What's up with Oppo?

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rich

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone know what's going on with Oppo? I just went to their online site to see about ordering another DVD player, because my old Yamaha DVD player in my den bit the dust. I figured if I was going to spend the money, may as well spend a little more and get a quality unit with Blu Ray. I love my BDP-83 in my media room, so I was thinking about getting maybe a BDP-80 for the den.

On the Oppo site, all their current products (BDP-83 and BDP-80) are listed as no longer in production "due to a shortage of major components used to manufacture" them. The BDP-93, with Blu-Ray 3d, is listed as "coming soon." Looks like it will sell for the same price as the BDP-83 sold for. No word on when "soon" is.

Very strange to see such a popular model as the BDP-83 cycled out of production before something is in place to replace it. Especially heading into the Christmas holiday buying season. I really didn't want to spend that much for this player, as it is just for a small screen tv, but I do enjoy the quality of the Oppo units. Sure wish they would continue making a basic unit at a more reasonable price.

While the 83 has been discontinued, it is still available from many retailers, including Amazon, albeit for a price that seems inflated. I'm pretty sure the 93 isn't far off.

I'm sure they didn't deliberately cancel the 83 before the 93 was done, but a company like Oppo doesn't have the purchasing power necessary to unilaterally keep a parts manufacturer from discontinuing an item.

Also, you may want to refer to this thread http://www.martinloganowners.com/~tdacquis/forum/showthread.php?t=11354

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm not looking to pay an inflated price for it. Thanks for the link to the other thread. I missed that one somehow. Now I just have to decide whether to wait for the BDP-93 or buy a used BDP-83 off of the 'gon.

Rich,

Was also looking at buying a used 83 or 83SE. My Sony recently died.

Unfortunately, those who are selling are asking an absurd price for a used unit. Maybe 25% off list at best.

I'm sure once the new units come out, folks selling those units will be a bit less greedy and learn the lesson of supply and demand.

Gordon

There are in fact major shortages of certain electrical components world wide right now. We started seeing it in ballasts around the middle of the summer, with most going on very strict allocation. We've had to be very resourceful sourcing ballasts from a multitude of suppliers, but all the big guys (ULT -Panasonic, Phillips and GE) continue to keep us on allocation while they move components into their consumer goods to meet Christmas demand. Since Oppo isn't one of the big boys (relatively speaking) I'm sure they are experiencing the same shortages. We're told not to expect significant relief until mid-Q2-11.

There are in fact major shortages of certain electrical components world wide right now. We started seeing it in ballasts around the middle of the summer, with most going on very strict allocation. We've had to be very resourceful sourcing ballasts from a multitude of suppliers, but all the big guys (ULT -Panasonic, Phillips and GE) continue to keep us on allocation while they move components into their consumer goods to meet Christmas demand. Since Oppo isn't one of the big boys (relatively speaking) I'm sure they are experiencing the same shortages. We're told not to expect significant relief until mid-Q2-11.

Many component shortages in the Semiconductor biz these days as well... long lead times, angry customers, etc.

Got the OPPO BDP-93 3D Bluray Universal Player tonight. For under 500 bucks it is a steal.

Still a couple firmware updates from being 100% complete with all the features fully utilized but wow, the BDP83 was nice, this is even nicer.

I still have 2 BDP-83s and most likely will keep them, I have had zero issues with mine.

The BDP-93 should be available to the public by January 1st would be my guess. If you can get on the pre-release list maybe sooner.:D

Got the OPPO BDP-93 3D Bluray Universal Player tonight. For under 500 bucks it is a steal.

Still a couple firmware updates from being 100% complete with all the features fully utilized but wow, the BDP83 was nice, this is even nicer.

I still have 2 BDP-83s and most likely will keep them, I have had zero issues with mine.

The BDP-93 should be available to the public by January 1st would be my guess. If you can get on the pre-release list maybe sooner.:D

I read tonight the new 93's should be available in November...well they better hurry up cuz they've only got a week left.

I counted no less than 6 BDP-83's on AG today...The least expensive one was $399...still too much for my liking for an extinct player. It can't be that much better than my Sony BR.

I read tonight the new 93's should be available in November...well they better hurry up cuz they've only got a week left.

I counted no less than 6 BDP-83's on AG today...The least expensive one was $399...still too much for my liking for an extinct player. It can't be that much better than my Sony BR.

They started selling 93s yesterday, but only to people on the Pre-Release list. I was a beta tester for the 83 so I lucked out and got one. They mentioned a 30 day window, so I suspect that the 93 won't go GA until end of December or January most likely.

As for OPPOs being better than your Sony, it really depends on what feature set you need your OPPO BDP 83 or BDP93 to perform for you. The Sony plays BR discs about the same and that is about it, unless you have one that has been upgraded to play 3D BR discs.

But that is not why people buy OPPOs. People buy OPPO because it is the least expensive and best performing Universal Disc Player out there with more features than any other player in its class or you could now argue any class, because there are few 3D players out there that do anything more than play a BR disc.:D

If you are in to DVD Audio and SACD multi-channel then the BDP-83 is very tough to beat for the money and the base BDP-83 isn't bad, it is just not quite as good as the SE.

Now if you are in to DVDa and SACD as I just mentioned and you are also in to 3D multichannel HD Master Audio and the like, well then there just isn't anything that is close to the 93:D

But that is not why people buy OPPOs. People buy OPPO because it is the least expensive and best performing Universal Disc Player out there with more features than any other player in its class or you could now argue any class, because there are few 3D players out there that do anything more than play a BR disc.:D

If you are in to DVD Audio and SACD multi-channel then the BDP-83 is very tough to beat for the money and the base BDP-83 isn't bad, it is just not quite as good as the SE.

So true!

To wrap up my story regarding my original reason for posting this thread . . . My old Yamaha DVD player had gotten to the point that it wouldn't read any disc you put into it. I didn't feel like wasting $100 on a throw-away DVD player to replace it, and I couldn't wait for the new Oppo (because I have a three year old that wants her Toy Story 3, and wants it NOW, and I sure don't want her hanging out in my media room :eek:), so I did the unthinkable . . .

I took the Yamaha apart, cleaned the laser with a lens cloth, sprayed the heck out of it with compressed air, and put it back together. Now, it works perfectly.

Back