Interconnect selection

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadaBing11

Reaction score
Hi everyone , I finally broke down and bought a Cary SLP 98P preamp for my system ( Bryston 4 bsst, ML Ascents, Denon 3910 modded by Alex Peychev)

The Cary will replace my bryston preamp. I will need new RCA interconnects between the Cary Pre and the bryston amp. Any suggestions?

I am trying to get a warmer fuller sound. I am feeling the Cary will move the dial quite a bit in this direction, but I have no clue as to what interconnects to buy.

Help me please!

Thanks

Bing:afro:

I can only advise you to find reviews of the preamp and see what was used. If you bought the Cary from a dealer, he may be able to help.

Sorry but I don't have experience with your electronics.

Hi everyone , I finally broke down and bought a Cary SLP 98P preamp for my system ( Bryston 4 bsst, ML Ascents, Denon 3910 modded by Alex Peychev)

The Cary will replace my bryston preamp. I will need new RCA interconnects between the Cary Pre and the bryston amp. Any suggestions?

I am trying to get a warmer fuller sound. I am feeling the Cary will move the dial quite a bit in this direction, but I have no clue as to what interconnects to buy.

Help me please!

Thanks

Dear Bing, You have hit on one of the most difficult areas in setting up a system. You are mating two pieces from different manufacturers that will have different impedance characteristics and voicing. There is no right answer to this quiz. I would suggest that you sample a few ICs before plunking down your cash. The best way to do this is by using a service like The Cable Company which will lend you samples of several ICs to try. Your only cost is return mailing (not expensive for cables). This way you can actually hear them in your system. You really want a relatively neutral cable since you may change components in the future and you don't want to be stuck with a cable that works only with one component. The Cable Company folks are very knowledgeable and can work with you at whatever price point you want. Plus they often have used cables for sale at great prices.
Hope this helps
Lawrence

If you are looking for a neutral sounding cable, you might read the reviews of the Kimber Kable Hero. These cables can be bought used for about $125.

Thanks all,

Good advice. I didn't know about the Cable Company, that sounds like a great place to start. I found a dealer today that sells both Cary and Bryston, am waiting to speak to a tech that has been there more than three months.

I also have heard good things about Kimber Cable and Tara ( sp?) Labs.

Appreciate all the feedback.

I beleive the Cary pre will give you more warmth to the sound. I previously years ago also had a Bryston pre and amp also. Cardas golden reference is considered a cable that will add warmth. I use it for speaker cables along with golden ref xlr ic's , however I have switched equipment since the Bryston combo.

The cable company is a great suggestion, I wish we had something like that in Canada.

Cheers, Greg

Help me please!

Thanks

Why dont you look on www.soniccraft.com and buy some lengths of really exotic interconnect cable off the reel along with some decent plugs to go on the end of them. For around $100 or less you can end up with sounds that are as good as or better than the most expensive Kimbers.

Bing,

There is no correct recommendation or answer to this issue. And the sky is the limit regarding price.

You simply MUST audition in your own system and make your own determination if you want to make an informed decision.

Remember about "break in" if that is an issue with the particular wire you are auditioning. Most wire, IMHO, needs to be burned in before it reaches its optimal performance.

X2 regarding the Cable Company.

GG

Back