A couple of peeves about movies...

MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum

Help Support MartinLogan Audio Owners Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hocky

Reaction score
1 - Aspect Ratios. 16:9 became the standard a long damn time ago, so use 16:9! Don't give me any BS about artistic touches, creativity, etc; I don't care. I want the movies to fit the screen on my TVs!

2 - Stop playing bass frequencies through the LFE track for things like background music. Don't punish me for the people that have inadequate and/or improperly configured theater set ups. Screw them - obviously, they do not care about a good experience, anyway. Use it correctly. The LFE track is for low frequency EFFECTS only!!! I do not want to hear the subwoofer unless there is something happening that is supposed to make the nails back out of the walls.

Sorry, that has been building up lately. lol

I don't watch very many movies at all, but I have one too.

3 - Don't expand the dynamic range beyond all realistic comprehension. I don't want to have to turn my amplifier up to 99 to hear quiet passages or dialogue, then get blasted out of my seat by some stupid sound effect. For the same reason as (2) above - don't make me suffer because of someone else's inadequate or inappropriately set up system.

FWIW, I use a separate system for video. There is video nothing in my listening room.

Last edited:
3 - Don't expand the dynamic range beyond all realistic comprehension. I don't want to have to turn my amplifier up to 99 to hear quiet passages or dialogue, then get blasted out of my seat by some stupid sound effect. For the same reason as (2) above - don't make me suffer because of someone else's inadequate or inappropriately set up system.

Absolutely true. Inglorious Basterds was terrible about this!

And on that same note, sometime dynamic range of dialogue is far too little. Normal conversation and someone yelling as loud as they can are often times at nearly the same level and the emotion is lost. Compensating for someone with a center channel that is cranked up too high and will be forced to clipping on heavily dynamic dialogue? :-\

Last edited:
1 - Aspect Ratios. 16:9 became the standard a long damn time ago, so use 16:9! Don't give me any BS about artistic touches, creativity, etc; I don't care. I want the movies to fit the screen on my TVs!

So use the zoom function of your TV. You get a picture that fills your screen and the rest of us see the whole movie, as the director intended. We're both happy campers!

PS 1:2.35 became a standard movie ratio long before 16:9 was invented...

I understand that 16:9 is certainly not the cinema standard, but it is what it is. Pick a format and use it. Any film can be accomplished with any set aspect ratio. And the zoom function is a not an acceptable solution. lol.

16:9 is not a movie standard - seems to me more like an industry "scam" to sell yet an other "standard" to the public so that they can later introduce a "new" movie standard.
And what comes to dynamic range of movie, well all I can say is that as a music lover I am jealous of they practice (anybody heard of loudness war?). Modern multichannel processors dont have a problem limiting dynamics if so is wanted where as anything missing from the program material is gone forever.

Quick and easy:

16:9 is not a movie standard - seems to me more like an industry "scam" to sell yet an other "standard" to the public so that they can later introduce a "new" movie standard.

Agree.

And what comes to dynamic range of movie, well all I can say is that as a music lover I am jealous of they practice (anybody heard of loudness war?). Modern multichannel processors dont have a problem limiting dynamics if so is wanted where as anything missing from the program material is gone forever.

Disagree.

Artificial and unrealistic dynamics are even more annoying and destructive than compression.

And I don't use a processor - the system connected to my telly is a 2-channel purist system also.

But in the final analysis - who cares? I watch about 2-3 movies a year. And usually I fall asleep before they finish.

Last edited:
Back