RMAF 2010 Show Report

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Edge and Avalon

I've always thought that if I were to get a set of dynamic speakers, the Avalon Indra's would be high on my list. I've listened to them at least a dozen times now and continue to be impressed. Nearly electrostatic like air and imaging, but with a body and weight that I just don't get out of my CLS's. I've never really listened much to the Edge electronics, but in this room they seemed to simply get out of the way and let the Indra's sing. Music was Ahmad Jamahl live in Paris. I could have stayed in this room a very long time!

Append: I had a long talk with the guy who designs all the Edge stuff. The pre-amp in the photo was running off the grid in DC (battery) mode. When he switched it to AC it was a huge disappointment. Great sounding room playing great music, I'd like to go back and I don't care what Justin says, the Indra's really float my boat!

Attachments

• aval01.jpg
    aval01.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 2,251
  • aval02.jpg
    aval02.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 2,211
  • aval03.jpg
    aval03.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 2,218
Last edited:
Naim

So I pull out the iPad to type in something on the Naim room and it automatically detected Naim's locked wireless network, and that's kind of the story here. They were demonstrating their new streaming audio player. This is really the first time I've heard a Naim system, and they very much are systems from what I'm told. Their approach is one of very close component matching and system synergy. The sound reminded me of a similar company approach from Linn, although a bit more dynamic. Nice!

Append: Naim had a second room featuring smaller, less expensive gear (last photo) featuring the same approach. One of the biggest trends I've noticed this year is that EVERYBODY is getting into music servers and streaming audio.

Attachments

• naim01.jpg
    naim01.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 2,191
  • naim02.jpg
    naim02.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 2,215
  • naim03.jpg
    naim03.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 2,249
Last edited:
Brystom and PMC

Bryston was similarly demonstrating their electronics via their USB equipped streaming music player. It has 2 USB connections on the front and another 2 on the back that can accept memory sticks, USB drives, you name it. The guy next to me was controlling the system via Bryston's own iPad app. The sound on an eclectic mix of music through the PMC monitors and the Bryston monoblocks was well controlled and very tuneful.

Attachments

• bry01.jpg
    bry01.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 2,204
  • bry02.jpg
    bry02.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 2,234
Last edited:
Sanders

The Sanders Model 10C speakers sounded incredibly dynamic in their diagonally set up room. I was able to listen to an assortment of Patricia Barber, Willie Nelson and Stevie Ray Vaughn. It's pretty stunning how dynamic the Sanders speakers are, and I'm sure that their being paired with Sanders own electronics didn't hurt. Not really much to look at, but then again, we don't buy this stuff to stare at it.

Append: Roger Sanders was as always a good guy to talk to and he wanted to make sure I knew that the 10C's come equipped with digital crossovers and that at their $13K asking price he includes one of his ESL specific amplifiers. He and I talked until well after the "official" show had ended.

Attachments

• sand01.jpg
    sand01.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 2,231
  • sand02.jpg
    sand02.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 2,236
Last edited:
High Water Sound

I hit these guys after the official show had ended, but High Water Sound was displaying their usual assortment of yummy gear from the likes of TW Acoustics and Tron. Must go back when the system is up and running tomorrow.

Attachments

• hw01.jpg
    hw01.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 2,260
  • hw02.jpg
    hw02.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 2,211
  • hw03.jpg
    hw03.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 2,261
  • hw04.jpg
    hw04.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 2,241
  • hw05.jpg
    hw05.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 2,213
Tidal

Another one that I caught static because it was so late in the day was Tidal. I've heard good things about their speakers, but haven't had the chance to listen to them. What I didn't know was they they make some great looking electronics too. The guy in the room made me promise to come back, saying I wouldn't be disappointed in their sound.

Attachments

• tid01.jpg
    tid01.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 2,271
  • tid02.jpg
    tid02.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 2,285
  • tid03.jpg
    tid03.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 2,267
Roger enjoyed his time with you tonight; and you're right, you guys hung out well after the show ended. It "sounded" (pun intended) like you enjoyed the visit as well. Thanks for coming by!

Cheers,
Angela

Sweet Music

As I was walking out I was able to catch the end of Robert Silverman's live performance in the lobby. As good as all the gear sounded today, it can't of course capture the real deal.

Can't wait for tomorrow!

Attachments

• sil01.jpg
    sil01.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 2,817
Roger enjoyed his time with you tonight; and you're right, you guys hung out well after the show ended. It "sounded" (pun intended) like you enjoyed the visit as well. Thanks for coming by!

Cheers,
Angela

What's funny is that I asked Roger if you were there Angela - was hoping to meet you. He's a great guy to talk to and very passionate about what he's doing. It shows, not only in the gear, but also in the man and what he represents. The room did sound very, very good too!

Writing impressions down as you're there is a good idea, Tim. Keep it up and looking forward to the pics.

Thanks Justin. Figured as I was taking notes anyway I may as well do it dynamically. For all I know we may be the first site on the net to be posting the show, more or less in real time. Wish I could post the pictures right away too, but I'm technically challenged that way. Hope it's not too disconcerting waiting for the photos...

They're playing a female jazz vocalist with nothing but an upright bass and some percussion backing her doing a cover of "Blackbird" and it sounds simply awesome. Very successful. Just found out the artist was Renee Marie from her "Vertigo" release on the MaxJazz label

Here is a taste for you

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/anVfmBok0YY?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/anVfmBok0YY?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

PS Audio and Genesis

PS Audio was showing their Perfect Wave DAC and Transport with Genesis speakers this year. I'm not familiar with which model of the Genesis speaker, but the sound was very nice indeed with extension at both ends of the spectrum.

Append: the perfect Wave DAC had the new Bridge card instaled and they were streaming wireless audio from a PC on the other side of the room

Attachments

• ps01.jpg
    ps01.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 2,483
  • ps02.jpg
    ps02.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 2,550
  • ps03.jpg
    ps03.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 2,853
Last edited:
Audio Valve and JBL

The Audio Valve Assistant 50 integrated amp ($6500.00) looked and sounded gorgeous driving the JBL 1400 ($11,500.00) Array. Peter Gabriel's "Mercy Street" sounded great.

Attachments

• jbl01.jpg
    jbl01.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 2,654
  • jbl02.jpg
    jbl02.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 2,624
  • jbl03.jpg
    jbl03.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 2,869
Last edited:
Tri and Acoustic Zen

This is a company that I've watched with interest every year. The products seem to sound better and better, and build quality likewise seems to improve all the time. I'd say it appears on par with Luxman and Air Tight, and that' not faint praise. Rosanne Cash singing "Bells and Roses" through the Acoustic Zen speakers was quite enjoyable indeed.

Append: Tri is a Japanese company. The TRX-PL6 amplifier pictured runs $3000.00 as does the TRX-1 pre amp. The TRV-CD4SE they were using as a source runs $2200.00.

Attachments

• tri01.jpg
    tri01.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 2,484
  • tri02.jpg
    tri02.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 2,550
  • tri03.jpg
    tri03.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 2,475
Last edited:
Waterfall and Cary

First time I've seen or heard the Waterfall speakers outside of their print ads. I thought they might sound too bright with all that glass and all, but instead I was impressed with how warm and full sounding they were on a Lyle Lovett cut. The Cary electronics did the job as well. Very enjoyable sound in this room. The big Waterfall towers cost $54K.

Append: Sorry for the crappy picture of the Waterfall speakers. Glass is harder to photograph than you might think, which is too bad because they really did look good.

Attachments

• cary01.jpg
    cary01.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 3,057
  • cary02.jpg
    cary02.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 2,514
Last edited:
Back