Jim Smith Get Better Sound DVD

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepysurf

Reaction score
Just read on 6moons that Jim Smith now has a Get Better Sound DVD, apparently showing him actually fine-tuning various audio setups...
[URL="http://www.getbettersound.com"]http://www.getbettersound.com

I attended Jim's seminar at Axpona last year, and chatted with him a bit privately. I found his book extremely helpful, and recall at least one forum member hired him for a personalized in-house setup. I wonder if he specifically demo's a dipole speaker setup (ML, or other) in the video?
[/URL]

I'm currently reading Get Better Sound so that I can review it in the mag. Once that's done I might try to get a copy of the DVD, in which case I'll try to answer that question (assuming noone else does first!).

I think C.A.P. should release a video nailing the speaker position to the last 1/16 of an inch.

Did you not like the advice or were you not able to visualize some of his suggestions? Or something else? Please say more.
Most info in the book can be gleaned off the internet such as here, The chapter on cathedral ceilings was a stunner, from my own experience, ass backward, and any justification for esoterica such as bronze loose change bowls, no matter how qualified, is pure hucksterism in my opinion. The basic premise of the book is excellent, but most "high-enders" have explored most of the subject matter toward their own conclusions. Maybe I expected more.

I gave my copy away. haven't missed it.

Just a side note, but you could have returned it and received your money back according to his guarantee. I liked it because it provided many tips that are free to try without costing me a penny other than the cost of the book itself. You may be right that an experienced audiophile would probably know much of the information given out in the book, but they would most likely benefit from having a quick reference to browse through for a quick reminder. In my estimation it was worth every penny that I paid and I look forward to his DVD.

Last edited:
Most info in the book can be gleaned off the internet such as here, The chapter on cathedral ceilings was a stunner, from my own experience, ass backward, and any justification for esoterica such as bronze loose change bowls, no matter how qualified, is pure hucksterism in my opinion. The basic premise of the book is excellent, but most "high-enders" have explored most of the subject matter toward their own conclusions. Maybe I expected more.

Just happened to see this post.

If the info was on the Internet, I wouldn't have taken the time to write it.

I could list well over a dozen Internet "truths" that are simply incorrect, and I do so in seminars and in the book & DVD.

Umm, and I never mentioned bronze bowls. :rolleyes:

Incidentally, out of hundreds, maybe thousands of "high-enders" that I've visited, I've never found one whose system was performing at more than about 50% of its capability.

We then moved the system well ahead in performance - and without spending another dime on new components or wire, etc.

Actually, I discovered that the longer they'd been "high-enders", more often than not, the worse their systems were, because they had put into practice so much Internet audiophile lore that is simply wrong.

I call it "Audiophile Common Knowledge"

In fact, at RMAF last year, I moderated a seminar on system optimization with Charlie Hansen of Ayre. We discussed some of this mistaken info. Turned out that Charlie disliked cathedral ceilings maybe more than me. And I didn't say that we couldn't work with what folks have. I do it all the time. I simply advised not planning such a room from scratch.

http://audiofest.net/2011/video_player.php?video_id=21&Sid=0d49d241fc4e62ce88f934e11e86a7aa

And the cathedral ceiling issue is widely known by anyone who actually has any experience in voicing systems.

I've done hundreds with success, even the cathdral ceiling rooms. They simply have more issues in the boundary dependent region. And it's not just audible. Sadly, it's measurable as well.

I picked up a copy of Jim's book at Audio Alternative when I was there getting some other gear, Glen (FOUNTAIN) happened to be there and he and the owner Alan recommended I get a copy and I have to say just a few of the tips I picked up were worth the cost of admission. I would say that it was very helpful to me and reinforced some things I knew intuitively. Thanks for an easy to understand roadmap to better sound.

Back