The Fifth Element (Superbit) (DTS)

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robin

Reaction score
Title: The Fifth Element (Superbit) (DTS)
Year of Release: 1997
Film Studio: Columbia Tristar Home Entertainment
Genre: Si-Fi / Comedy / Action Adventure

The Fifth Element, is a futuristic journey, from the past into the future. From the first scenes showing the scientist yelling, "Azees Light!", with the Luke Perry character keeping a tally of how many times, the statement, is yelled, we are drawn into this charismatic, Si-Fi / Comedy / Adventure. Personally, I thought the fact that, this film really doesn't take it self too seriously, played very well with me. Bruce Willis, does his expected, "action hero", role with a positive, tongue-in-cheek, twinkle-in-the-eye flare, which he pulls off in great comic style. IMHO, this film is one of Bruce Willis's best films. Kudos to, Ian Holm, he is just fantastic, as the bumbling priest and would-be protector of, the fifth element - "Lee Lu" portrayed beautifully by, Milla Jovovich. Ms. Jovocich performance is intense and yet vulnerable. She is challenged to show all the emotions during this film and she does so with marvelous style and grace. IMHO, this is also one of her best films.

This film, for me, has become, over the last year or so, one of my favorite sound and visual films. The reason why is that from the opening credits the DTS sound just blows you away. It is so rich in sound and color... Totally awesome, Si-Fi sounds i. e., erie deep bass, intermixed with high pitched pings, as the whole movie screen revolves around slowly... It is just fantastic! I use this movie to, "Wow", my friends and relative on how great my Martin Logan HT system sounds, and they are always very impressed. I use the scenes with the "Diva" and her beautiful "Aria", which cascades through all of my ML electrostatic panels. Her crisp clear female voice rings so clear and pure through ML speakers a true high point of this glorious film ;)

I would definitely say that the, "Fifth Element" is sonically up to the task. When this film finally comes out on, 'Blue-Ray', High Def., I'll be the first in-line to purchase it, yet again, another up-graded copy, for my DVD collection.

But, for now, I highly recommend this highly entertaining, excellently crafted, escapist, Si-Fi / Comedy / Action Adventure film.

:D HT relaxed, comfortably surrounded in ML bliss, until next time, let the movies turn you on...

-Robin

Attachments

• B00005NRNA.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
    B00005NRNA.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 1,075
Last edited:
I have this as well. The DTS soundtrack is astounding. Of course superbit video looks superb as well considering it's the best of the best at present time. I would highly recommend that this DVD be played on a hi-def conversion dvd player. At 1080i you'll swear you can reach out and touch things on the screen. :D

Hi-def Conversion DVD player...

Dolfin said:
I have this as well. The DTS soundtrack is astounding. Of course superbit video looks superb as well considering it's the best of the best at present time. I would highly recommend that this DVD be played on a hi-def conversion dvd player. At 1080i you'll swear you can reach out and touch things on the screen. :D

Ryan,

I agree, I have a 'Momitzu', Hi-def conversion DVD player, set to 1080i. Your quite right, "The Fifth Element" (Superbit), looks stunning... :D I can hardly wait for this particular film to be transfered to Blue-ray Hi-def DVD. Joe says, Hi-def players and DVD's, should be coming out in the spring or fall of 2006... :D

Cheers

-Robin

Recommended Recordings DVD

Robin: Good evening. Again you have chosen a great disc. But can't we add that one of the best scenes and sounds is with the Diva? I use it as a demo when friends come over and love to see them starry eyed at the screen. Great addition to the list. Keep up the fine work and wonderful posts and personal insights you have added to this clubs threads.

audioraptured said:
Robin: Good evening. Again you have chosen a great disc. But can't we add that one of the best scenes and sounds is with the Diva? I use it as a demo when friends come over and love to see them starry eyed at the screen. Great addition to the list. Keep up the fine work and wonderful posts and personal insights you have added to this clubs threads.

I think that I've mentioned this before, but I saw a report about the making of the movie that said that they had originally sought out opera singers for the part. They expected to have to synthesize or tweak some of the vocals because of the range and because they wanted that unearthly sound. It turns out that the singer that they eventually used was capable of, and actually sang that whole part unaltered.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fifth_Element#Music

Anecdote: The singer doing the vocals, Inva Mula-Tchako, is not the actress playing the part in the movie.

Diva's Beautiful Aria....

audioraptured said:
audioraptured,

I totally agree. I edited my original post to include the scenes with the Diva and her wonderful Aria. Thank you for your fine insights.

The New Blue-Ray Version...

This is one of my all time favorite fun Si-Fic films. This Blue-Ray version was disappointing. I think the studio should have remastered the original print before transfering it to Blue-Ray disc. The video picture quality looks grainy. The film looks old and scratchy. The sound is good but I think again, it could have been much better, if this film had just been remastered in HD-True or Dolby-HD.

My recommendation ~ Save your money and wait for this great Si-Fic film to be re-mastered with better video / audio qualities before re-purchasing it again, on Blue-Ray, which unfortunately, I wasted my money in doing... :eek:

Attachments

• The Fifth Element.jpg
    The Fifth Element.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 939
Last edited:
Replying to an old post so don't know if the Previous poster got the "then" free upgraded remaster they made to fix the original Blu-Ray. In addition to fixing some video elements they added a Dolby TrueHD soundtrack. The original uncompressed audio actually was excellent, and is still available on the remastered disk.

The upgraded blu-ray is really excellent. It just shows that if a little time and care is taken by the studios, audio/video quality can be excellent.

Upgraded Blu-ray...

I had up graded to the new remastered Blu-ray as this is a favorite film of mine, and was I glad I did. The new remastered Blu-ray has the quality and clarity this film should have. No more grain or scratchiness.

Back