Dynamo failing to power on - trying diy fix!

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sneogi

Reaction score
I own the original Dynamo subwoofer (2006 model) - matched with a pair of Preface & Encore (CC). The Dynamo unit I had bought used few months ago and was running quite well!

Just couple of days ago I saw no output and no LED light! Heres the ongoing saga for your info/comment/advice!

As I am comfortable tinkering with electrical stuff, I opened the back panel and probed the power supply using a multi-meter. Nothing looks burnt or anything - I guess thats a good sign!

I am finding the 110V power being supplied properly (fuse is ok). However on the output side of the power supply board (another pair of Red & Black wires) - I see no output voltage! Possibly this board is not working?!

So I contacted the ML service folks and they immediately responded to my email. The ML rep (Dana Brown) agreed with my findings and suggested swapping the internal power board out for $100 (unfortunately the warranty for sw expires in 3 years!). He also offered to repair it at ML facility at $45/hr rate and would not take more than 30 min if its the power unit.

I am debating what to do - replacing the power board by myself wont be a big deal - my only concern if there is a bigger problem!! He also suggested if the problem persists I can send it out for repair. I am tending towards fixing the power board myself and go from there ... any thoughts?

Thanks,
Sudipto Neogi.

Quick update - went ahead and ordered the power supply board today - will be in the mail by tomorrow. Hoping thats where the problem is ...

Back