Amp Question

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run 2 channel all the time for music and watching movies ( 1080 projector & 92 inch screen ) My take on it is if the 2 channel is done properly, there is no need for the surround sound gimickery.No one has ever complained about the sound while watching a movie here.

2 channel is pretty good on movies if you only have 1 person watching the movie. As soon as you have anyone sitting outside of the sweet spot, it is garbage.

Totally disagree with you. I take the middle seat for music as my wife doesn't listen to any. For movies, I take a side seat due to time spent listening to music and the sound is awesome. You can see the seating arrangement in my system pictures on the 2nd set of pictures down from the 1st set.

I would say a lot has to do with the 2 channel equipment used , and of course the main factor being the room it self which most tend to ignore.

The room is fully acoustically treated.

Last edited:
If you've got a 1 person sweet spot (which I've yet to see a system that legitimately had more than a 1 person sweet spot), you're leaving a lot behind sitting off axis. You're definitely listening to 75% one speaker. It sounds good, sure, but you lose the spacial cues that make the movie soundtracks exciting.

Hello,
The problem with using an AVR or low current Amplifier is that while you will get sound, the highs will be rolled off. This is because, with Electrostats, the high frequencies are the most challenging for an Amplifier.

The lowest Impedance with Electrostats is above 10,000 Khz. With the Vista, it is as low as 0.8 Ohms. With Conventional Speakers, the Bass Section is when the Impedance is at its lowest.

This is really unfortunate as the Highs are where ESL's shine. Without enough Current, you are really not getting the best out of the Speakers.
Cheers,
JJ

If you've got a 1 person sweet spot (which I've yet to see a system that legitimately had more than a 1 person sweet spot), you're leaving a lot behind sitting off axis. You're definitely listening to 75% one speaker. It sounds good, sure, but you lose the spacial cues that make the movie soundtracks exciting.

Agreed. And this is especially true with most panel speakers including ML's. And acoustic treatment is not going to make up for the problems inherent in off axis listening. If you can honestly say your system sounds as good off axis for movies as it does on axis, then you may not have your system set up correctly to get the best sound in the sweet spot. But from your comment on "surround sound gimmickry" my guess is that you really have no idea how good a movie soundtrack can sound, especially on a properly set up multichannel system.

Agreed. And this is especially true with most panel speakers including ML's. And acoustic treatment is not going to make up for the problems inherent in off axis listening. If you can honestly say your system sounds as good off axis for movies as it does on axis, then you may not have your system set up correctly to get the best sound in the sweet spot. But from your comment on "surround sound gimmickry" my guess is that you really have no idea how good a movie soundtrack can sound, especially on a properly set up multichannel system.

x2. Esp. with the new Blu-ray soundtrack (DTS-HD, Dolby HD), the surround sound is amazing! There is no gimmickry!

I heard a full ML set up in surround, Statements for the main speakers, Prodigy's for the rears, 2 descents and ML center channel, All Classe amps and much preferred the system when it was ran in 2 channel over the surround set up.It was night and day just hearing the statements by them selves as opposed to the whole surround set up.

Last edited:
I heard a full ML set up in surround, Statements for the main speakers, Prodigy's for the rears, 2 descents and ML center channel, All Classe amps and much preferred the system when it was ran in 2 channel over the surround set up.It was night and day just hearing the statements by them selves as opposed to the whole surround set up.

What choo talkin bout willis

Back