Need advise on which ML subwoofer

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfrizzzz

Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I've had ML Odessey front speakers for about 10 years now as the center piece of my home theater/listening room, as well as a ML center speaker and Aerius towers in the rear. But I've been using a PSB subwoofer. I plan on upgrading my processer soon from a Lexicon MC-1 to a Classe SSP 800 and I also want to get a ML Sub. But I'm stumped on which current sub would best match the system. Or should I look for an older one? My room is fairly large, about 30 feet by 24 feet in my basement. Please give me any thoughts on which sub I should get and also any thoughts on how my ML speaker set up will work with the Classe SSP 800. Thanks.

In a room your size, I would definately use 2 subwoofers.Members here also use JL Audio subs as well, great subs. There isn't much difference between the depth and depth i, just an increase of 50 watts and controls on the top.

The descent i however had a big wattage increase. There are some subwoofer threads on this site if you do a search, there is a lot of imformation.

Cheers, Greg

Thanks, i'll check them out. I take it that you are happy with the match of ur Depth with the Odesseys?

The Depth is really quite a good speaker and shouldn't be overlooked. Also, in a music only relatively modest system the Grotto is hard to beat.

u need decent i , depth will not be enough in such a big room . for my own experience ,jl price was quite high , u can try a combo with mk + svs . nomatter high -bass and low bass was very strong . but if u likes detail of bass ,then martin logan or thiel subwoofer will be your choice .

The depth mated perfectly with the Odyssey's when placed directly in the middle between the speakers. It was a seamless intragation. I sold it however to help fund another aspect of the system.

I miss it for both for both music and movies and fully intend at some point to get 2 depth i's or persue the JL audio subs.

Having a sub with 2 channel really adds to the musical experience. It kind of makes the soundstage bloom and provides a good foundation. Once you hear it, it's hard to live without it.

Cheers, Greg

Last edited:
If you were satisfied with the Depth, then I would say get one or two Depth's. I think they are fine subwoofers for music. I also think with more modest equipment, the Grotto would be a fine selection.

If you prefer to spend more money and perhaps get better performance, the JL 112/113 or the Descent may be good options. There are many more subs out there but from what I hear these match best with ML speakers.

I think that many people buy more subwoofer than they really need for music. The criteria should (INMHO) be a seamless blend, match to mains and realism. Not bombast unless the music calls for it.

Since there is nothing "real" about the sound of movies, buy the sub that suits your taste and doesn't run out of steam when the sound track calls for it.

I think that many people buy more subwoofer than they really need for music. The criteria should (INMHO) be a seamless blend, match to mains and realism. Not bombast unless the music calls for it.
For a seamless blend for music, the JL Audio F110 is very nice. I would describe the JL Audio subs as very accurate without much overhang. I also have a ML Grotto sub but there really isn't much comparison here as the JL Audio F110 is quite a step up.
JMHO.
Jim

Hello,
I am using a single Depth in my 5.1 setup and could not be more pleased. When I first saw the Depth, I thought it would be far too small. However, in a decent sized Room, the Depth has been truly one of the most pleasant surprises ever.
Cheers,
JJ

For a seamless blend for music, the JL Audio F110 is very nice. I would describe the JL Audio subs as very accurate without much overhang. I also have a ML Grotto sub but there really isn't much comparison here as the JL Audio F110 is quite a step up.
JMHO.
Jim

Thanks for the comparison.

Hey guys, Thanks very much for the advice...I'm going to check out some of these options mentioned here....I really appreciate it.

Well. I visited a friend and he had TBI subwoofers with his CLS'. They were a great match. They are extremely musical but not great for HT installations. I think that I have found my subwoofer to match the Magnepan 1.7.

I rescently added two ML Depths to my current setup with Martin Logan Aeon and they gave me what I was searching for. The Aeons are fantastisc except that they can't deliver bass under let's say 40Hz. The Depths are flat below 20Hz in my room without any Equing. By adding two connected in stero I have been ablt to get a very flat response in my listening position. From 15Hz-250Hz there is no more variation than +/-3dB which is really good.

I have tested with other (cheaper and larger) subs in the same room and the difference is remarkable. Earlier it was more of a one note bass and not as extended below 30Hz but now the sound is really clear and the bass sounds really impressing through the whole range. The only problem right now is that the Aeons doesn't really matchup when it comes to output. When they are starting to struggle the depths is still warming up. :)

Maybe a more powerful amplifier to the Aeons will improve this?

ML/subs

I have two ML depth's hooked up in stereo and a grotto for LFE duties and they sound great with my Summits. My processor is a Lexicon MC12 which allows stereo subs and LFE hook ups.

The only problem right now is that the Aeons doesn't really matchup when it comes to output. When they are starting to struggle the depths is still warming up. :)

Maybe a more powerful amplifier to the Aeons will improve this?

Interesting observation. May i ask what amp you are using? I am curious as i have the same speakers.

Does your processor control the sub output? Perhaps it needs to be turned down a few notches to come in line with the speakers, or perhaps you may want to turn down the volume on the sub to help balance.

But you likely already thought of all this.

I have a pair of SL3s and am considering two Grotto I's for my system. Any thoughts? My main focus is music and clarity of the bass below 30. THX is secondary. I have an open floor plan and often listen to music while working around the house. The SL3s rock, but could use a boost at the lower end. The room is approx25x15 but again opens to the other parts of the first floor.

Back