CLX odyssey begins.... now!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Bernard,

To answer your last question first, I'll definitely try out the Olive's internal DAC (which has garnered good reviews)

I'll be very interested in what you think about this. I've been quite pleasantly surprised. To use your term, the "sweetness" is noticeably improved (at least in my system). BTW, is the DAC in the Olive 4 the same as the one in the 6?

is the DAC in the Olive 4 the same as the one in the 6?

Hi Len,

According to Olive's specs, looks like they use the same Burr Brown 1792, but maybe in a different configuration (i.e. dual mono in the HD06).

And yes, I'll definitely share my impressions.

Have a great weekend!

ETA: I actually emailed Dan Wright (of ModWright) and asked if he had considered applying his "Truth Mod" to the Olive. Not surprisingly, this was his response:

"I have not heard the Olive yet, so no, I have not considered it. I don't know how much room there is inside and I also don't know how much market interest there is, overall, in the product. We are quite busy at the moment and I select the units we modify very carefully, as the initial R&D time for the first unit can be extensive."

Last edited:
Humour noted, but just in case it's a serious question: valve is short for thermionic valve. Presumably "therm" from the heater, "ionic" from the ion cloud, and valve as in shut off valve (or tap).
I thought you knew me better! :)

I thought you knew me better! :)

I haven't been visiting here enough recently--something I must try to fix! Alas, there are only so many hours in a day...

PS: Probably not going to make it to SSI this year. Too much other stuff happening, but will try to be there for 2013!

...I'll definitely try out the Olive's internal DAC (which has garnered good reviews))

I presume you've seen this interesting set of reviews...not that The Absolute Sound is the absolute be all / end all, but the link below provides a number of interesting reviews. I had only recently stumbled across this info.

The Olive review appears to me spot on to my own experiences to date.

FWIW...

Last edited:
I presume you've seen this interesting set of reviews...not that The Absolute Sound is the absolute be all / end all, but the link below provides a number of interesting reviews. I had only recently stumbled across this info.

The Olive review appears to me spot on to my own experiences to date.

FWIW...

Hi Len... did I miss the link? I don't see it in your post.

Thanks

Oh crap! Are you going to be one of those finicky people who insist that I actually include a link just because I referenced one?

I usually let it slide... but in this case I really did want to read the review. Thanks for the link :)

PS: Probably not going to make it to SSI this year. Too much other stuff happening, but will try to be there for 2013!
I hope SSI is better this year than it was last year. This year I'll not count on spending more than a couple of hours there. I did, however, like the quantity of software they had on sale last year.

Say hello to my little friend...

Currently pulling the trigger as I type this... and no, that's not a euphemism. Well, wait… I guess it sorta is, but you know what I mean... I hope.

Payment goes out tomorrow, LS100 should land on my doorstep in a week or so. (hopefully not delivered by the UPS/FEDEX drivers who toss TVs over fences).

Ken and Justin - we may need to talk tubes. :)

1310273727.jpg

Bit slow to notice this - congrats! Just don't scar your face with it:D!

Yup just let me know it's very easy for me to post. I just give it to the wife and say "post it!" - and she does the rest using the facilities at work.

I've just replaced some IC between my Air Tight passive and 211 monos with some Furutech cable with Cardas RCAs. Really quite amazed at the improvement in resolution and front to back imaging. Far more gain than I was expecting TBH but I think it must be the long length. Footech make some pretty dodgy stuff like record demags but hey - this stuff sounds nice.

I've been getting really p*ssed off with using Windows 7 on a laptop and a really long USB/coax to my DAC - timing issues that cause clicks and sonic degradation until I reboot. Which I have to do too often.

So last night I routed the HDMI out of the laptop onto the 46 inch LCD TV I have hanging inbetween the Apogees. The optical out from the telly then goes to the DAC. Using Windows Media Centre and and 802.11G wireless keyboard and mouse last night from 15 foot away I really enjoyed it - and no sonic hiccups.

So the next upgrade may be a media centre or Mac Mini since the wife keeps nicking my dedicated music system laptop anyway:D

BTW: this is a blatant plug as I know the guy, but the ICs are these: Reference Fidelity Components

I went for 3.5m of Reference Mercury. The Furutech connectors in the flesh are very nice indeed and I am kind of thinking I should have gone for those. Still a happy punter, though. Recommended.

Bit slow to notice this - congrats! Just don't scar your face with it:D!

Yup just let me know it's very easy for me to post. I just give it to the wife and say "post it!" - and she does the rest using the facilities at work.

I've just replaced some IC between my Air Tight passive and 211 monos with some Furutech cable with Cardas RCAs. Really quite amazed at the improvement in resolution and front to back imaging. Far more gain than I was expecting TBH but I think it must be the long length. Footech make some pretty dodgy stuff like record demags but hey - this stuff sounds nice.

I've been getting really p*ssed off with using Windows 7 on a laptop and a really long USB/coax to my DAC - timing issues that cause clicks and sonic degradation until I reboot. Which I have to do too often.

So last night I routed the HDMI out of the laptop onto the 46 inch LCD TV I have hanging inbetween the Apogees. The optical out from the telly then goes to the DAC. Using Windows Media Centre and and 802.11G wireless keyboard and mouse last night from 15 foot away I really enjoyed it - and no sonic hiccups.

So the next upgrade may be a media centre or Mac Mini since the wife keeps nicking my dedicated music system laptop anyway:D

Thanks Justin... just PM me on what you'd like for the tube - and is paypal an option?

Sounds like you're having all kinds of hook-up fun lately. Glad to hear the new ICs are interconnecting things even better than the previous.

Thanks Justin... just PM me on what you'd like for the tube - and is paypal an option?

Sounds like you're having all kinds of hook-up fun lately. Glad to hear the new ICs are interconnecting things even better than the previous.

Yup will do tomoz. I used to hate Media Centre. But using it on a big(ish) telly is what it was designed for and tis good that way if rather non-audiophile if you catch my drift.

I went for 3.5m of Reference Mercury. The Furutech connectors in the flesh are very nice indeed and I am kind of thinking I should have gone for those. Still a happy punter, though. Recommended.
Justin, in what way are the Furutech better than the Cardas? I have all Cardas cabling in my system, and find the connectors very well made.

Beyond the description on the website, and the fact I have seen them in the flesh and they look "nicer" than the Cardas, who knows. There may/may not be an audible difference. I wouldn't like to say until I actually tried them. They cost more per set than the Furutech cable does.

The Cardas ones are pretty nicely made, though.:)

Back