Please help me un-do Monolith woofer mod.

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossH

Reaction score
Hi, all. I'm new here although I've owned 2 M-L speaker systems in the past.
I have a pair of Monoliths (first version) here that I've been asked to re-foam the woofers on. Taking the woofers out, I found a huge amount of Dacron batting in the woofer cavity. This seems wrong for a ported cabinet woofer. I think someone in the past stuffed these to change the alignment. I want to make sure how they're supposed to be before I put them back together.
The woofer is MLX3600, a nice beefy unit that I'm assuming is stock, as it's date-stamped 1989. Re-foaming these will be easy.
Any help someone could supply would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

I don't know about the Monolith. In general, there's a similar benefit to stuffing a ported woofer cabinet as there is for a sealed. About 50% stuffing is a good starting point. Avoid the port.

Don't know for sure, but I think its meant to be there, even if the cabinet is ported. If it was a true line transmission cabinet (think Bose or Sanders [design only here]) there wouldn't be, or only batting in particular locations along the line transmission path.
See if the batting was in a specific location in the cabinet, such as the horizontal surfaCes or so. Different speakers have diferent ways of adding attenuation materials. For instance,my VMPS subs (w/passive radiator)had a considerable amount of F/glass batting on all interior surfaces, loosley fitted. I added more. My Velodyne sub (w/pass radiator)had only poly batting on 3 interior sides loosly fitted. I added more. And my cheapo MTX sub (ported) had none. I added some.
I'd keep it in there, and of course, if it were mine, . . .

The batting has to do with effective volume of the cabinet, _do_not_ add or remove anything unless you know exactly what you are doing.

hmmm. lots of ported subwoofer designs are stuffed with batting. increases the effective size of the box.

I would advise him against removing Dacron batting. He should allow 50% of it to remain in the woofer cavity. Removing it completely will affect the sound quality. I think the better way however is to seek professional help to solve the issue. They will be able to direct him as to what is to be done.

Latest posts

Back