Please help me un-do Monolith woofer mod.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossH

Reaction score
Hi, all. I'm new here although I've owned 2 M-L speaker systems in the past.
I have a pair of Monoliths (first version) here that I've been asked to re-foam the woofers on. Taking the woofers out, I found a huge amount of Dacron batting in the woofer cavity. This seems wrong for a ported cabinet woofer. I think someone in the past stuffed these to change the alignment. I want to make sure how they're supposed to be before I put them back together.
The woofer is MLX3600, a nice beefy unit that I'm assuming is stock, as it's date-stamped 1989. Re-foaming these will be easy.
Any help someone could supply would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

I don't know about the Monolith. In general, there's a similar benefit to stuffing a ported woofer cabinet as there is for a sealed. About 50% stuffing is a good starting point. Avoid the port.

Don't know for sure, but I think its meant to be there, even if the cabinet is ported. If it was a true line transmission cabinet (think Bose or Sanders [design only here]) there wouldn't be, or only batting in particular locations along the line transmission path.
See if the batting was in a specific location in the cabinet, such as the horizontal surfaCes or so. Different speakers have diferent ways of adding attenuation materials. For instance,my VMPS subs (w/passive radiator)had a considerable amount of F/glass batting on all interior surfaces, loosley fitted. I added more. My Velodyne sub (w/pass radiator)had only poly batting on 3 interior sides loosly fitted. I added more. And my cheapo MTX sub (ported) had none. I added some.
I'd keep it in there, and of course, if it were mine, . . .

The batting has to do with effective volume of the cabinet, _do_not_ add or remove anything unless you know exactly what you are doing.

hmmm. lots of ported subwoofer designs are stuffed with batting. increases the effective size of the box.

I would advise him against removing Dacron batting. He should allow 50% of it to remain in the woofer cavity. Removing it completely will affect the sound quality. I think the better way however is to seek professional help to solve the issue. They will be able to direct him as to what is to be done.

Back