Summit X light question

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psychoacoustic

Reaction score
What color are the lights on the Summit X? {I see the M is blue but what of the others}

Can they be replaced to other colors?

Thanks Much

Dear Psycho,

With all due respect, what is the purpose of your question?

And yes, on the Summit, the lights are blue and I assume the same is true for the "X".

GG

Last edited:
I had the original Summits and now have the Summit X's.

* Well worth the higher price for sound improvements

The new lighting feature is interesting but the white light is not suitable or effective as a "ground effect". {with all due respect and in my opinion for my system only}

Imagine placing a dimmable, white christmas bulb underneath your summits...

I guess I could just leave the feature off, apply toward the rare need to help light the adjustment settings or.... seek improvement options?

At this price point, some flexibility with the new lighting design would add value. i.e We choose/pay for veneer, rail finish etc but... only have 1 choice to have multiple white bulbs?

The ground effect concept adds value but simply put.... seeking a blue effect option for the ~$14K price tag seemed reasonable

* Additionally, the blue light beneath the M symbol matches the lighting of my Perreaux Mono Block 750 Prismas, SM6 MkII etc

So, the reason for asking the question is explained?

and now.... back to the question:

Does anyone know if the new lighting scheme for the Summit X has flexibility to be changed, can I purchase different bulbs or is this feature limited by circuit design

Thank you :music:

I THINK. Think. I saw something about changing lighting effects somewhere on the ML site. I remember being told that if I bought a pair (reputable dealer), I could get blue all over.

I had the original Summits and now have the Summit X's.

That's odd. If you now have the Summit X's, why would you ask: "What color are the lights on the Summit X? {I see the M is blue but what of the others}."

In answer to your question, it would seem quite reasonable that you could switch out another bulb to get a different color light. Or you could probably diy some kind of colored gel filter over it to get a different color of light. Why not call or email ML to get a definitive answer to your question?

Thanks Robert - I was hoping someone had heard the same thing { If everything works out well - I will be able to track down a replacement bulb set or c-board and post it here as an option for those interested}

This started via the photos on the ML site under the control panel and ground effects lighting page being overly enhanced. It shows a very visible ~2ft blue hue but the only blue I have is via a single 1 inch 'M' on the top directing very little light straight up . Kind of made me wonder what the color was supposed to be on the other sets. {or if this was an order option I missed - if others had responded they had a different color scheme}

Rich - for consideration: "Kind of Odd" is.... I am asked to explain the purpose of my question to elicit a "I dont know - contact ML etc...."

This kind of defeats the purpose of friendly networking within the group?

But thanks anyways.

There are 4 colors available. Blue (stock), red, white, green, all available at no charge on the initial order. changing them after the fact will probably can be done reasonably easy, but that will take a call to Melodie in service. Also, the rotary switch in the back can be used to create any mix of lights from the top, back and bottom so you may consider it ML mood lighting. Fun at parties whatching the lights on bottom pulse as well. All off is an option as well.

Rich - for consideration: "Kind of Odd" is.... I am asked to explain the purpose of my question to elicit a "I dont know - contact ML etc...."

Perhaps if you had explained a little more up front, Gordon and I would not have been so perplexed by your question. Sometimes putting a little more explanation as to why you are asking a question helps others who are reading to understand it.

This kind of defeats the purpose of friendly networking within the group?

Perhaps. But sometimes when you have a very specific question to a particular model, it helps to just shoot an email or phone call to ML and you get a much more timely and accurate answer to your question, instead of a lot of speculation.

But regarding that "friendly networking," I was curious about your remark that the Summit X improvements were "well worth the higher price" for the sound improvements. Are you saying that the sound improvements are well worth the $4,000 difference in price between the original Summit and the current price of the Summit X? Or are you saying that it is well worth the price of the upgrade from the Summit to the Summit X (which, given the used price of Summits, is about a $9,000 upgrade cost)?

Surely you mean the former. I have a hard time imagining that a simple crossover tweak, producing slightly better blending between woofer and panel, is going to produce a big enough difference in sound to be worth the $9,000 upgrade cost. The Summit sounds pretty darn good. I haven't heard the Summit X, but I just have a hard time believing it would be worth it for a Summit owner to upgrade. Just curious what your perspective is, since you have actually made that transition.

Psycho,

Appreciate your clarifications regarding the light question. Yes, you did answer the question. Thank you. I was not being cynical.

Given the fact that you are the only person who has posted on this site regarding the difference between the legacy model and the "X" that I'm aware of, I am also curious regarding the price / performance issues raised by Rich.

Any additional insights would be most appreciated.

GG

Last edited:
Back