CLX odyssey begins.... now!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tsv_1

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

For some inexplicable reason, I have been given the green light by the Mrs to procure a spanking new pair of CLX Art (Maple flavored). It's basically an early (and the only) Christmas present I'll be getting this year. I feel almost light-headed about it, really. I placed the order today and am told it'll be about 2 to 3 weeks before they arrive. I've already put my 2009 Summit-X up on Audiogon for sale (rating 9/10 for age only, otherwise in perfect condition). I'll miss the X-factor, but I view it as one hell of an incredible stepping stone to get to the CLX. I will keep you all posted on the progress. I plan to snap some photos of their arrival and subsequent setup to share as well. Then of course comes initial impressions and follow-on commentary as they burn-in over the first several hundred hours. I'm opting to forego SW augmentation initially to get a true sense of what the CLX by themselevs are really all about. However, since I love acoustic bass, organ, and other such instrumentation that tend to vibrate my man-parts, I figure a SW is out there somewhere in the not too distant future. So, with that, I bid you each a fine evening and will update this thread once the magic begins.

Cheers,

TSV_1

Hey Congrats, let's just hope the Mrs. doesn't change her mind.:D

And people wonder why I got CLXs in to the man cave and never told my wife about it.:eek:

You are embarking on an experience that will most likely change your audiophile life. The CLXs are that good.

As for adding a SW, that gives you something else to aspire too.

Make sure during that journey that you try both the Descent i with CLX card enabled and don't forget to experience the JL Audio Gotham. The Gotham and CLX work together like no other SW I have heard.:rocker:

Hey Congrats, let's just hope the Mrs. doesn't change her mind.:D

And people wonder why I got CLXs in to the man cave and never told my wife about it.:eek:

You are embarking on an experience that will most likely change your audiophile life. The CLXs are that good.

As for adding a SW, that gives you something else to aspire too.

Make sure during that journey that you try both the Descent i with CLX card enabled and don't forget to experience the JL Audio Gotham. The Gotham and CLX work together like no other SW I have heard.:rocker:

Thanks soon-to-be-brother-CLX-worshiper :D

I wasn't kidding when I said I was feeling a tad light-headed. I am THAT psyched about this purchase. Yes, the JL audio subs are first on my list to try with the CLX in the event my plan to seriously eval the CLX (sans sw) fails miserably and I find myself surfing Agon within a week. Seriously though, I'm told that the CLX panels do need some solid play time before they reach the right level of excursion/balance with the musical signal... i.e. improved bass and geneal room aclimation. Would you agree? Given your uber-experience with CLX, any other pointers you can share would be wildly appreciated. Note that mine will only be going into my 2-channel setup. I've submitted a separate post that includes my dedicated HT setup... awaiting overlord authorization for that one to post.

Cheers and thanks for the note!

:

I waited until my CLX's were already on a truck heading my way before I told my wife. She went out and bought a new Rolex. The poor economy is not my fault.

Be sure to give us your impressions when they are in.

Regards
Gary

Congratulations on the CLX's. Best speakers I have ever owned. Works great with the JL subs.

The importance of visualization

just trying to gauge how these puppies are going to sit in the room.... hmmmmm... decent match aesthetically, although some window view encroachment (good thing they're see-thru). Next step, create full-size replicas? Or just sit on my hands for two weeks and wait for the real deal. Obsessive much?

Attachments

• clx 001.jpg
    clx 001.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 1,821
Last edited:
Now THAT'S funny! Can't blame you though...

Just noticed the collection of spirits off to the right. Scotch drinker?

Now THAT'S funny! Can't blame you though...

Just noticed the collection of spirits off to the right. Scotch drinker?

Hey MiTT,

My dad enjoyed the occasional Dewar's. Me, not so much. You?

I do appreciate a well crafted wheat beer though. This one is amazing! :cheers:

Attachments

• ayinger.jpg
    ayinger.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 1,813
just trying to gauge how these puppies are going to sit in the room.... hmmmmm... decent match aesthetically, although some window view encroachment (good thing they're see-thru). Next step, create full-size replicas? Or just sit on my hands for two weeks and wait for the real deal. Obsessive much?

I used blue tape to see if mine would fit in my room. It is important to get it right, when you spend your hard earned dollars.

Hi Todd,

Glad to see someone else appreciates MS products. As an aside, I'm going to Baltimore this X-Mas and hope to arrange a meeting with Mr. Sprey at his recording studio.

Good luck with the new kids.

GG

CLX bass is not really bad by themselves. However, there is a tweak for CLX bass in the tweaks section.:D

Hi Todd,

Glad to see someone else appreciates MS products. As an aside, I'm going to Baltimore this X-Mas and hope to arrange a meeting with Mr. Sprey at his recording studio.

Good luck with the new kids.

GG

Hi Gordon,

Please keep us posted in the event you are successful in meeting up with Mr. S. That's very cool indeed. And yes, I went Mapleshade about a year ago and have never looked back. Easily the best "passive upgrade" I've ever invested in.

BTW, your system may be one of the most stress-free zones I've seen on this site. The veiws (interior and exterior) are stellar! Any possibility of CLX coming home for an extended stay?

I used blue tape to see if mine would fit in my room. It is important to get it right, when you spend your hard earned dollars.

Hey Ron,

Blue tape is a good idea. Thanks. I'm fortunate in that I have a reasonable amount of space to play with positioning once the eagles have landed. And lot's of playing there shall be.

CLX bass is not really bad by themselves. However, there is a tweak for CLX bass in the tweaks section.:D

This is the tweak where you place some granite on the CLX base enclosure, yes? Love the concept... I'm a big proponent of "loading" components. Most of the active devices in my 2-channel setup sport strategically positioned brass weights. Some claim they hear no difference, but I'm convinced the weights tighten up the sound and lower the noise floor by mitigating micro-vibrations in the component chassis. I'll be putting some thought-cycles into just how to go about loading the CLXs. I've already googled "brass plates" and a number of other iterations, but more homework to come. I like the granite concept too. Will definitely be reporting back on any experimentation in this area.

Cheers

Todd,

I loved the picture cut out of the clx's you held up and took a picture off.That made my week. I showed my wife, and she said ( You guy's are obsessive) How true

Cheers, Greg

Last edited:
Todd,

I loved the picture cut out of the clx's you held up and took a picture off.That made my week. I showed my wife, and she said ( You guy's are obsessive) How true

Cheers, Greg

Thanks Greg... glad you enjoyed it. Of all the possible vices out there, I can think of much worse things to be obsessive about ;)

Back