Almost an ML owner!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wildcat Rudy

Reaction score
I bought a relatively inexpensive pair of Sequel IIs in another state that are now sitting in a friend's storage unit until I can get a chance to pick them up. Apparently the woofer is dead on one side, and a panel on the other...but I have a suspicion as to what the very simple issue might be. (Binding straps, anyone? ;) )

Anyway, just wanted to check in here first before posting my idea about cleaning the II's panels. I've always wanted a pair of MLs since the first time I heard the CLS-II at my favorite audio dealer back in late '87 or so. Can't wait until I can get my Sequel IIs here. But having just moved and shelling out for all the deposits and payments, it's going to be a couple of months yet.

Hola! :banana:

Congradulations and keep us posted when things are up and running.Do you have components now to hook up to them?

Cheers, Greg

Congradulations and keep us posted when things are up and running.Do you have components now to hook up to them?

Cheers, Greg

OK on components. Mostly Carver/Hafler in amps and preamps, and play a lot of high-res (SACD, DVD-A), and of course the "rekkids." :D

The problem is, I've moved for the fourth time in three years, and a lot of my "stuff" is still in boxes. We finally have a nice sized family room so I can make use of the MLs. I currently have a pair of "Frankenstein" Boston A150s that I've modified a bit, along with two vented systems by way of a now-defunct company named Grafyx. (Dates back to late 70s/early 80s.)

Aside from the upgrade to the MLs, I want to get a "less expensive" (OK, cheap :D ) outboard D/A converter for CD playback on my DV-45A. I've thought of having the DV-45A modded, but it would cost more than the player cost me, and many of them only do two channel, and I am too hooked on my surround discs... ;)

Quick update: the amp I was planning on using has developed a buzz in both channels. As it is probably around 20 years old, the capacitors are likely near the end of their life. (That's about all you can get out of electrolytic caps.)

As luck would have it, I can either replace the capacitors with direct equivalents, or do what they are calling a "Mk. II" upgrade for the amp. It bumps the power from around 250w/ch to 395w/ch. That is not a big deal itself, but the upgrade significantly beefs up the current delivery into low impedance loads. What is happening in the amp is that we are replacing quite a few components (mainly capacitors, diodes and transistors) with higher-voltage equivalents, then raising the rail voltage. The magnetic field coil (aka transformer) handles the increase easily. It does not affect other circuitry, so the voicing of the amp does not change. It does, however, create a deeper/wider image, and sounds more solid.

I'm still trying to source all the components, but I'm really excited to have a new project to work on. When I finally get those Sequels here, I'll be anxious to put them through their paces.

So it's only been three years since I've checked in here!

I finally got to pick these Sequel IIs up from Connecticut, but they seem to be in worse shape than I had thought. I'm not sure if it's how they were stored, or what the deal was, but I'm not even sure I want to attempt working on these anymore. One of the panels was taken completely off and, to my eye, the edge of it looks slightly warped. (Not sure if that is normal.) The Nextel coating also does not clean up easily--there is a very fine dust on it, and I think I need to wash it down with something vs. trying to clean it using any sort of dry method. They are in the garage for a few days until I can clean them up and get them indoors. In short, they are more of a mess than I was led to believe.

Electrically as of yet, not a clue. When I originally got these, supposedly only the woofer worked on one side, and only the panel on the other side. I had thought maybe the straps between the terminals were missing but, no, they are intact.

I am going to be posting a pictorial step-by-step journey on a site of mine, and will post the links here as I attempt to work on them. I will not go far, though--if these look too far gone, I'll sell them for parts and move on. I will see how it goes when I get into them more.

I might have a moderator rename this thread as a DIY overhaul thread, or...maybe start another?

Cosmetically is where I'll start. The wood strips look good, although I may want to sand them down and redo them as a darker color. The Nextel coating, though, is not perfect. I am wondering if anyone sells this. I would probably get the darkest grey they offer and recoat them myself.

As for redoing the panels themselves, that will wait until I can actually get them functioning. And I still need to locate a schematic so I can trace through everything to see why the various pieces might not be working.

I had a few hours to do an initial evaluation of the problems. Aside from dirt and dust, of course. Here is what I've found:

1) Naturally, any of the double-sided sticky foam and velcro is shot. It all needs to be replaced.

2) Dead bass on one side. Turns out the woofer itself is bad--no continuity across the terminals. So, it needs a replacement. (I may try to find a used one of similar vintage--the whole idea of doing this as a "bargain" means I won't be purchasing any new parts from M-L.) On this side, the panel and woofer grille had both been removed, along with the side rails.

3) Dead panel on the other side. On this one, the stat panel had slid down behind the woofer grille. You can probably guess what happened. All three wires to the panel are sheared off. I can reattach the outer two wires, but the inner one...I am afraid I may have to take the panel apart. (And if that is the case, I will do the recoating of the mylar, and do it on both sides.) Unless there is another fix I can do in the meantime--I'm all ears.

Both power supplies appear to be OK. They appear to be fairly robust.

Latest posts

Back