered myself. I was trying to avoid dropping $500 on a pair from Martin Logan, I would rather avoid dealing with the wife on spending that much money if all possible.....

@poormonkey SO...The answer seems to be a question. Who will bite the bullet first? You or I? I also need a replacement SL3 driver. I will probably just buy two from Martin Logan unless you do first :D In which case I will buy your working driver. Martin Logan was closed today.

Does anyone have any updates on this thread?

Poormonkey email me at [email protected] and let's see what we can figure out. If you have purchased 2 from martin logan I will purchase your old one. If not mine will be yours. Keep the wife off your back and I will only charge you shipping on the driver as one of my 2010 close out good deeds :rocker:

Anyone have a good sub for sale?

Latest posts

Back