Tri-amplification with ML Aeon with cross over

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greemor

Reaction score
Hi Guys!
I have ML Aeon, and after they had a shower they are like new..
I am beginning to test some configurations...Right now i have 3 amps:

Musical Fidelity Dr. Thomas (panels)
Quad 405 - I (woofer)
Copland CTA - 501
Cross Over: Behringer CX 3400

Copland it´s dedicated to a pair of electroestatics tweeters (Realistic - 3).

I had never configurated a croos over. This is way i have some dubts:
Since the Aeon had it´s own filters. How do the croosover affect to them?
I know the croosover frecuency for the Aeon is 450Hz. I´ve tried to set the control for the Low´s in the crossover to this frecuency. It seems a little forced but it´s ok. So the panels goes from 400-450hz to....and this my dubt...??...i set the croosver for the highs from 6500-7000Hz to the top. Do you know which is "real" max frecuency for the panels ? The max frecuency that i can set in the croosover for the panels is 9500Hz..So you think i must let the panel take the control for those frecuencies and let de tweeters catch the frecuencies above this?

Thanks and i´m sorry about my english!!

Javier

If indeed your washed panels are as good as new then you should not need additional tweeters.
What you have are 3 different amps that are going to have 3 different operating parameters. you will need some kind of sound meter and tone generator to dial any kind of outboard crossover in correctly. Then again, those settings may not work at different volume levels (going back to 3 amps / 3 driver modules)
I seriously doubt an analog Behringer x-over can offer any improvement on the factory x-over and more likely decreases performance.

If indeed your washed panels are as good as new then you should not need additional tweeters.
What you have are 3 different amps that are going to have 3 different operating parameters. you will need some kind of sound meter and tone generator to dial any kind of outboard crossover in correctly. Then again, those settings may not work at different volume levels (going back to 3 amps / 3 driver modules)
I seriously doubt an analog Behringer x-over can offer any improvement on the factory x-over and more likely decreases performance.

Thank for your answer...
The sound meter i think is a good idea..i´ll try to get one..by now i must trust in my ears..
I use the tweeters for some time ago and i can tell you about the improvement on higher frecuencies is more than evident.
The Behringer crossover offers the chance to set up a lot of details of the system and i can tell about the improvement...Anyway i use it because i need it to tri-amplification.

Thank you

In my eyes you are going down a bad road. Bi-amp might be okay, but tri-amp? With 3 different amps? Does any of the amps have gain controls?
If you biamp, use identical amplifiers, or amplifiers from the same manufacturer, or least ideal, amps with same gain values.
Different gain values will give different amplification, and different amps will give different sound....
Aeon is a stunning small speaker, capable of very high fidelity but I doubt you will get with what you have in mind, but, well, if you try it I wouldnt use any filtering eith the Behringer since Aeon have its own filter. The only advantage I can think of with the Behringer crossover is if you have control over gain, and can remove low frequencies tio the amp driving the panels, but I am not even sure that is noticeable in the end.
So, sorry, I am old fashioned, one good amp is all you need I think.

In my eyes you are going down a bad road. Bi-amp might be okay, but tri-amp? With 3 different amps? Does any of the amps have gain controls?
If you biamp, use identical amplifiers, or amplifiers from the same manufacturer, or least ideal, amps with same gain values.
Different gain values will give different amplification, and different amps will give different sound....
Aeon is a stunning small speaker, capable of very high fidelity but I doubt you will get with what you have in mind, but, well, if you try it I wouldnt use any filtering eith the Behringer since Aeon have its own filter. The only advantage I can think of with the Behringer crossover is if you have control over gain, and can remove low frequencies tio the amp driving the panels, but I am not even sure that is noticeable in the end.
So, sorry, I am old fashioned, one good amp is all you need I think.

Hi Nielsen, thanks for your reply...
You are right, 3 amps, 3 different amplification..etc...that´s the reason why i use a crossover...jeje
I guees the ideal is to have the same amp for bi or triamp but right now is not possible..anyway i´ll look for it!
The third amp is dedicated to a pairs of electroestatic tweters, to get the higher frecuencies....yes, i know, you tell me the aeon can give until 20000Hz...but i think this is only theoric...
I can tell you is, that using a external tweeters, is noticiable in the end!!
With crossover i have one gain control for every channel in the low, low-mid and highs...and of course although the panel has its own filter above 450Hz, i set the xover the way that frecuencies below 450Hz dont reach the panel..
By now, the panels works in its own normal frecuency range (450hz-max. it can give) and above this frec, the tweeters completes the sound with the highest frec.) The tweeter although has its own filter too, but it works from 7000Hz and up....
I hope for your commentaries---it´s very helpful for me...i wish you could try this configuration and give me your opinions...

Thanks

With crossover i have one gain control for every channel in the low, low-mid and highs...and of course although the panel has its own filter above 450Hz, i set the xover the way that frecuencies below 450Hz dont reach the panel..
By now, the panels works in its own normal frecuency range (450hz-max. it can give) and above this frec, the tweeters completes the sound with the highest frec.) The tweeter although has its own filter too, but it works from 7000Hz and up....
I hope for your commentaries---it´s very helpful for me...i wish you could try this configuration and give me your opinions...

Thanks

I assume that you did not bypass the original crossover, meaning that cutting off near or at the frequency of the original Aeon's crossover you have effectively changed the order of the filters, probably causing dips and phase shifts that influence the sound to the point that it does not sound as intended. I'd personally go with at least 2 octaves below and above 450Hz to avoid this.

I think that means:
Two low-pass or two high-pass crossovers in the same circuit, will have strange interactions if their frequencies are close to each other. That's why the recommended two octave separation.

Back