"Checkpoints" phone app

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsmooth

MLO Supporter
Reaction score
Has anybody checked this app out yet? I downloaded it on Wednesday and it has been great so far. It basically gives you points for scanning the barcodes of items you see when you shop. It provides you a list of stores in the area using the phone's gps and then a list of products that are associated with the company. You can take the points you earn and redeem them for iTunes, amazon, and gamestop gift cards along with all kinds of other stuff (like sky miles or apple tv). It is kind of fun to hunt for stuff when you are stuck with your wife doing some shopping :ROFL:. I already earned a $15 iTunes card using it a few times over the last three days and have had fun doing it. If you sign up, use my call sign "tsmooth" and you get 100 points extra.

If you have used this app, what are your thoughts? Do you think this is the future of consumer driven advertising? I think it is the first program I have found that was actually worth any time.

Interesting.
As long as we're talking phone apps, here's one I like...Shazam. Ever want to know the name or album of a song that is playing, but can't think of it? Just open Shazam and hold your phone so it can sample the song and within seconds you will receive the name of the song and a picture of the album it is from. I can't remember if it was a free download or it cost 99 cents, but it is pretty cool. My phone is a droid incredible on the verizon network.

Last edited:
WOW, I downloaded shazam, there was a commercial on TV with music, and the thing told me everything about the song. Thanks for the recommendation.

Just wanted to note that both these are free.

Yeah, I used Soundhound extensively at RMAF this past October to identify everything under the sun. Not only does it tell you the song and album, but it will include a music video if there is one available, let you bookmark it and even download it directly from iTunes if you're so inclined. I found a lot of cool music using it at RMAF including some VERY esoteric Indian Trance Orchestral pieces. One of my favorite Aps on my iPad.

Another vote for SoundHound over Shazam. These mobile devices are getting very good. I'd love to see the code behind SoundHound because as far as I am concerned it is Voodoo. I've got a broad idea of how it works, but I seriously don't think I could write it as it just isn't my area of expertise. Respect for the person or people that managed such a good job, though. It's pretty clever stuff.

It was Tim's RMAF posts that got me onto it. Thanks Tim!:)

I downloaded the Sound Hound (SH) app, too. Now, if one of the apps doesn't get the song, maybe the other will! I notice that both of them seem to have a hard time with some instrumental jazz. The SH app just said it couldn't find it, while the Shazam gave me the wrong artist or said it couldn't find it.

Latest posts

Back